Comparison / Review : Beyerdynamic’s Siblings – The Classic DT880 Vs The Flagship T1
Aug 7, 2014 at 9:06 PM Post #91 of 105
I'd disagree (especially at recent pricing) - but then I compared the two for far longer, and it comes down to personal preference at the end of the day.

Aug 7, 2014 at 9:06 PM Post #92 of 105
For the price, the original classic trio (DT880, K/Q70x, HD600) are virtually impossible to beat. But what if after owning one of those, you wanted something 'more'? When the price/performance ratio champ doesn't give you the satisfaction anymore, you know you have to forget about price/performance ratio.

Aug 7, 2014 at 9:10 PM Post #93 of 105
 Have you tried CRACK  for your DT880?If not you should it might changed your mind,Originally i saved up for CRACK and T1 but since i heard the Crack and DT880 combo that changes everything for me because i never heard my DT880 sounded like this.The bass is always present no matter what type of music i'am playing unlike before sometimes it can be bass shy.  

Aug 7, 2014 at 9:16 PM Post #95 of 105
Of the trio, the price of entry for the t1s is way less when you look at Hd800 & k812.

This. The T1 is actually the best value compared to HD800 / K812 IMO. Furthermore, it is easy to drive. It may not be as easy to drive as the K812, but it does cost less than the K812. You can essentially get the T1 and an amp for the price of the K812.

Aug 7, 2014 at 9:16 PM Post #96 of 105
  For the price, the original classic trio (DT880, K/Q70x, HD600) are virtually impossible to beat. But what if after owning one of those, you wanted something 'more'? When the price/performance ratio champ doesn't give you the satisfaction anymore, you know you have to forget about price/performance ratio.

Oh I'd agree definitely if you are purely talking value proposition - they haven't been called the mid-fi kings for nothing (actually I hate that term - as all 3 are high fidelity headphones).

But I also think that (especially with the DT880 vs T1) in a store environment, trying to compare the two headphones in an hour, or even two, simply does not give you a great enough point of reference to judge properly.  Try living with the T1 for a day, then switching back to the DT880.  It doesn't change how good the DT880 is - but it does make you realise how much better the T1 is (IMO).

For me - I couldn't easily go back.  And I personally thought that around USD700 - it's a bargain.

Aug 7, 2014 at 9:16 PM Post #97 of 105
Call me crazy, but I preferred the darkvoice 336 over the crack when I tried it with the dt880 & t90s. It's more "musical" and had better treble extension. I need a new 5998 tube tho. :/

Aug 7, 2014 at 9:20 PM Post #98 of 105

Oh I'd agree definitely if you are purely talking value proposition - they haven't been called the mid-fi kings for nothing (actually I hate that term - as all 3 are high fidelity headphones).

But I also think that (especially with the DT880 vs T1) in a store environment, trying to compare the two headphones in an hour, or even two, simply does not give you a great enough point of reference to judge properly.  Try living with the T1 for a day, then switching back to the DT880.  It doesn't change how good the DT880 is - but it does make you realise how much better the T1 is (IMO).

For me - I couldn't easily go back.  And I personally thought that around USD700 - it's a bargain.

Agreed. IMO it is easier to find the flaws of an inferior product after having a first hand experience with a superior product, than finding the flaws of a superior product with the experience of an inferior one.

Let me put it this way, if you're used to drive a 500 BHP car, driving a (same weight) 200 BHP car would be a walk in a park. But if you're used to drive a 200 BHP car, driving a 500 BHP car would be a nightmare. Not sure if this metaphor makes sense, but I hope it does.

