Denon AH-D7000 vs Sennheiser HD800
Mar 25, 2010 at 8:42 PM Post #16 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by Necrolic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You're not going to get a straight up answer on this from anybody who has heard both. They are COMPLETELY different headphones, and different people will prefer one or the other. There is no "right" answer to this question.

From a purely technical standpoint, the HD800s far exceed the D7000s, but they also require a setup of $1500 at the minimum not including your headphones to sound anywhere near your potential (that's an estimate price, not a fact), whereas the D7000s sound good out of just about anything.

The HD800s are far more analytical and neutral than the D7000s, and due to this are bad for poor recordings unless you like listening to every flaw in the recording.

Generally, for rock/pop/electronic/most blues the D7000s would be my choice in a second, but for anything that benefits from a good soundstage/detail retrieval/neutrality the HD800s would be my choice (classical, jazz, acoustic, Pink Floyd/Radiohead/other prog rock bands).

Have you considered the T1? It is pretty much the closest to the middle of the road between these two cans you'll find and apparently performs well with just about anything. It's a little warm of neutral, but still very neutral, with a large soundstage, although not on HD800 level, has fantastic detail retrieval, and is very musical.

It's also the middle of the road in price.

Close the thread, we have a perfect answer.

Mar 25, 2010 at 8:47 PM Post #17 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nachkebia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Close the thread, we have a perfect answer.

I agree - Necrolic really nailed it.

Mar 25, 2010 at 9:38 PM Post #18 of 94
Necrolic and the others said pretty much everything. The only thing I disagree with is that electronic music, what I listen to 90% of the time, is vastly superior on the HD800 to my ears. The recessed midrange and strange highs on the D7000 fall extremely short of what the HD800 is capable of. That doesn't even take in to account how superior the soundstage of the HD800 is, which to me is a huge part of certain genres of electronic music such as progressive house and trance.

Also, I know it seems almost like a stereotype now around these parts that the D7000 has this amazing bass and the HD800 is supposedly light on the bass, however I find the exact opposite to be true. The HD800s bass quantity and quality is superior to the D7000, it's just that very few will come away with that impression upon a quick listen because of just how exaggerated the mid bass hump is on the D7000. If a track is solidly mastered with an excellent bass range, as in drum & bass and hip hop, the low bass from the HD800 will hit and resonate far beyond the D7000.

In terms of technical superiority it is no contest. The HD800 without breaking a sweat. You can check my profile and see what headphones I've been through. I've owned many headphones classified around here as "fun", such as the D7000. What I see many label as fun is what I now consider boring. "Fun" headphones tend to slap a similar kind of sound signature upon any track you listen to, regardless of the artist. This gets old with time and experience, mark my words. There are very few headphones that have the ability to let you hear exactly what was recorded both good and bad. The HD800 is one of those. The D7000 is not.

Mar 25, 2010 at 9:41 PM Post #19 of 94
I too agree with Necrolic. D7000/T1/HD800 = Closed/Semi-open/Open. Very nice set to cover any kind of music you would like to listen.
biggrin.gif

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Mar 25, 2010 at 9:47 PM Post #20 of 94
It should be clear for everybody reading this forum for now that if you want something that is balanced with every genre, it is not very hard to drive, it has great bass and great musicality, also pleases almost everybody who has them is T1. period. you have proper amp and grand to spend, just get T1 and relax and enjoy music.

Mar 25, 2010 at 9:57 PM Post #21 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by musicman59 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I too agree with Necrolic. D7000/T1/HD800 = Closed/Semi-open/Open. Very nice set to cover any kind of music you would like to listen.
biggrin.gif

I would actually refer to the Denon D2000/D5000/D7000 headphones as semi-semi-open. (Or is that semi-semi-closed?) There is clearly a small opening where the plastic or wood cup meets the round, outermost metal frame. When they are disassembled, it is clear that, internally, there is no tight seal within, either. At least that is what I've observed, which may account for the lack of isolation that Denons exhibit.

Mar 25, 2010 at 9:59 PM Post #22 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by trungkien978 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i think i can put it this way
if u play CD player then you can use HD800
if u store music in computer then you can use D7000

i don't really see why you would say that

Mar 25, 2010 at 10:06 PM Post #23 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nachkebia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It should be clear for everybody reading this forum for now that if you want something that is balanced with every genre, it is not very hard to drive, it has great bass and great musicality, also pleases almost everybody who has them is T1. period. you have proper amp and grand to spend, just get T1 and relax and enjoy music.

Interesting. That isn't clear to me at all.
confused.gif

Mar 25, 2010 at 10:11 PM Post #24 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What is definitely true is that they are different enough that they are two headphones that make really good stable mates - so I recommend to buy both
evil_smiley.gif
evil_smiley.gif
evil_smiley.gif

That's what I was thinking... especially if you can get a good deal on the Denons.
L3000.gif

Mar 26, 2010 at 12:03 AM Post #25 of 94
Yes both.

Just got to have different headphones for different genres of music: grado rs 1 for rock, ah-d7000 for pop and dance/hip hop and hd800/akg 240M for jazz, standards, classical, vocals and acoustic driven music.

The only headphone I use to listen to all kinds of genres when I'm on the road or lazy is the jh13pro.

Mar 26, 2010 at 1:34 AM Post #26 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by MacedonianHero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
More importantly, what do you prefer?

Fun and bassy or pure, clear and neutral?

In my term, kinda like SUV or Sports car..

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What is definitely true is that they are different enough that they are two headphones that make really good stable mates - so I recommend to buy both
evil_smiley.gif
evil_smiley.gif
evil_smiley.gif

I totally agree
biggrin.gif

Apr 4, 2010 at 3:06 PM Post #27 of 94
hi
i'm vacilliate on these 3 too.
and my question is , does the burson ha160 can drive the t1?
thanks by advance.
wink.gif

(I know that's inapropriate to post a question on an other's topic, but I didn't
want to create a topic that speak of the same thing.)

Jun 3, 2010 at 9:24 AM Post #29 of 94
I'd take the D7000 as more neutral overall however the bass quality (not quantity) is better on the HD800. I'm one of the people who think that a good headphone will serve you as just one and will be suitable for all music genres, all you need is just find your sound. If somebody advises you to have several hi-end headphones then it means each one sucks in some way so it is no hi-end in the end. The D7000 is kind of hi-fi headphone but a bit fun oriented. Tonally it's pretty accurate, closer to neutrality than the HD800 and it won't make your music corrupted emotionally which IMHO the HD800 does. It turns everyrhing into analysing a dead body. It's presentation lacks emotions, is boring or just dead and you need a supa dupa hi-end components to make them move. The D7000 is low impedance however you will benefit quite much from an amplifier. It's weakest point is the bass. It's fun but not so extended from the lower side and kind of one note. The resonance is well spread all over the mid-bass region so it won't hurt but it's just like a better subwoofer, in most cases satisfying. I chose the Grado PS1000 for myself but I appreciate the D7000 for what they are, and I haven't heard the Beyerdynamic T1 however it's very probable I would recommend it to you as well. Good luck in making the right choice! :wink:

Jun 3, 2010 at 12:07 PM Post #30 of 94
Listen to both of them 1st then decide. Hd800 is without a doubt technically superior to the d7000 but that doesn't mean you will definately like it over  the denons.. Although the hd800 is pretty good at details and soundstage, it's kinda bright and lean imo. Prob it needs tube amps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back