Denon D7100?!
Aug 31, 2012 at 9:15 AM Post #856 of 1,920
Quote:
The red finish on them is actually pretty expensive to produce, it's a specific japanese finish that I can't remember the name of made from a poisonous plant and takes tons of work to create.

I do really wish they released a varnished wood version for a few hundred less, though.

Ya same for me, Urushi maybe popular in Japan but I really don't care, I am not sure how much they over-charge for this finish. 
Hope they reduce price by going for rosewood, mahogany or even bamboo ? or give me plain cheap plastic cups I have Martin Custom to make me black and white ebony cups :)

Anyways, after seeing all the reviews from experts here, I wish I can buy TH900 one day. 

Aug 31, 2012 at 10:10 AM Post #857 of 1,920
Mine 900's did just arrive 1h ago, and the pic's doesn't make them justice, that's for sure!
The finnish are just truly stunning!, a piece of art if you ask me!
Everything about them are just oozing quality! =D

Just want my new amp. to be here too now! =/

Aug 31, 2012 at 11:00 AM Post #858 of 1,920
Quote:

Ya same for me, Urushi maybe popular in Japan but I really don't care, I am not sure how much they over-charge for this finish. 
Hope they reduce price by going for rosewood, mahogany or even bamboo ? or give me plain cheap plastic cups I have Martin Custom to make me black and white ebony cups :)

Anyways, after seeing all the reviews from experts here, I wish I can buy TH900 one day. 

Yeah, I suspect a significant part of the TH900 price is for the finish alone.  It's one of those things that in Japan is a status symbol in the extreme designating "this is a headphone for the truly elite" and if someone sees you with one it sets your status as "truly elite."  In the US it's just some pretty red wood except to those who actually know what it is and why it's special, but nobody else will go "ooh, ahh" over it. 
tongue.gif
  If they'd clad it in Dior fabrics or something it would have a similar appeal here
biggrin.gif

On the other hand, there's D7100 and the midrange of doom.....$2k for some pretty red wood looks better all the time...
evil_smiley.gif

Aug 31, 2012 at 11:11 AM Post #859 of 1,920
hahaha, so I can be an elite audiophile by wearing "Urushi" headphone in Japan, :)
I better save 2k soon :)

and I am not sure I will buy Denon AH-D7100, IMO looks like beats wanna be.

Aug 31, 2012 at 2:48 PM Post #862 of 1,920
Quote:
D7100s need Urushi cups.

D7100 needs a lot more than red lacquer....I'd worry about getting the D7100 some mids before getting them $800 Urushi cups
evil_smiley.gif

One interesting thing though is the custom Android an iOS apps for the new "Maniac" headphones....great marketing spin and a great way to get some buy -in by providing a whole "system" for how people are likely to use them

Quote:
To be honest for the price of the TH900 I think I'd rather get a nice stat system. 

Yeah, TH900 was on my list of possibilities but I went the HE-6 route instead.  But I think TH900 is a great option for those who need a conventional headphone that can plug into conventional sources without worrying about amping.  If you're bent on building a custom headphone rig, yeah, TH900 is kind of an overpriced waste.

Aug 31, 2012 at 3:22 PM Post #863 of 1,920
Quote:

... TH900 is kind of an overpriced waste.

Personally not interested but oh well... you pay for that fancy Urushi paint job :) 

Aug 31, 2012 at 5:29 PM Post #865 of 1,920
Sep 1, 2012 at 2:49 AM Post #866 of 1,920
Quote:
Interesting.

OK, it was a slight exaggeration on my behalf, they don't kill it completely,after all they have some assets but i just didn't think they worth the price especially after the fact that denon ah-d7000 was 200$ cheaper, more beautiful and soundstage, midrange and bass surpassing new model by quite a margin.What triggered me to buy them was an article where the guy talks about that Denon went further and besides that they are improved in sound you don't feel them on your head and submerse in music completely.Well, i personally didn't think that after 100 hours of burning in. My Flac files had some distortions in treble, there was some strange hum when silent picked up from my soundcard (never happened before:e-mu 1616) and for some strange reason vbr files sounded better than flac? I went through female vocals,classical, electronic music,jazz and indie rock but nothing made me jump up the chair, no WOW-factor,except only for one album that sounds great on any headphones anyway:)) Also,I'm a DJ of analog electronic music with lots of phat sounds  like Kraftwerk or Eno, Roedelius and Moebius for example and the sound just didn't do it for me,sorry. Maybe for 200$ they would be ok but 1200$-no and no again.Now I'm just out of the options for a new pair of ah-d7000 and  thinking of ah-d5000 since it's an old line as well. I never heard them but really wish they are not much worse than ah-d7000 that i miss so much now. I could gone LCD way long time ago but comfort means a lot for long time listening and if only they were as comfortable as my old denons:) The  amp i was using is Musical Fidelity M1 HPA.

Sep 1, 2012 at 3:05 AM Post #867 of 1,920
The real world impressions seem to be quite different that the early reviews of the prototypes, it makes me wonder if Denon made any last-minute changes to the production model.

Sep 1, 2012 at 4:02 AM Post #869 of 1,920
Quote:
The real world impressions seem to be quite different that the early reviews of the prototypes, it makes me wonder if Denon made any last-minute changes to the production model.

Either that or the hype-garbage is finally clearing up. Looks like Denon sold out.

Sep 1, 2012 at 8:16 PM Post #870 of 1,920
I just saw the graphs..... I'm pretty sure the beats pro's measured better......

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/MonsterBeatsPro.pdf
http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/DenonAHD7100.pdf

And its half the price of the new D7100.

What really sucks is that I really liked the D5000, and now it's discontinued before I could gather enough funds to purchase one... I hope to god that someone comes and rescues the Dx000 line.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back