Crack;Bottlehead OTL
Jan 2, 2014 at 3:11 PM Post #3,436 of 12,347
You have to realize its 275 + 125 + shipping + solder and tools to build it + a couple of days to build it+ putting the base together and finishing it +sanding and finishing  the aluminum plate. I wouldn't sell mine for 550, thats for sure. I would think closer to 700. Suck it up and build it yourself. VERY EASY!!

Jan 2, 2014 at 4:50 PM Post #3,439 of 12,347

OK I have some new info on this which may or may not be of help in your case but it worked for me.

I removed my resistors from the rca inputs to bring my BHC+Speedball back to stock my hum was still present, I messed about turning on and off equipment methodically disconnecting listening etc no joy.

Today I moved the Crack downstairs and had it connected up to the turntable (sounds sublime) but still had hum at way above listening levels. Later I moved the crack back upstairs connected up and the hum has changed. It was intermittent something had changed at first I thought it might be tube related but after changing a few it was not. The hum seemed more microphonic related as it started when the volume was turned up past half way but if you let go of the volume knob after a few seconds the hum decreased.

Here's the thing my Crack+Speedball is dead silent now at all levels.

The fix,

I twisted my rca input cables together that run from the dac to the Crack and made sure they where routed directly away from the transformer.

It was that simple!  I just happened to noticed when I reconnected I had a twist in the cable and as reached across to turn volume knob my elbow sometimes would move the cables. I wondered about how the internal input wiring is braided to help cancel out interference. So twisted up the connecting rca cables and no noise.

Hope this helps you as well

I will def try that with a set of RCA cables, but I was getting the noise and/or hum with no RCA cables plugged in. Cant remember now if we tried it them plugged in but I will do a bit more experimenting when I get a chance. Thanks for the update!

Jan 2, 2014 at 4:52 PM Post #3,440 of 12,347
  You have to realize its 275 + 125 + shipping + solder and tools to build it + a couple of days to build it+ putting the base together and finishing it +sanding and finishing  the aluminum plate. I wouldn't sell mine for 550, thats for sure. I would think closer to 700. Suck it up and build it yourself. VERY EASY!!

You would think that thats what they would go for, but there have been a few people on HeadFi selling them as well as quite a few on eBay that I have seen listed and they never seem to actually sell for anymore than $450 assembled and with the Speedball from what I have seen.

Jan 2, 2014 at 5:20 PM Post #3,442 of 12,347

OK I have some new info on this which may or may not be of help in your case but it worked for me.

I removed my resistors from the rca inputs to bring my BHC+Speedball back to stock my hum was still present, I messed about turning on and off equipment methodically disconnecting listening etc no joy.

Today I moved the Crack downstairs and had it connected up to the turntable (sounds sublime) but still had hum at way above listening levels. Later I moved the crack back upstairs connected up and the hum has changed. It was intermittent something had changed at first I thought it might be tube related but after changing a few it was not. The hum seemed more microphonic related as it started when the volume was turned up past half way but if you let go of the volume knob after a few seconds the hum decreased.

Here's the thing my Crack+Speedball is dead silent now at all levels.

The fix,

I twisted my rca input cables together that run from the dac to the Crack and made sure they where routed directly away from the transformer.

It was that simple!  I just happened to noticed when I reconnected I had a twist in the cable and as reached across to turn volume knob my elbow sometimes would move the cables. I wondered about how the internal input wiring is braided to help cancel out interference. So twisted up the connecting rca cables and no noise.

Hope this helps you as well

FWIW our interconnect cabling was chosen specifically for its resistance to interference from transformers. And re the Bendix/Tung-Sol graphite plates, I've had a bunch of them for years. They are pretty good but I wouldn't say they are something to lust after. 

Jan 2, 2014 at 5:29 PM Post #3,443 of 12,347
Bottlehead promote hifibuilderguy on their website who will assemble a kit for you. For a fully built BHC+SB assembled with cleared base painted top and blued transformer housing you will need to spend around $800 plus delivery.

https://www.facebook.com/hifibuilderguy

If outside the US then add higher shipping, customs import duties, value added tax  and then handling fees from your own parcel post service.

$5-600 used sounds fair for a good standardly built one. If its an especially good build, custom case, upgraded pots, film capacitors, upgraded tubes. Factor in a much, much more. I expect from reading the forums there are more than a few customised BHC's that are nudging in on $1000 or more for parts alone.

Jan 2, 2014 at 5:47 PM Post #3,444 of 12,347
Can someone please explain to me how each tube section effects the sound of the amp? I am somewhat confused on this matter.

thanks...

Jan 2, 2014 at 6:02 PM Post #3,446 of 12,347
  FWIW our interconnect cabling was chosen specifically for its resistance to interference from transformers. And re the Bendix/Tung-Sol graphite plates, I've had a bunch of them for years. They are pretty good but I wouldn't say they are something to lust after.

