Cosmic Ears - new CIEM company with great prices (including Hybrid designs!)
Sep 6, 2013 at 12:21 PM Post #2,807 of 5,310
The left side seems to seal better now, but my right ear still doesn't seal properly. I've tried moving it around a bit but the seal is still incomplete unless I keep pushing it in. I'll give it a few days for my ears to adjust, and if it still doesn't seal I might try thickening the canals with a bit of nail polish or something.

I've actually tried doing that and it works great but I'm not sure if it's the kind of nail polish I used or maybe too many layers, when I've had it in my ears for a while it felt like the nail polish was melting and when I took my monitors out the nail polish looked mushy. Maybe you can let me know what type of clear nail polish you used when you try it or maybe you can try out the comply soft wraps (the one JH sells), I have a pack of those too but it didn't really do much for me and is pretty expensive.

Sep 6, 2013 at 12:35 PM Post #2,808 of 5,310
I've actually tried doing that and it works great but I'm not sure if it's the kind of nail polish I used or maybe too many layers, when I've had it in my ears for a while it felt like the nail polish was melting and when I took my monitors out the nail polish looked mushy. Maybe you can let me know what type of clear nail polish you used when you try it or maybe you can try out the comply soft wraps (the one JH sells), I have a pack of those too but it didn't really do much for me and is pretty expensive.

That sounds gross - I didn't know nail polish could melt. But then, what do I know about nail polish :D
Those soft wrap things are indeed expensive. I wonder if there are any other alternatives. Like a DIY silicone coating.

Sep 6, 2013 at 1:36 PM Post #2,809 of 5,310

That sounds gross - I didn't know nail polish could melt. But then, what do I know about nail polish
biggrin.gif

Eh, neither do I. Maybe it was the kind I used or I didn't give it enough time to dry in between each coat? I thought one hour for each coat was sufficient, guess not.

average_joe said that he used this one but I just used some random few dollar one from Target.
http://www.amazon.com/Polish-Speed-Dry-Topcoat-Clear/dp/B003ZMP70S/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1378488742&sr=8-2&keywords=priti+clear+nail+polish

Sep 7, 2013 at 12:16 AM Post #2,814 of 5,310
  Pictures! They came in not one, not two, but three envelopes, one inside another.

That looks great! I would have gotten smoke too if I didn't already have one that color. I hope that's the cable I get too, it looks great. I hate the westone-like cable where it has that round piece that splits the cable.

Sep 8, 2013 at 9:42 AM Post #2,815 of 5,310
Man, is everyone have issues with getting Cosmic Ears to take my money!?  I am sold, I want them... I just have a few questions so I know what I want to order before I send out my molds.
Maybe some of you guys can help with my questions:

Does someone have pic of the Steamjunk and Steampunk?  I dont know which is which.
Does anyone know if they are doing reshelling yet?
Is the BA4 for sale yet?
If I want pre-fit service... but want all sorts of customized colors, faceplate design, etc, can I still just order the pre-fit service to make sure they fit well, or must I order the whole thing with the pre-fit service?
Do I need to customize the left and right monitors to tell them apart, or is there something that designates the left/right by default on the cable, or on the actual monitor?

Sep 8, 2013 at 10:13 AM Post #2,816 of 5,310
  Man, is everyone have issues with getting Cosmic Ears to take my money!?  I am sold, I want them... I just have a few questions so I know what I want to order before I send out my molds.
Maybe some of you guys can help with my questions:

Does someone have pic of the Steamjunk and Steampunk?  I dont know which is which.
Does anyone know if they are doing reshelling yet?
Is the BA4 for sale yet?
If I want pre-fit service... but want all sorts of customized colors, faceplate design, etc, can I still just order the pre-fit service to make sure they fit well, or must I order the whole thing with the pre-fit service?
Do I need to customize the left and right monitors to tell them apart, or is there something that designates the left/right by default on the cable, or on the actual monitor?

Sorry, can't answer everything, but:

I'm pretty sure Phil will re-shell UE TF10's ( I believe it's 100 GBP for this service, plus whatever other cosmetic options you want )

The BA4 is currently for sale :)

Once you've had then for a short while it's easy to tell the left/right apart without them being labelled.
I prefer the asymmetric colour schemes anyway so usually go for different colours on each.

I think it's best to contact Cosmic directly through either the website, of their facebook page to get a definitive answer regarding the combination of pre-fit with lots of colour options, but I'd guess that Phil would make shells to your colour pref's, then send them to you to check fit, then complete the build with your chosen faceplates once you're happy with the fit.
Bear in mind that even a perfectly fitting shell might feel imperfect at first to someone who's a novice at inserting/adjusting them ( not that it takes long to get your head around )

Sep 8, 2013 at 10:30 AM Post #2,817 of 5,310
Thanks for the info!  Ive submitted my questions on their website last week and some questions on the facebook page last night... but haven't received replies from them yet.  I guess this is a small operation... I hope they do well and can hire full time customer service reps for pre-sales online at some point... I guess now a days, I'm so used to less than 24 hour responses from the companies I interact with online.

Thanks again for the info.

Sep 8, 2013 at 12:19 PM Post #2,818 of 5,310

You can add the pre-fit service when you're ordering the BA4, there's an option towards the end asking if you want the pre-fit service. Regarding colors, there's an option for custom color and you just add in the notes what you'd like. Hope that answers your question.

Sep 8, 2013 at 7:58 PM Post #2,819 of 5,310
That's not the new style cable, it's a two-wire braid all the way, whereas the new cable will have a four-wire braid below the Y-split. I think Phil mentioned that he will offer the new cable for free to those who bought a CIEM with the older cable. I have no issues with this cable, but I'm looking forward to the clear cable when it comes out, which I think will aesthetically match up to the smoke shells better :)

Fit-wise, the left side now seals great, but the right side is still slightly loose. Which is a bit odd, considering that with universal IEMs I had more fit problems with my left ear.

Sep 8, 2013 at 8:32 PM Post #2,820 of 5,310

The nail polish you want to use isnt really nail polish. It is called "top coat", It is basically clear nail polish/gel but it is applied on top of already colored nails to protect nail polish from chipping. You can get it anywhere really. I use it on my JH16s and it works great. To fully dry, i let it sit overnight. Depending on thickness of coat, It wont be 100% clear after it dries (its mostly clear with a little white when it dried) but it is very hard and should feel like the acrylic the earpiece is made of.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back