Crack;Bottlehead OTL
Jul 12, 2014 at 11:24 PM Post #5,522 of 12,347
FWIW - 1/8th to RCA cable won't affect the sound, unless it's put together poorly. 

The ODAC is an excellent option, imo. As is the AMB Gamma1 or Gamma 2. If you are building your own, they are well within budget. Having them built will probably push you over a bit, though. 

Jul 13, 2014 at 6:14 PM Post #5,523 of 12,347
  What kind of connectivity do you need? I assume just USB since you were considering the E10K?

Take a look at the iFi iDSD Nano, that thing has no business sounding as good as it does for that price. They occasionally pop up on the For Sale forum for cheaper and on MusicDirect as 'open-box demos' for around $160.

Yes, I am using a USB source.

I really like your suggestion, the iFi iDSD Nano looks perfect for my needs. Its outputs and portable nature are exactly what I'm looking for. Thanks so much.
  Schiit Modi. And it has the RCA outs. Hard DAC to beat for the price.

I originally had a Modi, but it was a bit too blocky for my liking. However I do agree; it has incredible value!

FWIW - 1/8th to RCA cable won't affect the sound, unless it's put together poorly. 

The ODAC is an excellent option, imo. As is the AMB Gamma1 or Gamma 2. If you are building your own, they are well within budget. Having them built will probably push you over a bit, though. 

Thank you for your answer. I thought the ODAC was very attractive, however, for the same price as the iFi iDSD Nano, its limited output and and controls doesn't make it as attractive.

I would like to thank everyone who has helped me and answer all my questions. I'm a relatively new member who posted in the wrong section, but was only met with friendly advice. What a great community!

Jul 16, 2014 at 3:14 AM Post #5,524 of 12,347
@Aeolus Kratos.. you've got my custom built Crack, man!  All the way down to the BlueJeansCables RCA and BH power cord.. sweet.. glad it landed in good hands!  Hope you're enjoying it.. it's a badass rig.. I miss it.

Jul 16, 2014 at 4:46 AM Post #5,525 of 12,347
  @Aeolus Kratos.. you've got my custom built Crack, man!  All the way down to the BlueJeansCables RCA and BH power cord.. sweet.. glad it landed in good hands!  Hope you're enjoying it.. it's a badass rig.. I miss it.

Hi FlySweep,

Haha, how do you know I've got your Crack? I'm really loving it! It was truly superior to my previous speedballed Crack ( which doesn't have all the capacitor and attenuator upgrades ), thank you very much!
smily_headphones1.gif

BTW, I'm not sure what the driver tube you included is, the box says 'Tung-sol 12AU7 ECC82 Long Black Plate', but the brand name was all 'faded out' on the glass, and the plate is somehow not really 'black', it's kind of grey-black. Here are some pics of the tube I received:

To the left is a RCA Cleartop, the plate of the 'Tung-sol' is somehow 'darker' than the RCA. But I can't call it totally 'black', so I'm not sure. It sounds great, though.

Jul 16, 2014 at 1:49 PM Post #5,526 of 12,347
FYI - when you see the tube type enclosed by an octagon, the tube was made by RCA.

Jul 16, 2014 at 2:25 PM Post #5,527 of 12,347

Hi FlySweep,

Haha, how do you know I've got your Crack? I'm really loving it! It was truly superior to my previous speedballed Crack ( which doesn't have all the capacitor and attenuator upgrades ), thank you very much! 
smily_headphones1.gif

BTW, I'm not sure what the driver tube you included is, the box says 'Tung-sol 12AU7 ECC82 Long Black Plate', but the brand name was all 'faded out' on the glass, and the plate is somehow not really 'black', it's kind of grey-black. Here are some pics of the tube I received:

To the left is a RCA Cleartop, the plate of the 'Tung-sol' is somehow 'darker' than the RCA. But I can't call it totally 'black', so I'm not sure. It sounds great, though.

How do I know?  Hmm.. I've just got a feeling.  
wink_face.gif
.  The input tube I sent with the sale (can't remember who it was sold to off the top of my head, atm) was the Tung Sol "black/gray plate" 12AU7 you pictured.. even sent in that box (that's a big time tube, btw.. one of the best 12AU7s I've heard).. and the cables I included were those cables pictured.  That Crack sounded heavenly with the HD650.. man!

Jul 17, 2014 at 12:28 AM Post #5,528 of 12,347
Well it looks like I will be keeping my Crack after all. Lots of lookers but no takers. Oh well, I probably would have had sellers remorse anyways.

At the moment I'm enjoying the soundtrack from the movie "Master and Commander" via Oppo BDP-83 > Asus DAC > Crack > HD800. So good :D

Jul 17, 2014 at 12:13 PM Post #5,531 of 12,347

How do I know?  Hmm.. I've just got a feeling.  
wink_face.gif
.  The input tube I sent with the sale (can't remember who it was sold to off the top of my head, atm) was the Tung Sol "black/gray plate" 12AU7 you pictured.. even sent in that box (that's a big time tube, btw.. one of the best 12AU7s I've heard).. and the cables I included were those cables pictured.  That Crack sounded heavenly with the HD650.. man!

Very nice! I'm really enjoying your Tung-sol 12AU7. It seems like you were very surprised that I've got all the cables included in your sale. But guess what, I think it will be even more surprising for you if you see this
wink.gif
:

Jul 17, 2014 at 1:17 PM Post #5,532 of 12,347
Well it looks like I will be keeping my Crack after all. Lots of lookers but no takers. Oh well, I probably would have had sellers remorse anyways.

I had seller's remorse, so I built another one. Then I sold it to buy something else. Then I had seller's remorse so I built another one. Then I sold it to buy something else... so far so good... but maybe that's because I'm out of money...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back