DAP-off! Astell&Kern, Sony, HiFiMan, Chord, FiiO, Lotoo, Soundaware, Hiby, Cayin & others
May 28, 2014 at 9:00 AM Post #302 of 2,125
  ZX1 uses a class D digital amp chip, which takes a digital signal and using PWM amplifies it, the PLL is the clock, the Charge Pump converts the signal into frequency output via voltage oscillator.

Just looked up Class D amp.  It takes in analog, modulates it, and stretches the modulated signal and outputs the analog after filtering. I guess it's called Digital amp because the analog gets modulated to PW.  It has higher power efficiency that's all.  The problem is if there happens to be a timing glitch..

May 28, 2014 at 9:10 AM Post #303 of 2,125
  Quote:
  Does anyone have the specs for the ZX-1? What DAC chip(s) is uses and its power output? I couldn't seem to find it. 

Sony like Apple doesn't have to use off the shelf parts.  They use these:

And yes like Apple most of the space is screen and battery.

It doesn't use a dac chip like most daps. Here is a post about its class D type setup: http://www.head-fi.org/t/680853/sony-nwz-zx1-35th-walkman-anniversary-model/285#post_9842562

This clears out any interest I had in the Sony 
biggrin.gif

May 28, 2014 at 10:06 AM Post #304 of 2,125
  Just looked up Class D amp.  It takes in analog, modulates it, and stretches the modulated signal and outputs the analog after filtering. I guess it's called Digital amp because the analog gets modulated to PW.  It has higher power efficiency that's all.  The problem is if there happens to be a timing glitch..

Class D can also take digital signals and convert to PWM, there is no analog input signal in the ZX1,  just digital.

May 28, 2014 at 12:02 PM Post #305 of 2,125
  The top left of the picture is the ZX1's custom digital amplifier chip presumably made and designed by Sony, while other daps use an off the shelf dac chip. The significance is that Sony's chip works like no other dac, being a digital amplifier rather than a digital to analogue converter. Those 4 capacitors in the picture work with the digital amplifier in a phase locked loop charge pump configuration, another design unique to the ZX1, not found on other daps. Not saying its a better design, but it certainly is a very modern and interesting design. The design is only in its infancy being the first time something like this has ever been implemented in a dap, I really look forward to Sony innovating further on this design in future daps and lessening its short comings.

May I ask where you got this information from? The language is somewhat misleading --- that is to say, PWM principles are very similar to those of a charge pump, but to my understanding, not in the way you're describing it. Either that, or I don't understand your wording.

First, the caps shown (Sanyo OS-CON) actually are linked with the inductor behind them as the analog LC low-pass filter. This is the most critical part for the subjective sound of the whole system because it filters away switching noise caused by the MCU IC, and needs to be low noise enough for a high-quality audio signal. That's why Sony chose the OS-CON for the analog section.

With regard to the PLL, while I'm no electronic engineer, the PLL is synchronized in step with the clock oscillator (which acts as a transport clock for the digital data), which locks the PWM timer (aka the Sony MCU IC) in phase to pulse modulate a high quality voltage reference (e.g. 3.3V), regulated by LDO linear regulators. To my understanding, the "charge pump" that modulates this specific generated voltage is contained within the surface-mount POSCAP capacitors (which is more suited for high-frequency switching applications than the big round OS-CON caps, and can't really be seen in the pictures shown).

S-Master HX works in a "full-bridge" manner, meaning it uses differential input for both L and R channels, so it processes half the signal with negative voltage and the other half with positive voltage and the result is summed. [EDIT: Yes, this means the ZX1 can somehow be modded for balanced output] Volume control is determined by directly altering the analog voltage output. Assuming a perfectly stable voltage reference, this means zero loss of dynamic range at any volume. These are the two diagrams that are most telling regarding the design of S-Master HX on the F880 series and the ZX1 are these two:

The MCU IC in the pictures is central to the performance of the entire system because it determines and controls the switching frequency, as well as the stepping of each pulse. The finer the stepping, the greater the resolution, and the more precise the voltage reference, the greater the resolution. Sony seems to only be able to get S-Master HX to perform to 16-bit precision (which is darn good by PWM DAC standards; if you used an Arduino, chances are you'd get 8-bit resolution, or if you're lucky 10 to 12-bits).