Thanks Doc, the Bendix/Tung-Sol slotted graphite plates were simply listed as 6080s you needed sharp eyes to note they were the more sought after Bendix slotted plate type. So an opportunity was present to grab a bargain or not as it turned out. Still that's all just part of the fun of the chase.

Jan 2, 2014 at 6:35 PM Post #3,447 of 12,347
  Bottlehead promote hifibuilderguy on their website who will assemble a kit for you. For a fully built BHC+SB assembled with cleared base painted top and blued transformer housing you will need to spend around $800 plus delivery.

https://www.facebook.com/hifibuilderguy

If outside the US then add higher shipping, customs import duties, value added tax  and then handling fees from your own parcel post service.

$5-600 used sounds fair for a good standardly built one. If its an especially good build, custom case, upgraded pots, film capacitors, upgraded tubes. Factor in a much, much more. I expect from reading the forums there are more than a few customised BHC's that are nudging in on $1000 or more for parts alone.

Firstly, I am a hardcore DIY guy thus I think everyone should really build their own amp. If I didn't think so we wouldn't be selling kits. One thing to bear in mind when determing a fair price for a used amp is that there's somewhat of a Catch 22 in buying used. Buying a used amp because you feel you are not technically competent to build one can mean buying someone else's first build. That doesn't seem like a very good way to guarantee never having to go under the hood, and it can take more effort to fix someone else's mistakes than your own. I would at the very least ask the seller what kind of guarantee they offer that the amp works 100%. Shawn (hifibuilderguy) has built more Crack amps than anyone on the planet. And his stuff is guaranteed. So yes, it costs more for sure, but on the other hand you are buying something that you know will work for the long run. 

Also remember that if you decide to build it yourself you can go on the forum and we'll help you if you have any issues. If you buy something used and it doesn't work and you don't want to have to fix it yourself via the forum, you're looking at paying another $125 to us on top of what you spent on it to have us fix it for you.

Jan 2, 2014 at 6:47 PM Post #3,448 of 12,347
  Firstly, I am a hardcore DIY guy thus I think everyone should really build their own amp. If I didn't think so we wouldn't be selling kits. One thing to bear in mind when determing a fair price for a used amp is that there's somewhat of a Catch 22 in buying used. Buying a used amp because you feel you are not technically competent to build one can mean buying someone else's first build. That doesn't seem like a very good way to guarantee never having to go under the hood, and it can take more effort to fix someone else's mistakes than your own. I would at the very least ask the seller what kind of guarantee they offer that the amp works 100%. Shawn (hifibuilderguy) has built more Crack amps than anyone on the planet. And his stuff is guaranteed. So yes, it costs more for sure, but on the other hand you are buying something that you know will work for the long run. 

Also remember that if you decide to build it yourself you can go on the forum and we'll help you if you have any issues. If you buy something used and it doesn't work and you don't want to have to fix it yourself via the forum, you're looking at paying another $125 to us on top of what you spent on it to have us fix it for you.

I'm sorry but I have to say that this line of thinking doesn't hold much water with me...all due respect given. On one hand you suggest that anybody could build the kit or you wouldn't be selling them. In the same breath you say that you wouldn't want to buy someone's mistakes. 

Please appreciate some of us don't have the expertise and or time to build the amp. I don't see that many first timers would be offering to build someone a crack on their first build regardless. Additionally anyone asking to have a kit build from someone with no experience should realize the risk with even the smallest dose of common sense. 

Jan 2, 2014 at 7:41 PM Post #3,450 of 12,347
Well on the one hand you say you don't think you have the skills to build a kit, but you're willing to buy from some other guy who may or may not have the skills. But this kind of argument doesn't really get you closer to a decision I suspect. What I said was I think everyone should build their own kit. That is a determination I have made. I did not say that everyone feels capable of doing it. That's something you have to determine for yourself. After all the years we have been helping first timers I do know that anyone who wants to build one of our kits has the expertise necessary build one of our kits, with maybe the few exceptions being people who are terminally hard headed and won't follow instructions.

If you build a kit and maybe even screw it up and sort out your own mistakes, you have an accomplishment to be proud of and you will live with the imperfections. My points about the caveats of someone else building were with reference to buying used, not hiring someone to build it for you. There are kits that are built very well on ebay and also kits that get built and the guy is never motivated enough to ask for help when he has problems with his build. I can say from experience that those amps do end up on ebay from time to time too, and they often come to us for repair after the sale though sold as fully functional. 

Hiring somone to build your gear for you is fine. I think you will miss a major part of the fun of owning the gear, but that is simply my opinion. And we will be there if the build you commission doesn't work out to your expectations. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back