*Confirmed* Grado PS1000 is coming!
Mar 2, 2009 at 11:36 PM Post #781 of 941
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zanth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Folks, if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all. Kindergarten 101 (or is that A?) Anyhow, Bilavideo has written some fine posts, rather than targeting him, if there is information that doesn't seem to jive with posts made over time on the forum, point them out but do so civilly. I don't want to have to start deleting posts.

That's why I asked about "subtle's" age.
tongue.gif

Mar 3, 2009 at 1:26 AM Post #782 of 941
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bilavideo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Grados have allowed me to rediscover the music I grew up with. I enjoy the easter eggs, including the painting beneath the painting. Until I started wearing Grados, there were instruments and tracks, coughs and conversations going on underneath the general outline of a piece whose existence I'd never contemplated.

I noticed this Grado "detail" thing with my first SR60 back in '94. Former Absolute Sound reviewer Dan Schwartz accurately described Grado HP-1 headphones chief strength as it's midrange, the ability to "'hear into' the range in which they operate". I hear this quality in pretty much any pre-1999 Grado phone.

But far too many people would opt to throw away all these details in favour of throwing everything into the distance in order to have a phoney "huge soundstage" that really does not exist in the recording. I have been guilty of this myself.

This thread has become really interesting and informative, sort of like Head-Fi circa 2002.

Mar 3, 2009 at 3:49 AM Post #783 of 941
Quote:

Originally Posted by Beagle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This thread has become really interesting and informative, sort of like Head-Fi circa 2002.

Sshhh don't jinx it!
wink.gif

Mar 3, 2009 at 5:02 AM Post #784 of 941
Quote:

Originally Posted by Beagle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But far too many people would opt to throw away all these details in favour of throwing everything into the distance in order to have a phoney "huge soundstage" that really does not exist in the recording. I have been guilty of this myself.

This is very true and what many people experince when first using GS1000's which is that the sucked out mid range creates the illusion of space. And when I first got the GS1000's like everybody I thought they were horrible due to their tonal balance.

That however changed after being able to breaking in the pads down (essentially changing the distance of the drivers to the ear). Honestly now they have roughly the same physical presentation of sound (placement/size/fullness) of the Stax Omega IIs I owned. This of course is contrary to a lot of people's experience with the GS1000's and I totally understand where they are coming from. To me, these were now just O2's with more of a Grado sound (and different tonal balance of course).

After upgrading my system and going to the SDS amp, I was able to push the GS1000's way farther than I was able to take the KGSS/O2 system. The only thing the O2s did better was have more lower end detail. But it missed so many things that the GS1000's could do especially in regards to dynamics and control. They in a way out "electrostated" the O2s in the level of speed and control. The stats sounded sloppy and loose in comparison.

Now that is my experience, and I fully realize that this is not the norm for a GS1000 experience. For me, they sound like no other headphone even compared to other top tier headphones. But don't believe for a second that I think the sound of GS1000's that most experience is what I think is "good". Far from it, I just happen to stick with them longer and saw (heard) the long term potential.

The HD800 and PS1000 give me hope that there are cans that can take me even further.

Mar 3, 2009 at 5:12 AM Post #785 of 941
AC1, congrats on your experience. Like many headphones at the top of the heap, it takes some work to get it right. Some have the gear straight away to get it going on while others need to mix and match a lot. The SDS seems to be a winner all around in making headphones sing their best. I know many love it with their R10's which are often in need of taming up top and some extra oomph in the shorts. It will be very interesting to hear the HD800s and PS1000s along side an Omega II and get to hear listen for raw detail.

Mar 3, 2009 at 6:09 AM Post #786 of 941
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kees /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Weird post. Almost all your facts are wrong.

I don't think so, but you're welcome to make the case if you ever feel like doing more than being dismissive.

Quote:

Word on the street runs the other way? It is to be expected that fans of the traditional Grado sound would be disappointed by the GS1000: they deviate from that. It tells me nothing of the qualities of the GS1000, only of the expectations of the Grado fans.

Of course it doesn't, but why don't you see the irrelevance of this "correction." I wasn't talking about "the qualities of the GS1000." I was talking about the disconnect between all those stellar reviews and a rising tide of dissatisfaction from a fair number of Grado fans who, despite all the hype, came to think that Grado had made a strategic misstep. Now, you can tell me how bogus all that is, how these people are all idiots, but they aren't the ones who decided to replace the GS-1000 with a GS-1000i and a PS-1000. Say what you will, but companies don't generally replace and discontinue flagship models that work. They replace and discontinue the ones that sort of blow up in their faces. The product may be fine and dandy, but if the company's base is telling it that this dog won't hunt, changes get made.

