Comparison / Review : Beyerdynamic’s Siblings – The Classic DT880 Vs The Flagship T1
Jul 24, 2014 at 11:51 PM Post #46 of 105

I actually liked it. Maybe one of the few that did, granted I only listened for 30 seconds or so. I liked it better than my Edition 8s which were closed back and not as nice. I think that Beyer does an overall more natural presentation than Ultrasone. Ultrasone is better for bassheads and DJ's, Beyer for everyone else... Ultrasone focuses more on design, Beyer more on ultimate sound quality for a lower cost... There's a reason why most sound engineers, masterers, recording artists, etc.. choose Beyers usually the T770 and DT880 from what I have seen actually!

It amazes me that we do hear in so so so much different way 
normal_smile .gif

Edition 10 is a good example of what a metallic treble should sound. It sounds like blades to my ears, highly ear piercing.
That makes me wonder how engineers in Ultrasound perceive sound.

On the other hand, I do like Edition 8 which has the opposite sound signature than the Edition 10.

I guess they are just cleverly tried to makes some variations in Head-fi world.

Sorry for OOT 
wink_face.gif

Edition 10 can stop here 
bigsmile_face.gif

Jul 25, 2014 at 10:09 PM Post #47 of 105
and now I honestly wonder how the T1 compares to the HE 4, the HE 4 was a step up in every way to the DT 880, although it does have the same sound stage width as the DT 880 does, it's ofc deeper

still though... I wonder how the T1 and the HE 4 compare, I'd imagine the T1 is wider... but aside from that... I'm curious :D 

Jul 27, 2014 at 4:02 PM Post #49 of 105
Thanks - unfortunately haven't heard the T70, T90, or T5/T5P.  Have to admit that the T5P would be interesting to me if it ever comes down in price though.

Jul 28, 2014 at 4:47 PM Post #52 of 105
  I'am about to hear this T1 this week(audition only)to hear it for my self if it's worth $$$$ over my DT880 600 ohms.

At first you'll notice how alike tonally they are.  The more time you spend with the T1's though, the more you'll realise the gap there is.

Jul 28, 2014 at 4:55 PM Post #53 of 105

I'am about to hear this T1 this week(audition only)to hear it for my self if it's worth $$$$ over my DT880 600 ohms.

At first you'll notice how alike tonally they are.  The more time you spend with the T1's though, the more you'll realise the gap there is.

I hope soo but remember my ears are different from someone else ears IMO sound is very subjective something might sound good to me might not be good for others.

Jul 28, 2014 at 5:55 PM Post #54 of 105
    I hope soo but remember my ears are different from someone else ears IMO sound is very subjective something might sound good to me might not be good for others.

Agree - will await your impressions.

Jul 28, 2014 at 6:42 PM Post #55 of 105
I've owned the DT880 and now own a T1 and I'd say your review was absolutely spot on to what I've heard. I wouldn't go back at all. 

You could say 99% of the headphones above a certain price are overpriced, as law of diminishing returns kicks in - you pay a lot for the last inches of improvement. Do I feel that the T1 is 4 fold the DT880? Not at all - but at least noticeably an improvement that makes going back feel like a distinct downgrade - for me at least. Some feel it goes the other way which is fine.

One thing to remember, is that there are good and bad T1 headphones, of which sound poor or good depending on your luck at times. You can investigate this through google, as by the rules I cannot provide a link to the page of measurements.

Jul 28, 2014 at 9:25 PM Post #56 of 105
That last paragraph explains a lot in terms of divergent reviews, but it's a bit disappointing that a $1000+ headphone can't attain greater consistency. That sort of investment shouldn't be a lottery.

Jul 28, 2014 at 10:03 PM Post #57 of 105
Agree - but all I can do is comment on the two pairs I have - and the T1's (for my tastes) are definitely a very good step up, and well worth what I paid for them.

Jul 29, 2014 at 2:10 PM Post #58 of 105
+1 for the review.

I’ve got the DT880 600 and it led me straight to the T1. I did let it go after a while and I wouldn’t switch back (unless I’m forced to), but I believe it’s one of the best value all-rounder, if you are on a tight budget.

I have to mention the travel case is of the T1 is not that useful as the DT880’s. It protects the headphones better without question, but when you travel/fly a lot and you restricted with weight and room the leather case beats the alu. Not to mention you can use it with most of the other headphones, so get an extra
beyersmile.png

Jul 29, 2014 at 3:21 PM Post #59 of 105
  Thanks - unfortunately haven't heard the T70, T90, or T5/T5P.  Have to admit that the T5P would be interesting to me if it ever comes down in price though.

They are all so different. I would say the T70P is the most neutral/analytical of the bunch. There was no bass but LOTS of details and very strong high end, probably the brightest closed back headphones Beyer makes.

The T90 are the most "open." The DT880s are actually sold as Semi-Open, the T90 has those big slits. I have heard that it is a lot more bright than the DT880 and is supposed to be the Tesla upgrade to it.

The T5P is darker although still bright for my tastes. It's a lot more coloured than the T70P but still revealing.

Jul 29, 2014 at 8:39 PM Post #60 of 105
It's hard to make out, but the 880 is actually the flattest response in this bunch, so my question is this:

Why do so many expensive headphones measure worse than cheaper ones. I know the FR doesn't tell all, but it tells something, and I'm loathe to spend significant amount of money on a headphone that measures worse than the one I've got. Is it not possible to design a phone that both sounds and measures well, or rather, measures as well as it sounds. I may buy a super-duper phone and be impressed with the sound, but the fact that its FR resembles the Rocky Mountains would always worry me. I'm funny like that.

graphCompare.php

Users who are viewing this thread

Back