Denon AH-MM400
Apr 27, 2015 at 10:47 AM Post #421 of 1,435
Quick Question,

Does anyone here have bothe the Denon MM400 and the Sony 7520? It would be interesting as to your thoughts on these two phones and how they compare.

Thanks

Apr 27, 2015 at 12:10 PM Post #422 of 1,435
OK, decision made, time to go to my local denon dealer for my brand new m400 now, will be back soon ;] need to do some more tests with it even if it's not gonna satisfy me in 100% in long period (gonna have brand new pair, I was listening to burned in pair, I wonder how long does it take to get the best of it).

Apr 27, 2015 at 12:29 PM Post #423 of 1,435
Actually, it worked out quite easily with me. I read the enabling reviews here, liked the looks, bought it, was blown away by the sound from the very first minute I started listening to them, nothing changed ever since. No brain burn-in needed. I don't feel the way they sound has changed since I bought them. Maybe, it'll change a bit when the pads get flatter. Will see.

These Denons are a hobby killer. Sometimes, I think what should I want from my next closed back headphones, and I can't come up with anything I want to change. I guess the only thing I can do is buy a spare.

Apr 27, 2015 at 1:42 PM Post #424 of 1,435
Sometimes, I think what should I want from my next closed back headphones, and I can't come up with anything I want to change.

While I do think they are great I can think of a few improvements for a v. 2:

* Better cable (sturdier, less cable born noise)
* Better isolation
* Deeper and slightly larger earcups
* More "solid" construction of the headband (including the size adjustment which feels a bit imprecise)
* Include a carrying case and an extra cable

As for the sound… well, I think they nailed that.

Apr 27, 2015 at 3:46 PM Post #425 of 1,435

* Better isolation
* More "solid" construction of the headband (including the size adjustment which feels a bit imprecise)

I agree with all of those improvements. While they aren't bad currently with the exception of the case which is disappointing, those are all things that could always be better. Increasing cup size and pad depth could make them less portable though so it would have to be done in moderation if they're still intended for portable use. I'd personally also prefer I'd they rotated to lie flat too instead of folding up but if they could do both without the headphones feeling flimsy then that would be just perfect!

Apr 27, 2015 at 6:37 PM Post #426 of 1,435

* Better isolation

+1. All those improvements could be made indeed. The headband feels solid enough to me mind you, just that annoying rattle we discovered earlier with the hinge would be my only criticism. I wouldn't touch the sound one bit. It is perfection to my ears.

Apr 27, 2015 at 8:41 PM Post #427 of 1,435
Just picked my pair up today! Had a long audition again in store with them against the B&W P7 but ultimately chose the Denon. Seems much more balanced and less 'shouty' plus I found myself noticing more details on tracks despite the more sparkly treble on the P7. Isolation not as good as the P7 and I kind of liked the firmer hinges and feel of the body of the P7 but give a slight nod to the MM400 in the aesthetics department.

Also a heads up for Canadians, the retailor where I picked these up, said the headphones will likely be getting a markup of near $100 likely within the next month, as will most Denon products in the country. Best to snag these soon if these are on your radar!

Apr 27, 2015 at 9:17 PM Post #428 of 1,435
Where in Vancouver did you get yours?

Apr 28, 2015 at 4:56 AM Post #430 of 1,435
brand new pair is not like burned-in pair, a lot of bass, not too much midrange clarity, no spark/bite, I hope it's gonna be better, comparing to fully burned-in pair at denon reseller there are a lot of differences but for the dynamic driver it is very common to have some hours on it between serious comparisons (diaphragms+suspension), if not it'll be for sale in such form like now

edit: info from denon reseller - denon claims it needs 150-200 hours to sound its best, from my experience with dynamic headphones it's up to 50 hours, usually first 10-20 hours are the most crucial, we'll see ...

Apr 28, 2015 at 10:40 AM Post #431 of 1,435
brand new pair is not like burned-in pair, a lot of bass, not too much midrange clarity, no spark/bite, I hope it's gonna be better, comparing to fully burned-in pair at denon reseller there are a lot of differences but for the dynamic driver it is very common to have some hours on it between serious comparisons (diaphragms+suspension), if not it'll be for sale in such form like now

edit: info from denon reseller - denon claims it needs 150-200 hours to sound its best, from my experience with dynamic headphones it's up to 50 hours, usually first 10-20 hours are the most crucial, we'll see ...
Give them time. Their bass will settle and the rest of the detail will open up. That is what happened with mine.

Apr 28, 2015 at 11:39 AM Post #432 of 1,435
I hope so because now I dont recognize this headphone, especially clarity, speed, upper midrange isn't like it was when I was listening to it the day before

If it won't change over time I am going to return it and get used one demo unit from the same denon reseller that I listened to

hey Romani how long did it take to settle it for you ? 

Apr 28, 2015 at 5:24 PM Post #433 of 1,435
I hope so because now I dont recognize this headphone, especially clarity, speed, upper midrange isn't like it was when I was listening to it the day before

If it won't change over time I am going to return it and get used one demo unit from the same denon reseller that I listened to

hey Romani how long did it take to settle it for you ? 
Around 100 hours. Broke them in by listening to them normally at average volumes, a few hours a day for about a month. Don't stress. The drivers in the demo unit you heard are the same as in the ones you bought. One pair heavily used, yours, new.

Apr 28, 2015 at 5:55 PM Post #434 of 1,435
Around 100 hours. Broke them in by listening to them normally at average volumes, a few hours a day for about a month. Don't stress. The drivers in the demo unit you heard are the same as in the ones you bought. One pair heavily used, yours, new.

They take ~200 hours to fully break in.  see what musikaladin said below:

http://www.head-fi.org/products/denon-ah-mm400-music-maniac-over-ear-headphones/reviews/12468

Users who are viewing this thread

Back