And here, changes have definitely been made.

Quote:

Grado has been making aluminium phones for a long time.

Well, duh. I never said that Grado hadn't made aluminum phones before. It started with aluminum, back when Joseph Grado was running the company. It continued with aluminum on the SR-325. But at some point, John Grado started pushing mahogany cans, and the placement of those mahogany cans at the very top of the product line was hardly an endorsement of aluminum. When you've got Grado selling its aluminum 325 for $300 while it sells the woodies for $500, $700 and $1,000 - it sends a message.

Quote:

I like the GS1000 better than the PS-1.

I do not. And while you're entitled to enjoy your GS-1000, mine has not quite lived up to the hype. It has its virtues, which include that wider soundstage, but for my money, Grado went too far with it and the problem wasn't even in the cans. It was in those oversized salad bowls, which push the ear too far from the driver. I prefer to use my GS-1000s to listen to classical, jazz and acoustic. But anything with crashing cimbals tends to make me cringe. If the old-style Grados were somewhat muffled (because of the ear's proximity to the driver), the GS-1000 seems to have made an over-correction. For a good while after I got mine, I replaced the salad bowls with doughnuts and found the sound better, but going back and forth between the salad bowls and the doughnuts, it's obvious that we're dealing in positions that are still too far apart from one another. Grado needs a cushion that bridges the gap between the salad bowls and the doughnuts, one that would open up the soundstage a bit without overdoing it.

[quote Who are you to find fault? [/quote]

Who do I have to be? Are you starting a Vatican of sound? Are you licensing opinions now? Your attitude of superiority is ridiculous. I never said I'd heard the PS-1000 and that I thought it was a terrible can. From the outset, I made it clear that I am skeptical about this new release, and will remain so until I hear from people who aren't sitting in privileged positions, with the kinds of relationships that might color their rave reviews. I don't think that's an unreasonable postion to take.

Quote:

I don't know, but I guess (and you'll agree with that) as long as you haven't heard them you are in this respect nobody.

Somebody is getting awfully personal over a headphone discussion where the vast majority of us have yet to hear this product. I guess we're all nobodies. But somehow, I suspect we'll be okay. If I have to buy a $1700 headphone with mahogany shorts and an aluminum tanktop, maybe it's better not to be "BE somebody." I'll let you have that action to your heart's content.

Mar 3, 2009 at 6:19 AM Post #787 of 941
Quote:

Originally Posted by vvanrij /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Euhm, isn't Bilavideo's post (no offense) abit overrated due to his fancy use of the english language? I mean instead of bashing 'subtle' for questioning the new prodigy, try to actually read what he is saying/asking. And just like Kees already said, almost all his 'facts' are wrong, and he probably (correct me if I'm wrong Bilavideo), hasn't heard the PS1?

You guys keep saying this stuff. One makes the assumption. The other says, "Ooh, that's right." And now I've got you telling me which headphones I've never listened to. The only headphones I've said I haven't listened to were the PS-1000s, which I stated in my first post. Is this supposed to be some kind of scandal? Am I supposed to run away in shame? Most of us have not heard these cans yet. That's what we're here, at the great watercooler in cyberspace. My original post was one of skepticism, and I think I've been clear as to why.

You and your little friends keep chiming in about how most of my facts are wrong, but that's not an argument. That's just repetition. If you want to argue that my facts are wrong, pick one. Don't just sit there in la-la land, parroting the same chickenheaded babble about how most of my facts are wrong. I can't believe the kind of witch hunt that gets started because somebody has a different opinion. If you want to exchange ideas about something, knock yourself out. I never said I was Moses coming down from the mount with tablets in hand. But if you and your little friends want to run me off for blaspheming the golden Grado, get a life.

Mar 3, 2009 at 6:28 AM Post #788 of 941
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zanth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey Bilavideo, welcome to Head-fi! Great posts btw. You remind me of scrypt in your writing style. That is a big compliment if you don't know scrypt.

Interesting tweaks and mods you have done. I wonder if I can get away with mangling my wife's SR60's so I can try the open-air sound. Would be really cool to test against other Grados as well as some electrostats. I can imagine the decrease in bass, nothing to trap the sound waves for a time, but one also gets really fast tight bass, similar to what the HP-1000's are known for. They don't have elongated cups, reducing resonance first by using metal and secondly by decreasing overall time for the waves to interact with any material. Some like this bass, others not so much.

Wooden Grados are too delicate to work with and metal ones, too pricey, but some SR60's or SR80's would be interesting to test out with, not to mention the iGrados.

