Comparisons: 36 of the Top Closed/Portable Headphones Around
Oct 26, 2013 at 7:28 AM Post #722 of 4,373
So I just received the Focal Spirit Classic and immediately gave it a spin. I'm really hoping these will improve with a bit of burn in, otherwise I'd say Focal really failed with this headphone. The soundstage is not very expansive, it's missing detail in the highrange, the bass is lacking a bit, the bass doesn't go very deep and it overall sounds a bit veiled.

Now I was comparing these to the 7520 back to back, and the 7520 has so much more detail, sounds very clear, very neutral, has good presentation throughout the whole frequency range and also has a much wider soundstage than the Focal.

Als in terms of comfort, the earcups are terrible. I mean, it's nice leather lambskin-ish stuff, but they're just too small. 50mm?? Seriously? And this is marketed as a hifi listen-at-home headphone, and then they deliver it with such small earcups? What were they thinking at Focal? Were they testing these things only on the heads of babies? So either way, just because of the bad comfort alone I'll be returning these very quickly. Will give them a bit of burn in time though, because maybe the sound will improve a bit (it also did with the P7, although the first impression of the P7 was much better).

But so far, I'm quite disappointed in these Focals. YMMV

P.S. The do look very pretty and the build quality appears to be excellent. But yeah, who cares if it doesn't sound that great and isn't comfortable, right?

Oct 26, 2013 at 8:03 AM Post #723 of 4,373
Did anyone notice newer a OVER THE EAR CLOSED headphones' earcups got a lot smaller? Just take the P7, K545 and the Focals... I have seen plenty of people complaint their ears touching the earpads of those headphones...

Oct 26, 2013 at 8:06 AM Post #724 of 4,373
Did anyone notice newer a OVER THE EAR CLOSED headphones' earcups got a lot smaller? Just take the P7, K545 and the Focals... I have seen plenty of people complaint their ears touching the earpads of those headphones...

The Focals have much smaller earcups than the P7, in the P7 my ears mostly fit inside. I can't even get my ears in the Focals, those are really more of an on-ear model.

Oct 26, 2013 at 8:30 AM Post #725 of 4,373
Hmmm, quite a disapointing first impressions youre having on the FSC
cool.gif

although my Spirit One did take quite some hours to sound as good as it could,  I would dare to say about 80+ hours of burn In time.

A decent burn in can make certained headphones sound very very much better.

Wel,.... I actualy want the new Focals to be good so lets hope they do make huge improvement after a decent and essential burn in.

Oct 26, 2013 at 8:44 AM Post #727 of 4,373
I'll give another update later today or tomorrow, will let them burn in throughout the day today and overnight

Oct 26, 2013 at 1:20 PM Post #728 of 4,373
Look, I don't believe in burn in... usually.  The Focal Spirit One sounded horrible (horrendous!) out of the box but they eventually got A LOT better.  The only case of burn in I've ever experienced to this day.

Maybe there's hope for the FSC, but instead of just running music through them, you should listen to them (since most of "burn in" is in the mind).

Oct 26, 2013 at 2:00 PM Post #729 of 4,373
  Look, I don't believe in burn in... usually.  The Focal Spirit One sounded horrible (horrendous!) out of the box but they eventually got A LOT better.  The only case of burn in I've ever experienced to this day.

Maybe there's hope for the FSC, but instead of just running music through them, you should listen to them (since most of "burn in" is in the mind).

The problem is, I can't bear listening to them because they're just too uncomfortable to my head and ears. They squish my ears against my head. And well, I've been listening the Sony 7520 since I've received them, and then when I put on the Focal's the music just sounds so veiled, like I'm missing so much detail. But I'll try to give them a better listen.

Have to say, I'm very very impressed by the Sony. Very revealing, very much detail, good imaging, well balanced sound, good soundstage and quite comfortable, although I'm gonna see if I can do something about those pads to make them even more comfortable. I know people tend to say this a lot, that they are hearing stuff they've never heard before, but I feel like with the 7520 I really am. I can see why it's used for mastering recordings, as you can pick out all the tiny little details and determine how you want the mix to sound. Even so, I still think it sounds great for just listening to and appreciating music :)

Oct 26, 2013 at 11:11 PM Post #730 of 4,373
Oct 26, 2013 at 11:34 PM Post #732 of 4,373
  Well...as promised, my B&W P7 mini review and update is now up on my review post on this thread. 
smile.gif

Very nice update MH! The P7's indeed sound like awesome cans :)

Oct 27, 2013 at 3:50 AM Post #733 of 4,373
Oct 27, 2013 at 4:42 AM Post #734 of 4,373
Yeah, great review MH. Couldn't agree more :) I really wish they would have been comfortable enough for me, I really didn't want to return them. And indeed, they look very gorgeous.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back