Concise Multi-IEM Comparison (FINAL UPDATE March. 1st, 2013)
Jun 23, 2012 at 11:29 AM Post #708 of 1,242
Quote:
Clieos, how would you define the term "sweetness"?

Forwardness, texture, detail, and intimacy in vocal. Essentially, it is how close the singer is to the listener in the virtual space and how well that voice converts emotion - or if you like, how well it makes you feel like you are there. If a headphone can make you feel like you are right next to the singer and let you listen to his/her breathe between the lyric, I'll say that is sweetness in its element.

Jun 23, 2012 at 11:42 AM Post #709 of 1,242
Quote:
Forwardness, texture, detail, and intimacy in vocal. Essentially, it is how close the singer is to the listener in the virtual space and how well that voice converts emotion - or if you like, how well it makes you feel like you are there. If a headphone can make you feel like you are right next to the singer and let you listen to his/her breathe between the lyric, I'll say that is sweetness in its element.

Sweet, thanks!

Jun 25, 2012 at 7:37 AM Post #712 of 1,242
is there any iem that meets the sound signature of the sony ex1000 but with less highs and of course less quality on a budget?

It has been a while since I last heard the EX1000, but I think the logical stepdown is EX600. Much cheaper if you can get it from U.S. and still pretty good.

Jun 27, 2012 at 1:21 AM Post #713 of 1,242
ok, let me correct my question a little bit. when i say "rolled off highs, smooth, spacious, sub bass rumble, under 1500 dollar" what comes to your mind? the ex600 cost about double the price here.

Jun 27, 2012 at 4:34 PM Post #714 of 1,242
Quote:
Quote:
Clieos, how would you define the term "sweetness"?

nice!! now, how would you define "dynamics" ?

and, after that, which one has better dynamics: RE262, FXT90 or GR07?

Jun 28, 2012 at 1:40 AM Post #715 of 1,242
ok, let me correct my question a little bit. when i say "rolled off highs, smooth, spacious, sub bass rumble, under 1500 dollar" what comes to your mind? the ex600 cost about double the price here.

1500 or is it 150 dollars? I'll assume it is the later. Well, actually EX600 is under $150, if you can find a way to ship it from US to Germany. Beside EX600, I don't think I can say in definite that I can associate a sub$150 IEM with an EX1000 sound. For your price range, I'll suggest you take a look into UE700. It should fit most of what you are looking for.

nice!! now, how would you define "dynamics" ?

and, after that, which one has better dynamics: RE262, FXT90 or GR07?

Dynamic has two definitions in the forum. The more formal definition of dynamic is for amp, where it defines range between the highest and lowest point of what the amp is capable of producing. The less formal use of dynamic in describing headphone is sort of borrowed the definition from the amp, where it defines the lower and highest notes a headphone is capable of producing in given music passage. That's more important in listening to classical when the quieter passage and the louder passage can vary a lot and a good dynamic headphone will give you both the calm and the motion during different passage. In a more common term, I like to think of it as how big a headphone can go in a sudden note change, like how fast a car can accelerate from 0 to 100km/h. Sometime, dynamic is also referred in the forum as the extension from bass to treble, which I think is more deviate from the traditional meaning of the word.

Out of the three, I'll say FXT90 and RE262 is close but FXT90 is slightly ahead, GR07 is noticeably less dynamic than the other two. It might look as a big weakness to have less dynamic, but stage monitor tuning generally should have less dynamic (as long as it is not totally lacking) since dynamic induces more fatigue in the long run.

Jun 28, 2012 at 11:18 AM Post #717 of 1,242
sorry, yes 150. well the ue700 have everything but rolled of highs and subbass rumble.

Actually the high does roll-off a little - well roll-off might not be the right word but UE700 isn't bright at all. As for sub-bass, not that many IEM can do it well, so it isn't that big of a deal if you really look into it.

Jun 29, 2012 at 8:47 AM Post #718 of 1,242
Quote:
Actually the high does roll-off a little - well roll-off might not be the right word but UE700 isn't bright at all. As for sub-bass, not that many IEM can do it well, so it isn't that big of a deal if you really look into it.

Depending how much you want them to rumble is a big factor, if you need rumble then i will recommend the Hippo VB.

Jun 29, 2012 at 9:55 AM Post #719 of 1,242
Though never formally announced, there are two version of VB. Any VB review predated this year are likely the original VB and anything within the year are VB v2.

Jun 29, 2012 at 9:59 AM Post #720 of 1,242
Quote:
Though never formally announced, there are two version of VB. Any VB review predated this year are likely the original VB and anything within the year are VB v2.

It was mainly a change in build quality right as there was problems, well i have the V2 and of all the IEMs i have tried, this and the FAD Adagio III are the only to were the air has moved and properly pounded my ears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back