How difficult was it opening up the iGrados?

Thanks for the kind word. Opening up the plastic Grados is not difficult, though the iGrado was a little tricky. The SR-60s are held together by glue. You can easily remove the pads and pull the cups off of the headband. A common process is to use steam to moisten the glue bindings. If you pour hot, steaming, water into a cookie sheet, you can place the cups face up, so the drivers are on the dry side. You don't want the water too hot; otherwise, it will warp the plastic. But you do want it hot enough that the steam rises and makes it easy to work the cups loose. They pry apart. Just be patient and avoid using anything so sharp it will dent or deface the plastic. The ones I experimented with were used, and I was solely interested in sound, so I was prepared to suffer some minor scratches, etc. There are videos on Youtube and a site with "Grado mods" where somebody used a spoon to work the plastic loose.

With respect to a decrease in bass, I was expecting the same thing, but it didn't happen - at least not as far as I could tell. If anything, I was surprised at the detail in the bass (if that makes any sense). You might notice a difference if you removed the air chambers from the woodies but as far as I can tell, these plastic shells did nothing for the bass. All they did was muddy up the treble.

As far as I can tell, the real quality of the bass is a combination of the driver and the cushions. With a good seal, the cushions act as a baffle, perhaps the only baffle really preventing front and rear-wave cancellation. Right now, my bass is dependent on the recording and headphone placement on the ears. I prefer the on-ear approach, despite any reported ear fatigue, because I can feel the bass on my lobes and it's a nice effect.

One reason I was expecting some kind of drop-off in bass was the experience reported by users of the ill-fated AKG 1000. Wasn't that going to be the pair of cans to die for, with those huge drivers, set up just so they could hover right alongside the ear? But with no cushions to act as baffles, people said they were bass-lite. That's basically the problem with the earbuds. No seal, no deal. But as long as the cushions provide a good seal, you've got bass, pounding bass if you want it. I've got tracks where the bass is not great, but on any track where bass is prominent, I can't believe how pounding these cans get.

But it's not just stereotypical bass. Right now, I'm listening to The Move's My Marge. I've got a sax in my right ear and what sounds like a basoon in the left - and they're both tickling my lobes. It's a far cry from Journey, whose recordings just don't stack up, in clarity, against even Al Yankovic singing, "I Love Rocky Road." Why do Yankovic's armpit squeezes sound so much clearer than Journey's cave-like recordings? Was it the stadium-rock aesthetic?

The one strategy the GS-1000, with its salad bowls, seems to have been reaching for was the attempt to create a seal without muting the high-end. One of the issues with on-ear headphones is that the "seal" approach operates at cross purposes with the desire to "open up" the sound. By using the head around the ears as the foundation for the seal, Grado was clearly hoping to get his bass and keep the treble "open." But how much "concert hall" is enough? I always thought I had pretty big ears, that is until I bought the GS-1000s. It's possible that the attempt to create a one-size-fits-all solution pushed these cushions past their smartest calibration point.

Here's another issue, one that on-ear headphones can partially address where circumaural cans won't. There's a certain disconnect between the aesthetics of cushion design and the actual shape of the ears. We're used to expecting headphone cushions to be round and fit flat against our heads. But ears don't look like that. They don't "couple" so well that way. If you reach back and feel around the seal behind your ears, you'll notice that gaps exist back and beneath. Such gaps leak bass. Unfortunately, the attempt to create cushions that are attractive to the public has taken precedence over their efficiency - even at Grado Labs.

Grado's rivals have come up with their own idea of a sensible variation on the theme, but none of it is all that impressive. If Grado has produced round cups and cushions, others have come up with elongated, sometimes squarish, monstrosities. It's still about selling a design that looks good to customers, many of whom don't taste the food they shovel into their mouths. What's needed is a cushion that allows the cups to be worn at an angle. Instead of aiming straight in from the sides of the head, the cups should angled to match the ears' orientation, which is not necessarily parallel to the head. Some people have Prince Charles ears that stick out like Dumbo's. Some people have ears that run straight back. Many, I suspect, have ears at a crossroad between forward orientation and biology's version of aerodynamics.

It seems to me that a great solution would be tapered cushions. Their shape should present less cushion in front and more cushion in the back. This would probably make Grado fans look even less fashionable than they already do, but it would better serve the goal of promoting bass while keeping the soundstage open. I tried to do this manually by depressing the cushions in the front, sliding them down, but I had to be careful not to break the seal; otherwise, I'd get the "open" high end but lose some bass.

