Crack;Bottlehead OTL
Jan 9, 2014 at 9:53 PM Post #3,497 of 12,335

Pretty sure that this one will do it from Jaycar: http://www.jaycar.co.nz/productView.asp?ID=PS0192&w=6%2E5mm+stereo&form=KEYWORD

The only question is whether the Crack needs a switched one or not. This one isn't switched, but there is an equivalent, switched one for 40c more. I think switching is only required for shorting speaker outputs like on the S.E.X. Here's the link for the switched one though in case you need it: http://www.jaycar.co.nz/productView.asp?ID=PS0190&w=6%2E5mm+stereo&form=KEYWORD

Thanks. So I need a switched on? The one I got was $3.50 from surplustronics, but it doesn't have looped tags which will make it more difficult to solder, and the Nuetrik ones I found that others have recommended only have 3 tags at all, and I couldn't even work out how you would make that work since the wiring diagram needs 6.

Jan 10, 2014 at 6:10 AM Post #3,499 of 12,335

Jan 11, 2014 at 3:50 PM Post #3,500 of 12,335
Its been both fun and confidence building adding a couple of mods to my BHC over the last week. Earlier today it was the turn of the JB Capacitors, JFX 100uf 250v premium film caps. 
grin.gif

I still need to add some insulating tape to the cap leads and connecting wires, I will pick some up on Monday I'm a bit to worried about getting my hot air gun to close to use heat shrink sleeving.

Also on the first pic you can see how the Valab attenuator only just fits inside the case. I had glued some corner braces to the case and needed to remove one of these for the Valab to fit.

Jan 11, 2014 at 6:23 PM Post #3,502 of 12,335
Looks great. Can't wait to read your impressions of the cap upgrade.

Initial impressions are very good, much better than I was expecting which is a pleasant surprise.

I'm planning to let them burn in for 50+hrs or so before committing any thoughts to paper just to see if anything changes during this burning in period.

I also need to spend a bit more time listening, firming my thoughts and impressions of what is happening and more importantly how to put those thoughts down. At the moment I am at a bit of a loss to actually describe in words the effects on presentation I am hearing.

Jan 11, 2014 at 6:46 PM Post #3,503 of 12,335
You could use heatshrink if you heat it with a lighter, that way your quick and precise with the heat being applied. Or alternatively use some PTFE tubing which you can pick up from someone like hificollective.

Jan 11, 2014 at 7:16 PM Post #3,504 of 12,335
i make adapters for my amp and when  i use heatshrink i use my soldering iron i just rub it against wrap works for me 

Jan 12, 2014 at 12:20 PM Post #3,509 of 12,335
For $200 to $300 DAC, what should I get for my Crack and HD 600. Thinking of ODAC for it's neutrality and give the rest to Crack to color etc... But is there any good DAC, perhaps better than ODAC?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back