Denon AH-D7000 vs Sennheiser HD800
Jun 3, 2010 at 3:05 PM Post #31 of 94
I had both at one time and agree that they make for a very good duel to own at the same time. When it came down to having to sell one though, I sold the hd800. The bass which is deep didnt have the resonance that I want for pop and the soundstage was just too large to really involve in certain genres. For classical and certain jazz it is hard to beat, but for all around it lacked the fun factor that other genres benefit from. I now have the la7000 which I think is a very balanced presentation with a tight bass kinda like the hd800 but with the ability to have some reverb when the music ask for it. While not being the best can for any one genre, I would say it is an above average contender in every genre. The t1 is the next closest that I have heard to resemble the la7000 signature.

Jun 3, 2010 at 7:23 PM Post #32 of 94
This is the closest post I've seen that I agree with. I had a chance to audition both the 800s (stock, maybe reterminated, can't remember what is stock on the HD800s) and the 7ks (with J$ pads, otherwise stock) at a meet with recordings that I am intimately familiar with (I was there, I made the recording, I've listened to the recording on a eleventy million systems and often at that, in short; I *know* what it sounded like).

A couple of my notes (there are purely my perceptions, take them for what you will): I found them tonally to be similar, and that was my primary factor among others. The Denon's had more bass but I thought it was closer to what I heard during the recording process. The HD800s were excellent at displaying the music, no doubt.

The downsides I found were:
The Denons have more bass then the Senns. The Senns have some strange peak around 6k or 7k (it's under 7.5k and 8, I know that much) that I would have EQ'ed about 3-5db off of. Last, the 800s have just a touch of grit (sounds almost like sand stuck under a high-hat, the HD600s have a lot of it) around the around 7.5k, maybe 9khz. I could hear it in the low end of a cymbol crash and only on occasion, where as I heard liquid in that range for the Denons. The Denons have about a 1db recessed mid range. I thought the Denons reminded me of my Westone UM3X the most of the two.

I'd be content with either and I suspect you probably will be as well, but I personally chose the Denons. On a side note, I got the marklmod 7ks, and they still have thunderous bass, but if when you put them on and shorten the band on top by one click shorter then normal, it resolves that problem (and they sound rather nice after that). The J$ pads seem to sort of lock onto your head more, but that's neither here nor there.

Quote:
I'd take the D7000 as more neutral overall however the bass quality (not quantity) is better on the HD800. I'm one of the people who think that a good headphone will serve you as just one and will be suitable for all music genres, all you need is just find your sound. If somebody advises you to have several hi-end headphones then it means each one sucks in some way so it is no hi-end in the end. The D7000 is kind of hi-fi headphone but a bit fun oriented. Tonally it's pretty accurate, closer to neutrality than the HD800 and it won't make your music corrupted emotionally which IMHO the HD800 does. It turns everyrhing into analysing a dead body. It's presentation lacks emotions, is boring or just dead and you need a supa dupa hi-end components to make them move. The D7000 is low impedance however you will benefit quite much from an amplifier. It's weakest point is the bass. It's fun but not so extended from the lower side and kind of one note. The resonance is well spread all over the mid-bass region so it won't hurt but it's just like a better subwoofer, in most cases satisfying. I chose the Grado PS1000 for myself but I appreciate the D7000 for what they are, and I haven't heard the Beyerdynamic T1 however it's very probable I would recommend it to you as well. Good luck in making the right choice! :wink:

Jun 3, 2010 at 8:54 PM Post #33 of 94

Quote:
Tonally it's pretty accurate, closer to neutrality than the HD800 and it won't make your music corrupted emotionally which IMHO the HD800 does.

And the sky is not blue and things fall up due to gravity.

The timbre of the D7000s is very good, not HD800 good. I would classify the D7000s as a very fun "U" shaped headphone (on my head right now), but they are not neutral...no way...that is simply not true. I can get why some might prefer them to the HD800s, but they are NOT as technically proficient or balanced as the HD800s.

Sheesh.
rolleyes.gif

Jun 3, 2010 at 10:01 PM Post #34 of 94
D7000: fun, musical, keeps your head shakin'
HD800: supa detailed, neutral, head won't shake so much

1 thing i find HD800 definitely beating D7000 is comfort, the pleather pads kinda have this suction feeling on my ears after some time of wearing, even tho they're very soft and hardly clamping, whereas the HD800 cups is big enough to not even touch my ears at all. HD800 is also lighter on the head. 

Nevertheless i do miss my D7000 occasionally when all i want is rockin' bass.

