DAP-off! Astell&Kern, Sony, HiFiMan, Chord, FiiO, Lotoo, Soundaware, Hiby, Cayin & others
Jun 3, 2014 at 11:01 AM Post #316 of 2,125
Not yet, but still might, depending on the RWAK...to be fully honest I am a bit pissed that I followed people's opinion and tried the 240. It is a very good player, and I am not as disapointed as I was with the 120, but I do not find it to be the DAP that walks on water some people make it to be...people cannot help to judge based on price. Trust your ears people, they are the only ones who must be truthful as they have to live with you afterwards.

Well, you have to try to satisfy your curiosity and if ure still not happy, you have the classifieds..Im sure head fiers still want to own one..(with a loss to you of cos)

Jun 3, 2014 at 11:06 AM Post #317 of 2,125
This is why I love this place. If you stick around long enough to get to know
Some people. You get to learn who is really good people.
And you get to know honesty not hype.
As I am sure they are all good at most. There some of us who want
Certain features above all else. And this is where the post s here excell
If you are willing to read many threads. I too have bought devices on hype and found out later after hearing it
Damn it's not that good. I really just want the best sq and I M willing to cart around two pcs.
So it's Hugo in the morning.
Thanks.
Al

Jun 3, 2014 at 1:40 PM Post #318 of 2,125
Not yet, but still might, depending on the RWAK...to be fully honest I am a bit pissed that I followed people's opinion and tried the 240. It is a very good player, and I am not as disapointed as I was with the 120, but I do not find it to be the DAP that walks on water some people make it to be...people cannot help to judge based on price. Trust your ears people, they are the only ones who must be truthful as they have to live with you afterwards.

I've gotten a few PMs from people who own the AK240, but find themselves disappointed at how they've spent their funds. I may have a go at it soon myself.

A suggestion...

Instead of dumping even more money into the AK240, why not get the DX90? The same people who sent me those PMs also said the DX90 is equal, if not preferable, to the AK240's SQ, and the UI is pretty good too. My experience with high end DAPs has left me somewhat sour, but it may be worth checking into for you. For 1/5th of the cost of the AK240, I don't think you have anything to lose. 

Also check out the Light Harmonic Geek Out if you can. I find that it destroys everything I've heard in the DAP world, even the HM901. 

Jun 3, 2014 at 2:24 PM Post #320 of 2,125
Wow that is not cool. Anyway currawong and few others I trust do say the Hugo,is a good choice as it has no GUI and as such is just a DAC amp combo the likely hood of it being really good is above the daps . Furthered by the fac a iphone as a transport makes this all,the better. So of I go with two ears I will say what I hear. As a post. The hdpr10 sounded better than my ak 120 so using it as comparison shroud be ok.
Al

Jun 3, 2014 at 2:42 PM Post #321 of 2,125
Light Harmonic Geek is not a DAP, and from what I can make out it's not portable?
So is that a like for like comparison?
My M-DAC is better than 901 too!

Jun 3, 2014 at 3:12 PM Post #323 of 2,125

I assume you're also interested in the development of the LH Geek Wave DAP?
I sure am, but March 2015 seems so distant :/

Not really, to be honest. With the iOS 8 announcement yesterday, my iphone will only improve further as a DAP. Plus the upcoming iPhone 6 is sure to be another marvel, with even greater speed, UI, etc.. Apple has long used custom Cirrus Logic chips in their phones, and now that Cirrus is acquiring Wolfson and its secrets, I'm sure fireworks are ahead for the end consumer of Apple devices.

Light Harmonic Geek is not a DAP

Jun 3, 2014 at 3:14 PM Post #324 of 2,125
It's tough to beat apple as long as it works without there screwing you. They have a great gui.

Jun 3, 2014 at 5:06 PM Post #326 of 2,125
To me, for SQ purely, Hugo>901>AK240. As a whole portable package, AK240 will be the best, but I find it much too expensive for the SQ. Whereas Hugo is not. All IMO.

So what you are saying is the cost of the AK240 to be used as all in one unit is not worth the money it costs, but if you add the Hugo which is another $1500 then its worth it?
Cause you cannot use the Hugo by itself right?

Jun 3, 2014 at 7:12 PM Post #329 of 2,125
  So what you are saying is the cost of the AK240 to be used as all in one unit is not worth the money it costs, but if you add the Hugo which is another $1500 then its worth it?
Cause you cannot use the Hugo by itself right?

You forget that you can use the Hugo with the $350 Fiio X5's digital input that has support for 2 SD cards and OTG.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back