Comparisons: 36 of the Top Closed/Portable Headphones Around
Sep 1, 2013 at 3:12 PM Post #271 of 4,373
Quote:
...But, for portable headphones, I really don't think one should worry...on the go, who wants a DAC/AMP to lug around with them?...

This is exactly why I find myself reading this Excellent thread!  
Thank you MH for taking the time to write about your experiences. 

I'm kinda torn between the Momentum's, M500, or a pair of Mad Dogs (apples and an orange?).  Most listening would be around the house while trying to be semi-quiet when my daughter and/or wife is sleeping, occasional travel use as well...  so, I don't want to be limited to a desktop rig That may be in the future, but not right now.  Biggest drag about the Mad Dogs would be the need for a portable amp, and the added stuff to carry in order to move around (I almost ordered these a couple of weeks ago, but wanted to research a little more for something that wouldn't require an amp).  Would the Mad Dogs be worth the extra baggage and cost (for an amp)? Or stay light and get the Sens or KEFs?

Not trying to hijack/derail the thread, but thought this might be something that other people are considering as well.
Cheers

Sep 1, 2013 at 4:19 PM Post #272 of 4,373
Quote:
Quote:
...But, for portable headphones, I really don't think one should worry...on the go, who wants a DAC/AMP to lug around with them?...

I'm kinda torn between the Momentum's, M500, or a pair of Mad Dogs (apples and an orange?).  Most listening would be around the house while trying to be semi-quiet when my daughter and/or wife is sleeping, occasional travel use as well...  so, I don't want to be limited to a desktop rig That may be in the future, but not right now.  Biggest drag about the Mad Dogs would be the need for a portable amp, and the added stuff to carry in order to move around (I almost ordered these a couple of weeks ago, but wanted to research a little more for something that wouldn't require an amp).  Would the Mad Dogs be worth the extra baggage and cost (for an amp)? Or stay light and get the Sens or KEFs?

Not trying to hijack/derail the thread, but thought this might be something that other people are considering as well.
Cheers

You can always do the fanny pack thing for the brick. I am with MH though about being really mobile. The iPhone 5 and some CIEM's or the Senn HD25-1 ii's or the Beyer DT-1350's work nicely. I use the brick on airplanes of maybe in the hotel room when I am doing some desk work.

Sep 1, 2013 at 4:49 PM Post #273 of 4,373
Quote:
Cheers

To me the phrase "portable amp" is a contradiction in terms, so I'd rule the mad dogs out immediately. Momentum's are quite small and portable, but don't fold down, which mean they'd take up a bit of space in a bag on a plane, and I didn't like their sound much - with my phone source and not burned in. M500's are on ear, which I just don't like, and will block out very little noise. So to me for your usage Sony R1 or Senn Momentum, based on personal preferences.

Sep 1, 2013 at 5:56 PM Post #274 of 4,373
Demo. As I said in my write-up it is preferences between Mo and M500

Quote:
To me the phrase "portable amp" is a contradiction in terms

Agree. But also think if someone is going to use these around the house then it depends what rig they are running. If the opportunity is there to go for full sized cans then would go with the potential. Would only pick portable full-size can for home use  if the source rig does not drive anything more demanding than that

Sep 1, 2013 at 6:51 PM Post #275 of 4,373
I just think the DT1350 should rank a bit high... I have listened to the PSB M4U 2, DT1350, 1R, 1RNC, QC15.... DT1350 definitely isolate better than 1R. I think it is the same as the PSB (without NC) DT1350 is actually quite comfortable after owning it a while. (Not when you first put it on tho. I agrees that PSB M4U 2 has got better imaging, i think its due to the bigger sound stage (bigger driver)

Sep 1, 2013 at 8:42 PM Post #278 of 4,373
Probably because I have weak neck. I found active NC headphone are always heavier than what I would like them to be. Due to the circuitry. I am only comparing between the headphones in the review anyway. Not like the LCD's. Between the ones, PSB is indeed heavier.

Sep 1, 2013 at 9:45 PM Post #279 of 4,373
Quote:

Cheers

Thanks! I used to own some pricey LODs (still think I have a Moon Audio Silver Dragon LOD) and some top flight portable amps....but in terms of portability, they're not really well....portable. So instead I looked for headphones that sounded great out of my iPod, iPad or iPhone 5.

Did some listening yesterday with the KEF M500s and I gotta say, they just might be my favourites for sound, portability and comfort. But they're one area that I wish they were better at was noise isolation. The Momentums are a good step up. If they isolated as well as the Momentums, they would hit on all cylinders IMO.

Sep 1, 2013 at 11:35 PM Post #282 of 4,373
Quote:
Thanks! I used to own some pricey LODs (still think I have a Moon Audio Silver Dragon LOD) and some top flight portable amps....but in terms of portability, they're not really well....portable. So instead I looked for headphones that sounded great out of my iPod, iPad or iPhone 5.

This is my thinking exactly..  any word on KEF coming out with a circumaural? 
wink_face.gif
     The isolation isreally not that much of a concern, ( I have some IEMs (qJAYS, Dunu Trident) for airplanes & loud work environment), but leakage is a concern....  sounds like the KEF are top of list for me.  Thanks MH, and company.  Now, to find someplace that I can listen to both m500 and Momentum...  
tongue.gif

Sep 2, 2013 at 1:52 PM Post #283 of 4,373
The M500s sound great, their sound is far better than the price would suggest. Midrange wise, they are no worse than my LCD-2s actually and the bass is great too. The treble however, feels a little bright at the moment. We'll see if burn in changes that :)

But they sound better than the Momentum, no doubt. 

Sep 3, 2013 at 11:01 PM Post #284 of 4,373
  The M500s sound great, their sound is far better than the price would suggest. Midrange wise, they are no worse than my LCD-2s actually and the bass is great too. The treble however, feels a little bright at the moment. We'll see if burn in changes that :)

But they sound better than the Momentum, no doubt. 

Hey, I'm glad you're enjoying them. They are the most neutral portable headphones I've heard yet. 

Sep 5, 2013 at 12:42 PM Post #285 of 4,373
  I place the folded M500 in position inside the case. And then twirl the cable into the space in the middle. You might have to twist the 2.5mm connector end 180 degrees for the sake of storage orientation.

@LFC_SL: +1. I don't have any problem putting the m500's in the case with the cable still attached.

@MacedonianHero: great thread and nice work! Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back