Jun 4, 2010 at 6:10 AM Post #35 of 94
You've probably already stated this somewhere in the threads relating to the T1 and the HD800 but here seems as good a place as any for a thread hijack.  I know that at some point I will own one of these phones (and I'm not ruling the PS1000 out just yet either).  I mainly listen to contemporary jazz combos.  I also know that you are fortunate enough to own both the HD800 and the T1.  If you could only have one of them and listened predominantly to modern jazz, which one would it be?

Quote:

The timbre of the D7000s is very good, not HD800 good. I would classify the D7000s as a very fun "U" shaped headphone (on my head right now), but they are not neutral...no way...that is simply not true. I can get why some might prefer them to the HD800s, but they are NOT as technically proficient or balanced as the HD800s.

Sheesh.
rolleyes.gif

Jun 4, 2010 at 9:45 AM Post #38 of 94

Quote:
Thanks Paganini Alfredo but I'll await MacedonianHero's response just to be sure.

Tough call, really tough, but in the end Paganini Alfredo is correct. The sound stage and shear detail on the HD800s are top notch, but the more bass impact (to hear the stand up bass more clearly...important for me and jazz music) and the "more musical" presentation of the T1s give them the leg up.
dt880smile.png

Honestly though, no wrong choice here...just preferences.

Jun 4, 2010 at 10:15 AM Post #39 of 94
^ There's no doubt about that Paganini Alfredo is there?  Thanks MacedonianHero.  When you describe the T1 as "more musical", it's an ambiguous term that I also use when I'm describing a phone that I find engaging.  However, I tend to associate it with a sound signature that leans more toward the coloured rather than the neutral.  What do you mean by it? 

Jun 4, 2010 at 10:37 AM Post #40 of 94

Quote:
^ There's no doubt about that Paganini Alfredo is there?  Thanks MacedonianHero.  When you describe the T1 as "more musical", it's an ambiguous term that I also use when I'm describing a phone that I find engaging.  However, I tend to associate it with a sound signature that leans more toward the coloured rather than the neutral.  What do you mean by it? 

Just in comparison to the HD800s that can be at times overly clinical. The T1s are still neutral, but manage to do so without being overly clinical (hope this helps).

Jun 4, 2010 at 10:42 AM Post #41 of 94
Just read the post above yours. Equalization has nothing to do with timbre accuracy. Equalization is something that is done on almost each recording. BTW, respect professionals and their ears.
evil_smiley.gif

Quote:

Sheesh.
rolleyes.gif

Jun 4, 2010 at 10:53 AM Post #42 of 94

Quote:
Just read the post above yours. Equalization has nothing to do with timbre accuracy. Equalization is something that is done on almost each recording. BTW, respect professionals and their ears.
evil_smiley.gif

But you need BOTH for a balanced sound don't you? The tonal accuracy of the PS1000 is indeed very good, but the linearity of it's presentation is very coloured. I still prefer the tonal accuracy (timbre) of the HD800s.

Jun 4, 2010 at 11:07 AM Post #43 of 94
How linearity can be colored?
confused_face_2.gif
It is higher or lower and that's it. The PS1000 are equalized to resemble the Fletcher-Munson isophone, The HD800 are equalized to resemble... I don't know what. The D7000 are a bit bass heavy. The HD800 could be consider as quite flat but their presentation isn't extremely accurate IMHO. There is something like slight coloration added while the PS1000 and the D7000 add nothing to the tone.

Jun 4, 2010 at 11:33 AM Post #44 of 94

Quote:
How linearity can be colored?
confused_face_2.gif
It is higher or lower and that's it. The PS1000 are equalized to resemble the Fletcher-Munson isophone, The HD800 are equalized to resemble... I don't know what. The D7000 are a bit bass heavy. The HD800 could be consider as quite flat but their presentation isn't extremely accurate IMHO. There is something like slight coloration added while the PS1000 and the D7000 add nothing to the tone.

????

Non-linearity is coloured, plain and simple. It changes the presentation originally intended by the artists and that is coloured. The HD800's presentation is straight across the spectrum (unlike the PS1000 or especially the D7000). That way the bass is set within the sound stage in perfect proportion to the vocals and in turn in proper proportion to the cymbals, etc...

The D7000's bass is not a bit bass heavy. They are truly bass heavy. When listening to the HD800s the tone is among the best of any can I've heard. The D7000s (which I also own) are not in the same league IMO...period.

Jun 4, 2010 at 11:34 AM Post #45 of 94
Pardon my ignorance but can someone please explain what linearity means when describing the way a headphone reproduces sound?

EDIT:  You got in before me MacedonianHero.  I understand now thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back