Denon AH-D7000 vs Sennheiser HD800
Aug 21, 2010 at 11:54 AM Post #91 of 94
Quote:
I currently own the D7000 and drive them with an Elekit TU-882 tube headphone amp.  I really enjoy the combo but have been itching to try these cans with a nice, warm, transparent, solid state amp.  They sound great on tubes, but I feel like they could sound a bit more exciting with a solid state amp.  Only problem is I fear they might start sounding a bit too bright on solid state.  Right now, with this combo, this is about as bright as I can comfortably tolerate.

I haven't had the chance to hear the HD800, but just from all the descriptions I've read, they don't sound like the right headphones for me.  Something about the D7000s....they just sound so sweet, musical, and enjoyable.  To me, that's what this is all about.  But I imagine that detail freaks would love the HD800.

I couldn't have said it any better.  I'm using them with the WA22 and with certain tubes they do sound a bit bright and sharp, but I think I've found the perfect combination to really make these headphones shine (shine... I mean in a good way :)).  They're incredibly involving and full of detail.  And the bass... if these headphones didn't have such refined and killer bass, they would sound very detached and lifeless.

One day I'll build a balanced beta22 and see what all the solid-state fuss is all about.

All in all, you really can't go wrong with the D7000s, especially considering the cost.  If you can get them for the Head-Fi discount (~$600 or so), it's really a no-brainer compared to paying ~$1k for the HD800s.  They'll serve you well with nearly any type of music, as well as movies and gaming.

Aug 21, 2010 at 12:12 PM Post #92 of 94

Quote:

... it's really a no-brainer compared to paying ~$1k for the HD800s.  

Except for buying them used, where can you buy a pair of 800's for ~$1K 
confused_face_2.gif

Apples and oranges.
To sum it up, the D7000's are a fun headphone with lots of bass , good midrange and enjoyable highs.
The HD800's are more clinical, give you a much larger soundstage, and have a bass that is not for bass heads. 
If you are listening to jazz, classical and complicated rock, the 800's will nudge the 7000's out. If you like classic rock,
modern jazz, and electronica, the 7000's are a better bet.
I've had both and always found myself gravitating towards the 7000s more. When it comes to looks, the 7000's win hands
down and can be obtained for less than half the price.
Also, keep in mind, that the 7000's are a closed can and the 800's are not, so you will hear all outside noises with the 800's 
and people will hear what you're listening to. 
If I had a $1000 to spend, I would get the 7000's, and use the extra $400 and put it towards music and accessories. If I had
$2300 to spend, I would buy them both. I feel that the 800's are overpriced by about $300, and the looks are an acquired taste.
Hope this helps.
Quote:
... it's really a no-brainer compared to paying ~$1k for the HD800s.  

Aug 21, 2010 at 12:22 PM Post #93 of 94

Quote:
I couldn't have said it any better.  I'm using them with the WA22 and with certain tubes they do sound a bit bright and sharp, but I think I've found the perfect combination to really make these headphones shine (shine... I mean in a good way :)).  They're incredibly involving and full of detail.  And the bass... if these headphones didn't have such refined and killer bass, they would sound very detached and lifeless.

One day I'll build a balanced beta22 and see what all the solid-state fuss is all about.

All in all, you really can't go wrong with the D7000s, especially considering the cost.  If you can get them for the Head-Fi discount (~$600 or so), it's really a no-brainer compared to paying ~$1k for the HD800s.  They'll serve you well with nearly any type of music, as well as movies and gaming.

I read somewhere that the 4 channel B22 had less treble and bass presence than 3 or 2 channel builds.  Any amp that can pull a little away from the bass and treble would be ideal.

May 4, 2012 at 1:00 PM Post #94 of 94
I say Sennheiser HD800 is about $600 overpriced IMO with respect to the other headphones currently going on sale/based on the sound quality. (ex, D7000 $600, T1 $1000, LCD2 $900, etc)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back