Denon AH-MM400
Sep 3, 2016 at 10:59 PM Post #1,098 of 1,435

I own the D600 and now the MM400. Nope, not a chance. Unfortunately. Sound-wise I still very much prefer my D600, but in terms of comfort and portability the MM400 wins easy. 

i like my D600 but id like something with a little more Bass Slam, YEARS ago i had the D2000 but my ears  gave me trouble for a long time so i thought my problem was permanent, so i sold my audio gear, now they are hard to find new

Sep 4, 2016 at 12:00 AM Post #1,099 of 1,435
  i like my D600 but id like something with a little more Bass Slam, YEARS ago i had the D2000 but my ears  gave me trouble for a long time so i thought my problem was permanent, so i sold my audio gear, now they are hard to find new

I would be surprised to find a new D2000. Even the used ones are going up in price. The MM400 has decent bass, but the D600 has a thicker and deeper bass. I will only use my MM400 on the go (like desktop vs laptop). I think Sony has some bass-heavy headphones, but I don't remember the model that was recommended to me. Ultrasone Pro900 was also recommended to me.

You can also check out amps that have bass boost. I tested the Oppo HA-2 and the bass boost option did give quite a bit, though I found it overwhelming with the D600. 

Sep 4, 2016 at 8:47 AM Post #1,100 of 1,435
Can't wait to try them. A place here in Sydney has them. Thanks for the tip off
smily_headphones1.gif

Did you have a chance to audition the Shures?  

Sep 6, 2016 at 9:06 PM Post #1,102 of 1,435
Ordered my mm400 pair a few days ago, should be arriving in a couple days. I got them over the oppo pm3 because for one, the style immediately grabbed me, but I am looking for a more lively and forward sound which would be better for heavier music like rock and metal. They seem to be close rivals, while the pm3 wins out in popularity. However, I still feel a strong urge to buy both, get myself a pm3 once I get my mm400, just so I have a sort of best of both worlds experience.

Although, at this price range I might even be thinking about what headphones might be better than even my sennheiser HD650 headphones, but to upgrade these things, I'd be looking at the summit fi section, which is obviously stupidly expensive, especially for someone of my income. I'd probably have to upgrade my amp and dac too, if I were to venture into such planes of priceyness. Methinks it might even be a stupid waste of time, because I already don't have any complaints about the sound of my 650s. I'm not sure how it could get any better than the 650s.

Sep 8, 2016 at 7:04 PM Post #1,104 of 1,435
Impressions on the Denon mm400.

For one, I really like the style, the build quality is miles ahead of the Sennheiser Momentum headphones which I upgraded from. The Momentums just feel flimsy, these ones look like the amount of money you spent on them. It's the difference between that thick aluminum headband and the flimsy one, as well as being entirely metal and wood. Gorgeous.

The sound. The sound is noticably more lively than the Sennheiser headphones, a bit warmer. Whereas the Momentums sound a bit thin in their tone, these have a bit of a thicker sound. However, I will say that the Momentum has slightly brighter sound. 

The comfort. Well, I have some sad news. It seems my ears are a bit small for the ear cups. They touch the backs of them and I have been wearing these headphones for a few hours now and I have had some slight soreness in my ears. It's unfortunate because everything else about these headphones seems right.

Not sure whether to return them and get the PM3, or just keep them and get the PM3 later so I have some variety in my choice of headphones, because in every other category these are higher quality than anything else on the market, from what I've seen, next to the PM3, in this price range. 

I wonder also if I could get deeper ear pads, if there's some ear pads that I could replace these with that would make them a bit deeper.

Sep 10, 2016 at 1:07 AM Post #1,107 of 1,435
I had to return mine.

The fit was very bad, my ears was touching the drivers, which made them very incomfortable to wear for any length of time.

And the thing is, my ears are very small (people say that all the time).

Sep 12, 2016 at 12:55 AM Post #1,109 of 1,435
Some time this month, Denon is releasing AH-C820, AH-C720, and AH-C620R. MSRP is under $200 for each.

Haven't seen those so thanks for sharing! Were these shown at IFA like a week or two ago?

Sep 12, 2016 at 5:27 PM Post #1,110 of 1,435
I don't know because I didn't attend.
 The AH-C820 is dual driver, with a separate plug to each driver.
 The AH-C720 is single driver, and has the Denon Acoustic Optimizer ports.
 The AH-C620R has a different kind of driver compared to the other two. That means a cheaper one, probably.

All come with Comply tips and what I find fascinating is these models can be tuned using the Denon Audio App. It will "optimize" (equalize?) the sound, and can be used as a player, too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back