The bottom line is, S-Master HX is cool, but it has a lot of technical challenges ahead of it. I find that my F886 is lacking in resolution, and the ZX1 similarly so. Sound output on the ZX1 is refined, however, pointing to the high quality power regulation (also why Sony was able to eliminate DC blocking caps at the output, as each differential channel is ground-referenced and centered) and good LPF design that Sony installed.

May 29, 2014 at 1:48 AM Post #306 of 2,125
^ Your completely correct in your whole analysis, I had mixed up os-con with poscon before. You have outlined the ZX1 design very well! I do hope Sony continues development and engineering on the S-Master chip, the speed of the sound is unbeatable, although it does lack resolution and power, if those things could be improved Sony would be on to something big.

May 30, 2014 at 5:51 PM Post #307 of 2,125
So, do any of these have a noticably easier to read in sunlight screen?  I use my DAP outside during breaks at work, and some are almost impossible to read in sunlight....

thanks for any suggestions

May 30, 2014 at 7:57 PM Post #308 of 2,125
  So, do any of these have a noticably easier to read in sunlight screen?  I use my DAP outside during breaks at work, and some are almost impossible to read in sunlight....

thanks for any suggestions

?
biggrin.gif

Jun 2, 2014 at 10:02 PM Post #310 of 2,125
Looking to buy a new portable source for CIEM,s only. Is it with the trouble of the Hugo as needing a transport . I Have a iPhone 5 64 gig to,use. Now if I buy a ak240 I am done . Is the Hugo that much better with CIEMS. I could see if it would be used with cans as they would be more reviling .
Any ideas ?
Al

Jun 3, 2014 at 10:25 AM Post #311 of 2,125
Looking to buy a new portable source for CIEM,s only. Is it with the trouble of the Hugo as needing a transport . I Have a iPhone 5 64 gig to,use. Now if I buy a ak240 I am done . Is the Hugo that much better with CIEMS. I could see if it would be used with cans as they would be more reviling .
Any ideas ?
Al
To me, for SQ purely, Hugo>901>AK240. As a whole portable package, AK240 will be the best, but I find it much too expensive for the SQ. Whereas Hugo is not. All IMO.

Jun 3, 2014 at 10:39 AM Post #312 of 2,125
Thanks for the view it helps. As I would like the ak240 for its simplicity but as SQ is tops I have to do the Hugo .
I have a Hugo to listen to tomorrow in NYC. I am taking my HDP r10 as transport and a comparison for sound I have low and hirez and dsd as well . I will bring the jh13 fp and the Roxanne's so I have both ultra details and ultra dynamics to listen for . So I am ready
Al

Jun 3, 2014 at 10:45 AM Post #313 of 2,125
Thanks for the view it helps. As I would like the ak240 for its simplicity but as SQ is tops I have to do the Hugo .
I have a Hugo to listen to tomorrow in NYC. I am taking my HDP r10 as transport and a comparison for sound I have low and hirez and dsd as well . I will bring the jh13 fp and the Roxanne's so I have both ultra details and ultra dynamics to listen for . So I am ready
Al
Hugo is top of the heap technically but on the surgical side, so if you are hoping for sweetness move along...I myself might give the RWAK240 a try.

Jun 3, 2014 at 10:50 AM Post #315 of 2,125
 So I guess your not selling the 901 then? :basshead:
Not yet, but still might, depending on the RWAK...to be fully honest I am a bit pissed that I followed people's opinion and tried the 240. It is a very good player, and I am not as disapointed as I was with the 120, but I do not find it to be the DAP that walks on water some people make it to be...people cannot help to judge based on price. Trust your ears people, they are the only ones who must be truthful as they have to live with you afterwards.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back