Denon AH-MM400
Apr 29, 2015 at 2:10 AM Post #436 of 1,435
thanks for your feedback guys, now I know why they dont want to sell demo unit, it's only for presentation ...

If I had listened to brand new unit I wouldn't have bought it for sure

so a lot of bass with laid back mids, speed and clarity is normal at the beginning I guess ? Just want it to be much more balanced with more details and sparkle, with more controlled bass

I just plug it to my TV and let it run for a few days on some MTV channel

Apr 29, 2015 at 3:37 AM Post #437 of 1,435
Can anyone compare the mm400 to the Sony z7? , the Sony's are available used for the same price as new denons so I can't make up my mind and there's no way I can try them out here in hawaii, thanks for anybody that can help with this decision

Apr 29, 2015 at 4:19 AM Post #438 of 1,435
Can anyone compare the mm400 to the Sony z7? , the Sony's are available used for the same price as new denons so I can't make up my mind and there's no way I can try them out here in hawaii, thanks for anybody that can help with this decision

I was debating the exact same thing last week - whether or not to purchase the MM400 or a used pair of the Z7 that someone was selling locally for roughly the same price. From what I auditioned of the Z7 previously, it didn't really impress me too much asides from the build quality. Seemed too bassy and overly coloured. The MM400 seemed more balanced to me and more versatile. Extra points for being portable, easier to drive and having  beautiful wood cups that fold up.

Apr 29, 2015 at 4:27 AM Post #439 of 1,435
I was debating the exact same thing last week - whether or not to purchase the MM400 or a used pair of the Z7 that someone was selling locally for roughly the same price. From what I auditioned of the Z7 previously, it didn't really impress me too much asides from the build quality. Seemed too bassy and overly coloured. The MM400 seemed more balanced to me and more versatile. Extra points for being portable, easier to drive and having  beautiful wood cups that fold up.
I've heard both and the MM400s were more my taste.

Apr 29, 2015 at 4:28 AM Post #441 of 1,435
I would definitely take the Denons. The Sonys were pretty mediocre to me for some reason.

Apr 29, 2015 at 4:32 AM Post #443 of 1,435
thanks for your feedback guys, now I know why they dont want to sell demo unit, it's only for presentation ...

If I had listened to brand new unit I wouldn't have bought it for sure

so a lot of bass with laid back mids, speed and clarity is normal at the beginning I guess ? Just want it to be much more balanced with more details and sparkle, with more controlled bass

I just plug it to my TV and let it run for a few days on some MTV channel
Sounds about right. I would use a portable music player/amp or PC rather than a TV.

Apr 29, 2015 at 4:32 AM Post #444 of 1,435
How is the bass on the mm400?, does it still have the denon house sound?. I have the 7100 and 5000 so I'm pretty familiar with it

I owned both the D2000 and D7000 and it's definitely reminiscent of those headphones. Obviously soundstage is not as large as the full size Denons - bass seems more controlled and less boomy but overall quite similar. 

Apr 29, 2015 at 6:24 AM Post #447 of 1,435
After about 10h of playing it started to sound exciting enough to burn-in it listening to some music (having it on ears now), even after this short time it changed a lot, exciting as hell. I also changed source for more bright and detailed now to keep it as much balanced as possible. I feel it's gonna be a bomb when properly burned-in, cello has so much texture, harmonics and such body, can't believe this is closed design with this holography and depth.

edit: played some old LOAD/RELOAD METALLICA stuff, holy ****, this is almost surreal sounding regarding electric guitars saturation and bite, overall punch and soundstage, this is freaking keeper here but it sounds really surprising with classical recordings too (that's why I decided to buy it). Haven't enjoyed these albums so much on many other headphones. Hard to take a break with m400.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back