Denon AH-MM400
Apr 21, 2015 at 7:03 AM Post #391 of 1,435
Thanks Romani, i'm going to order the 3m version of that cable, looks very smart, much better than the stock cable 
wink.gif

Adam.

Apr 21, 2015 at 9:27 AM Post #392 of 1,435
Thanks Romani
, i'm going to order the 3m version of that cable, looks very smart, much better than the stock cable :wink:

Adam.
Welcome Adam. It looks so much better in the flesh. Even better looking than the V-Moda cable that people have been modifying (having owned that cable preciously myself) and way thicker than the B&W P7. You would think it was made for these considering how snug the fit is too. Ebay item I actually got is below:

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=311061670498&alt=web

Apr 21, 2015 at 11:40 AM Post #393 of 1,435
Thanks for the link, though I did manage to find it, but wasn't certain it was the correct cable as it lists as fitting the Denon D400 not the MM400, but I assumed it was the correct one as it fits the same models as the one with the in-line remote.

Cheers,
Adam.

Apr 21, 2015 at 5:32 PM Post #394 of 1,435
Welcome Adam. It looks so much better in the flesh. Even better looking than the V-Moda cable that people have been modifying (having owned that cable preciously myself) and way thicker than the B&W P7. You would think it was made for these considering how snug the fit is too. Ebay item I actually got is below:

Hey Romani,

So it fits good?  How's the sound for you? any difference?

Apr 22, 2015 at 5:34 AM Post #395 of 1,435
I started this thread long time ago and I finally got to listen to these :)

WOW, amazing build quality, very comfortable, typical Denon sound, reminds me of the old AH-D5000, very nice sound, I really have no complains, they could be a little more efficient, but other than that, excellent, these may be my next headphones, we'll see :)

Apr 22, 2015 at 8:49 AM Post #396 of 1,435
  Hey Romani,

So it fits good?  How's the sound for you? any difference?

Extracted from my post on the previous page...

So I took the plunge. Couldn't wait any longer. Will let you know how i go. Expected delivery from ebay is 24 April.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00OQVYTWY/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1428842680&sr=8-1&keywords=Denon+3.5+cable&pi=AC_SX200_QL40&dpPl=1&dpID=515vkkqsXfL&ref=plSrch

So I finally received this today, except I got the 1.2m version off ebay off a seller called low20101020. I will start off with all the good news. It fits perfectly without any alterations. It looks stunning. It does not change the sound relative to the original cable. It is much higher quality and better built than the pictures suggest. My beloved headphones now look like they're worth a grand with the modified cable. Now to the bad news, there is still cable noise when it rubs against your body. In my case, I only ever notice it with the music completely off, so this is not a deal breaker for me personally. This was the exact item I bought on ebay:

Apr 22, 2015 at 11:02 AM Post #399 of 1,435

And for Fidelio X2 too. I just ordered a couple for both my MM400 and X2...
Do you have further comparison thoughts between the MM400 and the PM-3?
popcorn.gif

Well I can't honestly say which one I prefer sound wise, even after all this time with both of them... I will admit the pm-3's have been getting more headtime from me now though, just because the pads have broken in and I find them more comfortable.

I'd say the bass is a little tighter and faster on the pm-3's, the mids are pretty equal on both (really well balanced and a touch warm sounding) and the highs of the mm400's might be a touch better, purely because they have a bit more sparkle which I'm personally a fan of... Both are pretty dang neutral headphones and I can't really fault either of them in any way. If there was one thing I can notice immediately swapping between the two it would be that the pm-3's are just overall faster than the mm400's (not always a good thing, I can get into some of my music a bit more with slower cans). I think that's just down to the planar vs dynamic drivers though.

It really is a close fight sound-wise, they trade punches and so far neither has come out the victor! 
redface.gif

If you have one or the other, not REALLY worth buying the other imo. They both do a fantastic job in the portable headphones category! (hell, even just for over ear headphones in general, I'd say they're still great cans for the money!) 

There are differences in the build and accessories but again, sound is the main factor at the end of the day and they are just different in build and accessories rather than one being better or worse (for example, pm-3's fold flat in both directions while the mm400's fold into a ball shape, either one could be more convenient for different people). I will say again though, the hard case that comes with the pm-3 is nicer than the soft case for the mm400's although it will take up space whether the headphones are in it or not, the bag for the mm400's won't take up much space at all when you're using the headphones and it is a nice bag.

Apr 22, 2015 at 11:09 AM Post #400 of 1,435
Well I can't honestly say which one I prefer sound wise, even after all this time with both of them... I will admit the pm-3's have been getting more headtime from me now though, just because the pads have broken in and I find them more comfortable.

I'd say the bass is a little tighter and faster on the pm-3's, the mids are pretty equal on both (really well balanced and a touch warm sounding) and the highs of the mm400's might be a touch better, purely because they have a bit more sparkle which I'm personally a fan of... Both are pretty dang neutral headphones and I can't really fault either of them in any way. If there was one thing I can notice immediately swapping between the two it would be that the pm-3's are just overall faster than the mm400's (not always a good thing, I can get into some of my music a bit more with slower cans). I think that's just down to the planar vs dynamic drivers though.

