DENAFRIPS FPGA Firmware Update (12TH Anniv.)
Mar 15, 2023 at 12:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1,124

alvin1118

Member of the Trade: VinShineAudio
Hey guys,

Greetings!

It has been a while since I start a new thread on a forum. I thought I should take the initiative to create this thread to consolidate the comments/update/feedback of the DENAFRIPS FPGA Firmware Update (12TH Anniversary) project.

12th ANNIV. FPGA FIRMWARE

To commemorate DENAFRIPS’s 12 years of digital audio excellence, DENAFRIPS engineers have been working on a new 12th Annv. FPGA Firmware to improve the sound quality, add features, bugs fixed, update software and keep your device up-to-date.

Areas of Improvement:
  • Improved Adaptive FIFO Buffer & Reclocking Architecture
  • Reduced the effect of Buffer overrun/underrun due to the Source's Clock and the DAC's Clock differences
  • Reduced Audio Latency
  • Eliminate Phase Difference between L/R Channels
  • Optimised DSP to improve the sonic performance

We will be rolling out the firmware by stages, starting with the Ares II / Enyo DAC. Firmware(s) for the Pontus / Venus / Terminator II/Plus will be rolled out at a later date.

Steps:
1. Identify the FPGA chip used in the DAC
2. Submit a FPGA Firmware Request via the webform found in the link below
3. Vinshine Audio shall provide a Firmware Update Tool (FUT) specifically made for the particular FPGA chip and DAC model
4. Use a Mac or Windows computer to update the firmware as detailed in the link below

Readmore:
https://www.vinshineaudio.com/post/denafrips-12th-fpga-firmware-update

Log:
* 16th March 2023 - We have received no less than 500 firmware update requests so far. Several customers upgraded the DAC firmware successfully and posted their feedback on the forums.

Feel free to use this space to share, discuss, and comment on the firmware update procedures, difficulties you encountered, how you resolve it, and most importantly, how do you find the new firmware functionality and sound wise.

Happy listening!

Mar 15, 2023 at 2:02 PM Post #2 of 1,124
Firmware sounds awesome!!! :)

Mar 15, 2023 at 2:42 PM Post #4 of 1,124
Looking forward to try it tonight after my son go to sleep LOL.

Thanks for the fast e-mail reply Alvin!!!
What, so you can wake the poor kid up with loud music after you reflash your DAC?! :wink:

Mar 15, 2023 at 3:17 PM Post #5 of 1,124
What, so you can wake the poor kid up with loud music after you reflash your DAC?! :wink:
LOL you joke but this is why I've been cursed to use closed headphone so it doesn't wake my son up, also my wife won't complain she can hear my girly music (she's referring to female singers) when she's watching Korean drama on Netflix. :laughing:

I'll attempt open headphone again one day, but upgrading the Ares II FPGA firmware first LOL.

Mar 15, 2023 at 3:44 PM Post #6 of 1,124
LOL you joke but this is why I've been cursed to use closed headphone so it doesn't wake my son up, also my wife won't complain she can hear my girly music (she's referring to female singers) when she's watching Korean drama on Netflix. :laughing:

I'll attempt open headphone again one day, but upgrading the Ares II FPGA firmware first LOL.

156vxq.jpg

Mar 16, 2023 at 9:05 PM Post #10 of 1,124
I got an email back saying they will send it to me in the next few days. Guess they're getting slammed by requests
I imagine so. The thing is, they could (in theory) just put all the firmware online with instructions on how to pick the right one, but then how many people would brick their DACs by flashing the wrong firmware? I've always been impressed by Alvin and Vinshine, and this whole exercise only increases my admiration.

Mar 16, 2023 at 11:55 PM Post #11 of 1,124
just put all the firmware online with instructions on how to pick the right one

Indeed, we could upload all the firmwares on our website. But as you rightly pointed out, this exposes higher risks where the likelihood of flashing the wrong firmware is - much higher(!).

We would rather give up some sleep, work round the clock, provide the correct FUT to the owners to minimise the risk. Despite the firmware update project is taking a lot of our resources, we actually quite enjoy the process where we get to interact and catch up with our good-old-customers.

It's also very encouraging and rewarding, especially so when they customers are happy with the sound quality improvements.

:)

Mar 17, 2023 at 11:07 AM Post #13 of 1,124
Been trying to update the firmware on my Ares II but keep getting error 044. Anyone run into this? I know one other person got this error but it auto fixed itself.
That was me. Reboot the computer and check the Denafrips driver. If you are on windows 11 it should finish when it boots, Then the driver should display the upgrade firmware code. At least it did for me. If the driver shows the upgrade installed then do not try to reflash or you will just get that error 044 again. I looked up the Altera details. Seems 044 means that the source code in the fpga is the same as the code you are trying to flash. Why Windows 11 gives that error on the first flash I do not know but it does update. At least it did for me.

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2023 at 3:27 PM Post #14 of 1,124
Anyone else find the update makes Ares2 a tad too bright?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back