Crack;Bottlehead OTL
Jan 5, 2014 at 12:42 PM Post #3,466 of 12,346
  Started my Speedball today and need to buy a stronger magnifier.  I feel like I'm a brain surgeon.  The next level in miniaturized electronic's is going to be a blast to build. By the way, I'm 73 with only vision in one eye. If I can do it, you can.

I know that feeling and I am 45! and just managed with my old magnifier on the speedball build. The week before Christmas I found a 2.5x magnifying glass with 2 LED lighting modes for £4.99 at my local Lidl store. I  was expecting it to be a cheap plastic affair but was quiet surprised at the quality machined aluminium construction, it has a nice weight to it. It also came with a zipper case and 2AA batteries included and a 5 year warranty . I wonder how they make and ship things like this for the money and why some plastic fantastic products cost so much.

I was so surprised at the quality I googled it and found a little review.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?145561-LIDL-Magnifying-Glass-with-LED-Lighting

Jan 5, 2014 at 12:46 PM Post #3,467 of 12,346
That is really cool!

I know that feeling and I am 45! and just managed with my old magnifier on the speedball build. The week before Christmas I found a 2.5x magnifying glass with 2 LED lighting modes for £4.99 at my local Lidl store. I  was expecting it to be a cheap plastic affair but was quiet surprised at the quality machined aluminium construction, it has a nice weight to it. It also came with a zipper case and 2AA batteries included and a 5 year warranty . I wonder how they make and ship things like this for the money and why some plastic fantastic products cost so much.

I was so surprised at the quality I googled it and found a little review.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?145561-LIDL-Magnifying-Glass-with-LED-Lighting

Jan 5, 2014 at 1:06 PM Post #3,468 of 12,346
I think I may have a defective tube on my hands...  I cleaned the pins with steel wool and contact cleaner and I still get the same crackling.

More than anything, I want to ensure that my amp isn't frying tubes for some reason 
eek.gif

Is that a possibility, or am I just crazy?

Jan 5, 2014 at 2:02 PM Post #3,469 of 12,346
  I think I may have a defective tube on my hands...  I cleaned the pins with steel wool and contact cleaner and I still get the same crackling.

More than anything, I want to ensure that my amp isn't frying tubes for some reason 
eek.gif

I'd let the amp run for a few days to cook the tubes in a bit.  A very common source of crackling is a flaky solder joint. 

Jan 6, 2014 at 6:03 AM Post #3,470 of 12,346

eek.gif

Well, there surely could be something going on with the tube. Odd behavior from a vacuum tube is a sign that the tube is at end-of-life. There is no simple way to describe what could go wrong, because there are lots of ways they can fail.

I would highly suggest trying other tubes. My favorite 12AU7's are d-getter Mullards, but you might spend $100 for one of them on ebay. If you're on a budget and/or just want something else to check it out with, I suggest an old American made tube, particularly the long black plate variety. But honestly, any old American made tube will sound awesome compared to the stuff made today.

Jan 6, 2014 at 12:03 PM Post #3,471 of 12,346
It's not always a sign that tube is at the end of it's life. Tubes that have been in storage can lose a bit of vacuum, and the cathode could need some heating time to reform. Running them for a while can activate the getter and improve the cathode emission. If it's just making a little crackling or rumbling noise it won't hurt anything and it's worth cooking it for a while before you write it off. If it's making loud cracking and arcing over inside it does need to be tossed.

Jan 6, 2014 at 4:39 PM Post #3,472 of 12,346
Interesting...  I tend to leave my amp on...  Too long (I forget 
blink.gif
).  Thank you everyone for the advice.

I cleaned the pins and that *seems* to have fixed the problem.

I really love this amp though.  I ordered a RCA 6AS7G black plate to go with my ECC82
bigsmile_face.gif
.  Thanks for a great amp, Doc!

Jan 7, 2014 at 1:30 AM Post #3,475 of 12,346
Thought I'd let everyone know that I've just listed my Crack w Speedball for sale 
eek.gif
 and a bunch of tubes too, including the ever popular GEC 6AS7 straight brown base for about $70 less than I could find on eBay!

http://www.head-fi.org/t/698768/melbourne-bottlehead-crack-speedball

http://www.head-fi.org/t/698771/various-6080-and-12au7-tubes-and-equivalents

Jan 8, 2014 at 10:54 AM Post #3,476 of 12,346

eek.gif

This can also be a funky solder joint.  If you have crackling in both channels, I would start with the power supply. 

Jan 8, 2014 at 11:07 AM Post #3,477 of 12,346
  Thought I'd let everyone know that I've just listed my Crack w Speedball for sale 
eek.gif
 and a bunch of tubes too, including the ever popular GEC 6AS7 straight brown base for about $70 less than I could find on eBay!

http://www.head-fi.org/t/698768/melbourne-bottlehead-crack-speedball

http://www.head-fi.org/t/698771/various-6080-and-12au7-tubes-and-equivalents

The Mainline is forcing you to retire your Crack?

Jan 8, 2014 at 11:08 AM Post #3,478 of 12,346

This can also be a funky solder joint.  If you have crackling in both channels, I would start with the power supply. 

Thanks.

It's just the right channel.  It is much better now since I cleaned the pins on the tube.  Oddly enough, it still happens when I leave the amp for several hours.

Jan 8, 2014 at 12:52 PM Post #3,480 of 12,346

The Mainline is forcing you to retire your Crack?

At this rate he's probably going to recycle those funds into building their monoblocks...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back