DAP-off! Astell&Kern, Sony, HiFiMan, Chord, FiiO, Lotoo, Soundaware, Hiby, Cayin & others
Aug 28, 2014 at 11:43 PM Post #691 of 2,125
They let you smoke inside?

For two grand you could buy a cheap mp3 player and spend the rest on whiskey to drink while listening. This would at least put a new slant on double blind testing!

Anyway, I guess the existence of such massively expensive portable music players is essentially serving the same function as high end cars - they give people with too much spare money an ego massage when they are forced to mix with the smelly proles...

A joke, of course, moderators.

Except with high end cars, one would be at the centre of attention and have actual performance figures to boast. 
Take an AK240 out in public, everything will think you're a weirdo. 

Aug 28, 2014 at 11:56 PM Post #692 of 2,125
Except with high end cars, one would be at the centre of attention and have actual performance figures to boast. 
Take an AK240 out in public, everything will think you're a weirdo. 

Need to deal with your insecurities. Don't worry what others think. Worry how it sounds to you.

Aug 29, 2014 at 12:12 AM Post #694 of 2,125
Need to deal with your insecurities. Don't worry what others think. Worry how it sounds to you.

Don't be mean 
frown.gif

Aug 29, 2014 at 12:13 AM Post #695 of 2,125
@SilverEars Definitely the X5 IMO doesn't have a fantastic amp stage (unless you're only using IEMs). iPods and iPhones likewise.

@Fungus I don't think taking an AK240 out in public is a big deal. It looks like a music player so I have no trouble using it on public transport with CIEMs.

Aug 29, 2014 at 12:18 AM Post #696 of 2,125
I tried AK240 balance to HD800 before. Unfortunately, I dont agree with how it  sounds on HD800 (a little too narrow). Anyway, I bought he AK240 for (c)/iem purposes so it didnt bother me one bit. it was a lot worse when using the HD800 on Fiio X5. I am a strong believer that DAPs are meant to be used with c/iem.

Aug 29, 2014 at 12:19 AM Post #697 of 2,125

I'm inclined to feel that the "true line out" thing is irrelevant, for various technical reasons. It would make most DACs "not true DACs" by the same logic.

With the AK240, if you were going to use it as a DAC to another amp, I'd suppose that would be to a home system or similar, as it has quite a sufficient amp for full-sized headphones already. If I was going to care so much about gain stages and whatnot and spend money getting mods done to an AK240 and adding on an amp and spending a lot of money, I'd just buy an AK100II (as a transport) and a Hugo and be done with it if I was going to build rig the size of half a brick.

As for the Tera player, as I understand it, the output impedance of it is too high for it to work with many sensitive IEMs (eg: Multi-BA) without an amp. 

I always assumed the Tera player had a very low impedance since it's marketed to driving IEM extremely well but lack power for full headphones. 
I'm now wondering, what exactly is it good for? 

Aug 29, 2014 at 8:08 AM Post #704 of 2,125
When I take the RWAK240 and the SE5 out in public, women start tearing my clothes off. This hobby is starting to cost me a lot in indirect costs.

So its real that they do sell human organs in mainland China. Hope your kidney is still intact, Mim.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back