Crack;Bottlehead OTL
Oct 19, 2014 at 6:13 PM Post #6,107 of 12,346
Well I have lost count of how many times my finger has hovered over the buy it now button for the 12au7 to 6sn7 adapter but I finally bit the bullet and headed down the 6ns7 rabbit hole!

Its so far so good with my first purchase, a early NOS National Union 6ns7gt black glass and it is proving to be real Cracker! Pleased to report no adapter noise issues either as some have experianced.

Oct 20, 2014 at 10:04 PM Post #6,109 of 12,346
Finally got a chance to upgrade my volume pot to a stepped attenuator from ebay. So far I'm really happy with it. balance is perfect at any volume and much detailed and cleaner sound even on lower volume which with the stock volume control I need to crank the volume a 

bit more to hear the same details. Then again it might just be in my head :) overall quite happy with the upgrade

Oct 20, 2014 at 10:25 PM Post #6,110 of 12,346

I keep meaning to install an attenuator. Can you post the ebay address.

Oct 20, 2014 at 11:22 PM Post #6,111 of 12,346
Sure it's http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/301339516227?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649 

Oct 21, 2014 at 2:48 AM Post #6,112 of 12,346
  Finally got a chance to upgrade my volume pot to a stepped attenuator from ebay. So far I'm really happy with it. balance is perfect at any volume and much detailed and cleaner sound even on lower volume which with the stock volume control I need to crank the volume a 

bit more to hear the same details. Then again it might just be in my head :) overall quite happy with the upgrade

Neat work Mahdi its hard to see in the pic but if you have not done so the left and right grounds on the attenuator need linking together from a safety stand point.

Oct 21, 2014 at 4:42 AM Post #6,113 of 12,346
  Neat work Mahdi its hard to see in the pic but if you have not done so the left and right grounds on the attenuator need linking together from a safety stand point.

I believe I see that joint on the 2nd to right ground wire. Looks like grounding was done to the outer ring to connect both grounds. I could be mistaken, as I can't off-hand remember which ground is connected to the top and bottom ring, and the photo is a little blurry at that spot.

However, using those spots to solder all the connectors to was quite smart. I used the conventional spots in my Stereomour, and it meant cutting the shielded wire to different lengths. A bit of a pain in the end, and this looks much easier.

Oct 21, 2014 at 4:50 AM Post #6,114 of 12,346
yeap that right I've liked the ground to the outer link I reckon it's going to be a cleaner solder than having a separate cable joining the ground. I didn't do it at first actually and it causes a horrible humming sound

Oct 21, 2014 at 8:25 AM Post #6,115 of 12,346
  yeap that right I've liked the ground to the outer link I reckon it's going to be a cleaner solder than having a separate cable joining the ground. I didn't do it at first actually and it causes a horrible humming sound

It was pretty smart routing them that way.

On the Stereomour I ended up with a ground cable that was just slightly too short, so needed to ground it on the outer ring. All of my ground wires were difficult to attach because of the varying lengths between in/out and ground. I never seemed to get the lengths right first time.

Interesting comment about the hum without linking the grounding. I wanted to see the difference, but completely forgot to leave out the that connection. On the Stereomour I do not have the grounds connected as the schematic did not call for it, but I have no problem with hum.

Oct 21, 2014 at 2:51 PM Post #6,116 of 12,346
Added the schiit modi, new spiked feet and waxed the wood 
size]

Oct 22, 2014 at 9:51 AM Post #6,117 of 12,346
  Added the schiit modi, new spiked feet and waxed the wood 
size]

It seems like you're using a pair of Morrow Audio ICs if I'm not wrong. Which model do you use? I've enjoyed my MA-3 very much! :)

Oct 22, 2014 at 5:51 PM Post #6,120 of 12,346
Bottlehead has a sale of $95 off Speedball when you purchase the Crack!!!

"This week only, order a Crack amp kit for $279 and you can add the Speedball upgrade kit for just $20! (regularly $115) Offer ends Sunday October 26th."

http://bottlehead.com/?product=crack-otl-headphone-amplifier-kit

Users who are viewing this thread

Back