It really is a close fight sound-wise, they trade punches and so far neither has come out the victor! :xf_eek:  

If you have one or the other, not REALLY worth buying the other imo. They both do a fantastic job in the portable headphones category! (hell, even just for over ear headphones in general, I'd say they're still great cans for the money!) 

There are differences in the build and accessories but again, sound is the main factor at the end of the day and they are just different in build and accessories rather than one being better or worse (for example, pm-3's fold flat in both directions while the mm400's fold into a ball shape, either one could be more convenient for different people). I will say again though, the hard case that comes with the pm-3 is nicer than the soft case for the mm400's although it will take up space whether the headphones are in it or not, the bag for the mm400's won't take up much space at all when you're using the headphones and it is a nice bag.
Given the fact I thought the MM400's were fast, I am impressed to hear the PM3 are even faster. You have me really curious to go try them out. Having come from the P7 to the MM400, I could not go for any less sparkle on the treble though. I just feel the high end is right on the money with the Denons. Still only one way to check.

Apr 22, 2015 at 11:25 AM Post #401 of 1,435
Given the fact I thought the MM400's were fast, I am impressed to hear the PM3 are even faster. You have me really curious to go try them out. Having come from the P7 to the MM400, I could not go for any less sparkle on the treble though. I just feel the high end is right on the money with the Denons. Still only one way to check.

They're worth an audition imo, very impressive cans. I was totally surprised by the speed too, this is my first experience with a planar though so it did take me off guard.

The treble is still well extended on the pm-3's just not as well extended as the mm400's. The mm400's have a really, really nice balance in the treble though, I very much enjoy it.

Just listened a bit more critically between the pair too, here's what I noticed:

The mm400's have a bit more sub bass (in quantity that is, pm-3 still extends as far as the mm400's, can't really say which has more extension) although the pm-3's are still punchier, I'd say better balanced bass wise too. I really like the very slightly boosted bass of the mm400's though, it's not enough to make them sound bloated at all but it really gives weight to bass heavier music like edm.

The mm400's have a bit of a wider soundstage, pm-3's definitely seem a bit more intimate. Mids are maybe a *touch* warmer on the mm400's than the pm-3's. I think the pm-3's might reveal a little bit more detail than the mm400's as I did notice more random, less present instruments and twinkles in the background than with the mm400's although the flip side of that meant I also noticed more static and whatnot from bad recordings...

It's really hard to compare these headphones as each time I put them on I forget I'm supposed to be comparing them and just end up enjoying the songs I'm listening to... 
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 22, 2015 at 11:57 AM Post #402 of 1,435
Thanks for sharing!
I like neutral sound with a bit warmth in the mids and a bit forward fast bass with good attack. Also, I'm sensitive to treble but the MM400's are just perfect to me. When I listen to them, I forget all about critical listening, just enjoy my music. One of the biggest difference from other headphones for me is they don't exaggerate the music properties, for example pieces with heavy bass don't sound extra boomy, and those with a lot of treble energy don't sound too sharp. They just keep the character of the recordings as I imagine they should sound.

Apr 22, 2015 at 12:54 PM Post #403 of 1,435
  Thanks for sharing!
I like neutral sound with a bit warmth in the mids and a bit forward fast bass with good attack. Also, I'm sensitive to treble but the MM400's are just perfect to me. When I listen to them, I forget all about critical listening, just enjoy my music. One of the biggest difference from other headphones for me is they don't exaggerate the music properties, for example pieces with heavy bass don't sound extra boomy, and those with a lot of treble energy don't sound too sharp. They just keep the character of the recordings as I imagine they should sound.

I agree, that's one of the reasons I found it hard to compare, I couldn't help finishing the songs every time, they're both just really nice headphones to listen to. They get out of the way and let the music do the work! :)

Apr 22, 2015 at 4:15 PM Post #404 of 1,435
  They're worth an audition imo, very impressive cans. I was totally surprised by the speed too, this is my first experience with a planar though so it did take me off guard.

The treble is still well extended on the pm-3's just not as well extended as the mm400's. The mm400's have a really, really nice balance in the treble though, I very much enjoy it.

Just listened a bit more critically between the pair too, here's what I noticed:

The mm400's have a bit more sub bass (in quantity that is, pm-3 still extends as far as the mm400's, can't really say which has more extension) although the pm-3's are still punchier, I'd say better balanced bass wise too. I really like the very slightly boosted bass of the mm400's though, it's not enough to make them sound bloated at all but it really gives weight to bass heavier music like edm.

The mm400's have a bit of a wider soundstage, pm-3's definitely seem a bit more intimate. Mids are maybe a *touch* warmer on the mm400's than the pm-3's. I think the pm-3's might reveal a little bit more detail than the mm400's as I did notice more random, less present instruments and twinkles in the background than with the mm400's although the flip side of that meant I also noticed more static and whatnot from bad recordings...

It's really hard to compare these headphones as each time I put them on I forget I'm supposed to be comparing them and just end up enjoying the songs I'm listening to... 
smily_headphones1.gif

pretty much same relevations i had between the two.  Only difference is I actually felt the MM400 is actually faster sounding than the PM3's.

Apr 22, 2015 at 10:39 PM Post #405 of 1,435
Always refreshing when a headphone allows you to get fully absorbed into the music without a constant thought buzzing in your head going "I wish it did that better". The fact that you're all supposed to be doing comparisons and forgetting to is a testament to that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back