Aug 8, 2014 at 7:27 AM Post #100 of 105
Pretty eclectic tastes really - in no particular order:

Classical - adore Tchaikovsky & Beethoven (both Symphony & Piano Sonatas).  Some Dvorak in there too.
Opera - when I'm in the mood - big fan of Netrebko and Garanca.  And of course Pavarotti.
Jazz - Mingus, Coltrane, Davis, Steely Dan.  Also some more modern - Portico Quartet
Female modern Jazz - Norah Jones, Diana Krall, Katie Melua, Kimbra
A lot of Indie lately - Angus & Julia Stone, Yesper, Daughter, Quiles & Cloud, Wildlight, Amarante, Sea Wolf, We Became Owls, Boy, 
Blues - Clapton, Cale, Bonamassa, Beth Hart, Joanna Connor, Mark Lanagan
Straight Acoustic - Nils Lofgren, Estas Tonne
Soul - Adele, Joss Stone, India Arie, Lianne La Havas
Trance - Mostly Armin Van Buuren
Electronic - The Flashbulb, Little Dragon, Goldfrapp, Grimes, Daft Punk, Austra, Exist Strategy
Alt Rock - way too many to name - but includes Coldplay, Gotye, The Cranberries, Breaking Benjamin, 3 Doors Down, Alter Bridge, Seether, Snow Patrol
Classic Rock (again huge collection) - including the Eagles, The Police, Billy Joel, Springsteen, Bryan Adams, Dire Straits, Elton John, Genesis, Fleetwood Mac, Led Zepp, Queen, REM, Supertramp, The Stones etc.
Grunge - a lot of Pearl Jam, and a bit of Nirvana 
Prog Rock - mainly Floyd and Porcupine Tree
And a whole heap of female vocals - pop, rock, folk

Above is just a smattering of some of the artists.  All up I have about 400 full albums (mostly CD or high res download) - all paid for legally - I think that's what I'm most proud of.  According to Foobar - there is about 240 different artists.

Aug 8, 2014 at 7:48 AM Post #101 of 105
lol 400 albums, that's one huge collection mate. I have only about 160 albums, but I agree, even with only 160 albums I'm proud that each and every single one of them are paid for legally (95% CD, 5% digital download).

Aug 8, 2014 at 7:58 AM Post #102 of 105
Pretty small compared to some on here 
smile.gif

I've bought a lot of albums from Bandcamp over the last few years - surprising how good some of the music is from artists who haven't really been discovered yet.  I guess I buy around 4-5 new albums a month, so it's been a labour of love.  Hard part now is making sure I listen to all of them.  The nice thing sometimes is rediscovering someone you'd forgotten about.

The discussion on Head-Fi is quite enjoyable (gear comparisons, discussions etc) - but the threads I never miss are the "what are you listening to now" and "most recent 5 music purchases" etc.  Amazing how many new artists I've picked up from the music discussion threads.

If I stopped buying new music for a while, I'd have those HD800s in less than 12 months.  But hey ...... they can wait 
biggrin.gif
.  For me it's always been about the music.

Aug 8, 2014 at 8:45 AM Post #103 of 105
Thanks for that. I have no specific comment on your tastes as I've either never heard of or never heard most of the people mentioned beyond the first three lines; my tastes are nowhere near as catholic as yours. It's great you're so inclusive; I'm decidedly exclusive. Never mind. Perhaps in the next lifetime...

One thing's for sure: your opinion of headphones is going to be reliable over a wide range of genres. There's nothing worse than reading a long review of a headphone only to discover at the end that the reviewer listens to Industrial Metal or Trance or whatever exclusively. Wow, what a big waste of time.

Aug 8, 2014 at 12:14 PM Post #104 of 105
Thanks to my Dad - who was a DJ - i have over 2000 vinyl....and on my own - I bought over 500 vinyl and I currently own over 1000 CDs and 150 SACD....very ecletic tastes...and I enjoy the DT-800 with mostly the acoustic instruments and anything with a male voice...

Nov 17, 2014 at 2:46 PM Post #105 of 105
For any who are interested, I finished my T1 vs HD800 comparison last night.  2nd post below it looks at HD600 vs HD800.  Thanks again to Rizki for making it all possible.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/742673/comparison-review-a-tale-of-two-flagships-t1-vs-hd800

Users who are viewing this thread

Back