Cosmic Ears - new CIEM company with great prices (including Hybrid designs!)
Apr 16, 2015 at 12:34 PM Post #4,696 of 5,310
I like the idea of isolation. Wondering if Max is tighter than other brands, or the norm with comfort being less. Is Max really tight? If it's too tight, can that be resovled in a refit? From your description of comfort, it sounds like it wouldn't drown out the sound of my kids playing, or the drone of a plane? But Max would? Cheers again.

I'd get my max fit CE6P (hopefully) in 2 days. Then i would be able to comment on it :)

Apr 17, 2015 at 7:42 AM Post #4,697 of 5,310
  You need to get an opinion from someone that owns the E/B versions about the bass, but I very much doubt it will be overpowering the mids. The CE signature seems to be quite detailed but not clinical, very coherent and musical while being very transparent.

For example the CE6P as it stands has for me a fair bit of bass through most anything I have tried it with. However when plugged to an iPhone 6 it loses a bit of the lower end impact and becomes quite detail oriented with airier sound, plugged in to an iBasso DX90 (absolutely love the combo if only the iBasso could run Tidal....) the lower end is heavier, it gains musicality and sweetness, it becomes even more coherent conveyes the same amount of detail but loses a bit on the soundstage. Whatever I use though the bass never affected the rest of the frequencies.

Thanks. I will be using them with an iPhone 6 primarily. Hopefully they still sound good? Would you go CE6P or CE6E with the iPhone only?

Can you do me a favor and try Nightrain by Guns N Roses from Appetite through them please? This is a track that isn't particularly bass heavy, but has a very clear bass track from Duff that sounds quite crisp and spanky rather than bloated and round. It sounds good with Grados, pretty good with the W4r, terrible with Momentums. Would love your impressions on that. Also, Come Away with Me, Norah Jones is another track I enjoy listening to - it's got plenty of sparkle, a nice bass track, and lovely vocals - I find that it can be a bit spikey with the Grados or the Shure 1540.

Thanks!

Apr 17, 2015 at 12:29 PM Post #4,698 of 5,310
Another quick question or two:

- Is the Ice Blue colour a free colour or an up charge. It's shown on the options page, but not the drop down for ordering. I'm torn between this with silver decals, or the classy purple with gold. Or the mad blue for left, red for right. :D

- Is the T2 connector worth the massive price? You can get the linum bax cable with two pin recessed as a £40 upcharge, but linum bax with T2 is £90. I want the linum for the light weight.

I'm hoping to set up an appt with Spec Savers Hearing centre for impressions, as they seem to be half the price of the local audiologist, Darroch Hearing.

Apr 17, 2015 at 12:56 PM Post #4,699 of 5,310
Thanks. I will be using them with an iPhone 6 primarily. Hopefully they still sound good? Would you go CE6P or CE6E with the iPhone only?

Can you do me a favor and try Nightrain by Guns N Roses from Appetite through them please? This is a track that isn't particularly bass heavy, but has a very clear bass track from Duff that sounds quite crisp and spanky rather than bloated and round. It sounds good with Grados, pretty good with the W4r, terrible with Momentums. Would love your impressions on that. Also, Come Away with Me, Norah Jones is another track I enjoy listening to - it's got plenty of sparkle, a nice bass track, and lovely vocals - I find that it can be a bit spikey with the Grados or the Shure 1540.

Thanks!

I'll try to go to the Apple Store or JL tom morning on my way to town. They both have the momentus so I will at least have a bit of reference. The songs will be from spotify so keep that in mind as well.

Also I really wouldn't want to comment too much on the E as I have not heard it, all I go by is Phil's comments and reviews. The E adds extra bass to the P with most everything else remaining the same. For my taste the DX90 adds a bit of weight to the P's bass which I prefer to the slightly more understated bass from the iPhone. The bass is there but the iBasso adds that extra bit and to me it does make a difference.

Apr 17, 2015 at 1:10 PM Post #4,700 of 5,310
Don't worry about comparing with the Momentums. I hated those anyway. Just curious to see how you'd describe the sound of the P listening to those tracks. Thanks. Spotify is fine.

Apr 17, 2015 at 1:14 PM Post #4,701 of 5,310
Anyone here in the Glasgow area? Recommend an audiologist? Are Specsavers ok?

Apr 17, 2015 at 1:26 PM Post #4,702 of 5,310
I Would give spec savers a miss as my impressions from them did not pass the cosmic ears quality assurance. I had to get them redone and went to The Hearing Clinic in Bath street, they were a bit more expensive but brilliant service.
Hope this helps.

Apr 17, 2015 at 1:43 PM Post #4,703 of 5,310
Thanks Greame. How much were they?

Apr 17, 2015 at 2:54 PM Post #4,704 of 5,310
  Another quick question or two:

- Is the Ice Blue colour a free colour or an up charge. It's shown on the options page, but not the drop down for ordering. I'm torn between this with silver decals, or the classy purple with gold. Or the mad blue for left, red for right. :D

- Is the T2 connector worth the massive price? You can get the linum bax cable with two pin recessed as a £40 upcharge, but linum bax with T2 is £90. I want the linum for the light weight.

I'm hoping to set up an appt with Spec Savers Hearing centre for impressions, as they seem to be half the price of the local audiologist, Darroch Hearing.

Red and blue are very red and very blue! Just saying :)

If you value comfort go for the linum, it is worth the money if only because it is very very very comfortable but keep in mind it tangles like there is no tomorrow.

However the T2 connector has one main downside apart from the price (I did not pay that price for mine I am pretty sure mine was included in the earphones price) there is no other cable you can interchange it with. I have not found another cable that uses the T2 plug so if you later want to buy a different cable or your cable develops a fault you do not have alternatives until it gets fixed. So if I had to pay for it - and given the fact that I do not really know its benefits over the 2-pin one - I'd give it a miss.

Apr 17, 2015 at 2:58 PM Post #4,705 of 5,310
They are indeed very red and blue. I think I'm going purple. :)

Thanks for the advice on the T2! Do you have the standard 3 ply cable? How does that compare?

Apr 17, 2015 at 3:56 PM Post #4,707 of 5,310
Thanks. Reasonable!

Apr 18, 2015 at 4:43 PM Post #4,708 of 5,310
So I just ordered my first ever set of CIEMs in the shape of the absolutely fantastic CE6Ps.
I placed this order following a visit to the Cosmic Ears facility where I spent some time demoing a set of CE6Ps with universal buds, and a long interesting chat with Phil.
I don't qualify myself as an audiophile, just a person who knows when he likes what he hears it. Whilst I've always enjoyed quality hifi at home, these CIEMs combined with a Cowon P1 represent my first foray into high quality portable audio. Currently going through the immense pleasure of re-ripping my entire CD collection to FLAC...
Anyway in support of a great British manufacturing company I will be giving an in-depth review of the CE6Ps as soon as I receive them (which shouldn't be too long, seeing as an impatient person like me decided to take advantage of the rush order option).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back