Mar 3, 2009 at 6:30 AM Post #789 of 941
This is interesting discourse. I must say I rather enjoy reading it, for a change.

Mar 3, 2009 at 6:42 AM Post #790 of 941
Quote:

start to finish...

Hear, hear.

Mar 3, 2009 at 7:14 AM Post #792 of 941
Quote:

I don't think so, but you're welcome to make the case if you ever feel like doing more than being dismissive.

It really doesn't matter what you think. Facts, by definition, can't be argued or denied. You talk all big I figured you would be smart enough to know that without having to be told. Please feel free to try again though. I know I don't speak for myself when I say it's quite amusing.

Quote:

Well, duh. I never said that Grado hadn't made aluminum phones before. It started with aluminum, back when Joseph Grado was running the company. It continued with aluminum on the SR-325. But at some point, John Grado started pushing mahogany cans, and the placement of those mahogany cans at the very top of the product line was hardly an endorsement of aluminum. When you've got Grado selling its aluminum 325 for $300 while it sells the woodies for $500, $700 and $1,000 - it sends a message.

If you knew as much as you think you do, then you would know already that John and his uncle have vastly different interpretations on their preferences for sound. Then again, perhaps you just dismissed the information found in Zanth's interview since he's apparently one of "the people sitting in privileged positions."

Quote:

I do not. And while you're entitled to enjoy your GS-1000, mine has not quite lived up to the hype. It has its virtues, which include that wider soundstage, but for my money, Grado went too far with it and the problem wasn't even in the cans. It was in those oversized salad bowls, which push the ear too far from the driver. I prefer to use my GS-1000s to listen to classical, jazz and acoustic. But anything with crashing cimbals tends to make me cringe. If the old-style Grados were somewhat muffled (because of the ear's proximity to the driver), the GS-1000 seems to have made an over-correction. For a good while after I got mine, I replaced the salad bowls with doughnuts and found the sound better, but going back and forth between the salad bowls and the doughnuts, it's obvious that we're dealing in positions that are still too far apart from one another. Grado needs a cushion that bridges the gap between the salad bowls and the doughnuts, one that would open up the soundstage a bit without overdoing it.

You don't prefer the GS1000 to the PS-1 when you've never even heard the latter? I think that speaks for itself.

Quote:

Who do I have to be? Are you starting a Vatican of sound? Are you licensing opinions now? Your attitude of superiority is ridiculous. I never said I'd heard the PS-1000 and that I thought it was a terrible can. From the outset, I made it clear that I am skeptical about this new release, and will remain so until I hear from people who aren't sitting in privileged positions, with the kinds of relationships that might color their rave reviews. I don't think that's an unreasonable postion to take.

No one really but your arrogant, pot calling the kettle, pretending to be more intelligent than you really are in order to try and impress those that care self. You would know your position is unreasonable if you read more and preached less.

Like I said earlier though, it really is a good look for you.

Quote:

Somebody is getting awfully personal over a headphone discussion where the vast majority of us have yet to hear this product. I guess we're all nobodies. But somehow, I suspect we'll be okay. If I have to buy a $1700 headphone with mahogany shorts and an aluminum tanktop, maybe it's better not to be "BE somebody." I'll let you have that action to your heart's content.

Look in the mirror boy wonder, and take a picture of yourself in the tank top while you're at it.

Mar 3, 2009 at 7:17 AM Post #793 of 941
Quote:

If you want to argue that my facts are wrong, pick one.

I'm your Huckleberry. Point out just one fact in your diatribe back yonder and I'll gladly pick it apart.

Quote:

get a life.

Please take your own advice...Moses.

Mar 3, 2009 at 7:20 AM Post #794 of 941
Quote:

Originally Posted by subtle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It really doesn't matter what you think. Facts, by definition, can't be argued or denied. You talk all big I figured you would be smart enough to know that without having to be told. Please feel free to try again though. I know I don't speak for myself when I say it's quite amusing.

If you knew as much as you think you do, then you would know already that John and his uncle have vastly different interpretations on their preferences for sound. Then again, perhaps you just dismissed the information found in Zanth's interview since he's apparently one of "the people sitting in privileged positions."

You don't prefer the GS1000 to the PS-1 when you've never even heard the latter? I think that speaks for itself.

No one really but your arrogant, pot calling the kettle, pretending to be more intelligent than you really are in order to try and impress those that care self. You would know your position is unreasonable if you read more and preached less.

Like I said earlier though, it really is a good look for you.

Look in the mirror boy wonder, and take a picture of yourself in the tank top while you're at it.

Wow, cool. I think it's about time to play count the fallacies. Here's your cheat sheet.
popcorn.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back