Concise Multi-IEM Comparison (FINAL UPDATE March. 1st, 2013)
May 24, 2012 at 11:26 AM Post #646 of 1,242
Quote:
 Is this a store that ships to the US?

You bid on this thread: http://www.head-fi.org/t/607323/ttvj-and-hisoundaudio-form-a-new-partnership-1-bid-for-hisoundaudio-s-new-released-rocoo-ba-player#post_8337008

May 30, 2012 at 12:06 PM Post #649 of 1,242
You're not intending to review the Yamaha EPH-100?

Never said I will not review it. I'll try to pick one up next time I visit Singapore, in mid June, probably.

May 31, 2012 at 10:24 PM Post #652 of 1,242
ClieOS

Shure SE215, Yamaha EPH-100, Brainwavz B2.

Which would you recommend for a balanced sound with clarity?

B2 over SE215. Haven't heard EPH-100 and won't comment on it.

Jun 2, 2012 at 12:07 PM Post #654 of 1,242
TDK EB950, BA100 and BA200 added.

BA200.jpg

Warm + Sweet 3.    TDK BA200 (link)
Warm and sweet like the rest of the TDK’s IEM family but comes in more of a stage monitor tuning that resembles the Westone UM series. Like any good monitor, bass comes in a fairly neutral flavor. While it is tight, it still runs deep, impactful and good in texture. More importantly, it does come out when it is called for and never feel lacking in anyway except for a basshead. Mid is sweet, but not overly full or particular upfront. It is well distanced, showing space between the singer and the listener while still warm and have a decent sense of intimacy and texture. Treble is well extended but in a smooth way. Delicacy and detail are kept in place by having just enough sparkles and crispiness. Overall, neither one particular element stands out on its own where the whole presentation is rich but not lush and make for both a good stage monitor as well as day-to-day IEM
Pro: Top-tier sound for a dual driver price. Build quality. Accessories. Not picky on source.
Con: Slightly big Y-splitter. Availability.

EB950.jpg

Warm + Sweet 9.    TDK EB950 (link)
Warm and sweet sounding with a fairly strong lower end response. Bass can be slightly boomy at time but not aggressive. It can almost be classified as being bass dominated if not for the equally dominating mid range. Together they complement each other and present a sound that is fun and energetic. Treble, while not lacking, is a step behind the mid and bass. The light amount of sparkles adds detail to the overall sound but not an element of its own. While analytical listener would probably find it to be insufficient, casual listener will likely to enjoy the blend that is forwarded, dynamic, musical and fatigue free. Soundstage is about average, neither good nor particular bad in any aspects. Overall, EB950 is a high energy and easy-going IEM to listen to and best suited for casual listeners who are looking more for enjoyment rather than technical accuracy. As such, it is probably most suitable for more mainstream music as well. While it might not be the most accurate sounding IEM in the sub$100 market, it still compares really well to other popular choices in the same bucket such as HifiMan RE0 and Shure SE215.
Pro: Price/performance ratio.
Con: None.

BA100.jpg

Warm + Sweet 13.    TDK BA100 (link)
Warm and sweet sound, but almost on the opposite end on presentation in comparison to the lively EB950. Technically perhaps slightly more accurate than EB950, BA100 lacks a sense of dynamic and musicality. Bass is slightly higher in amount than being neutral, neither particular deep nor impactful. It is however well in line with the mid, in a fairly unremarkable way no less. With the treble mostly smoothed out and lacking of good sparkle and crispiness, the overall sound is on the thick and slow side, blurring out some of the lower end texture. The whole presentation is overly compensated to a point where smooth becomes BA100’s only flaw, as the life and edge of the music are sucked out from the sound itself and all it left is a sense of veil, almost like listening to an old Shure model. Due to the lack of air, soundstage is only below average. At this point, you might start asking whether BA100 is really that bad? No. It is still technically better than a lot of lower end single balanced armature IEM. However, it definitely comes short when compared to other good IEM within its MSRP of $200. The good news is that the street price is so low these days (as low as $50 on Amazon), it still makes for very a decent choice.
Pro: Low street price. Build quality. Accessories.
Con: Scary MSRP. Earpieces are on the large size.

Jun 2, 2012 at 2:10 PM Post #655 of 1,242
What do you think out of the newer Fischer Audio models would suit me most? SBA-03, Jazz, Paradigm v3, Tandem, Consonance? I guess I gravitate to the Balanced or Warm+Sweet spectrum, but do not like obviously recessed mids; the PR401 has a bit of that, but is fixable in EQ. GR07 is my kind of thing 
beerchug.gif

Jun 2, 2012 at 8:45 PM Post #656 of 1,242
Did I read that the BA200's are coming out in the US in the summer?

Jun 2, 2012 at 11:47 PM Post #657 of 1,242
Quote:
What do you think out of the newer Fischer Audio models would suit me most? SBA-03, Jazz, Paradigm v3, Tandem, Consonance? I guess I gravitate to the Balanced or Warm+Sweet spectrum, but do not like obviously recessed mids; the PR401 has a bit of that, but is fixable in EQ. GR07 is my kind of thing 
beerchug.gif

If you seriously consider the SBA-03, then you should look at the MEElectronics A161P.  My understanding is it is the exact same earphone but the Meelec is $30 cheaper and has a mic for smartphones.  It is a seriously good take on a 'neutral-ish' sig.  It's treble is a bit too tame and the bass just a smidge to big to be in the realm of CK10 neutrality but still excellent.

Jun 2, 2012 at 11:51 PM Post #658 of 1,242
Quote:
beerchug.gif

SBA-03 and Consonance are both good candidates. Like shotgunshane said, A161 is also a good alternative if you are looking at SBA-03.

Quote:
Did I read that the BA200's are coming out in the US in the summer?

That's what TDK said. Lets just hope it is real.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back