Colorfly C3 Discussion Thread
Aug 5, 2013 at 7:21 PM Post #1,651 of 3,325
that sucks...........

it doesnt have that new toy feel anymore after hearing that.

and for some reason that sorter deleted some songs when moving them..... way too much trouble.  i thought this was going to be drag and drop.

Aug 5, 2013 at 7:34 PM Post #1,652 of 3,325
Quote:
that sucks...........

it doesnt have that new toy feel anymore after hearing that.

and for some reason that sorter deleted some songs when moving them..... way too much trouble.  i thought this was going to be drag and drop.

It is drag and drop and if you already have your music folders and files sorted properly they will be sorted on the C3 properly. I just use Drive Sort for a second when I add new music to my sd card coz I'm used to keeping my music library in check and I never rely on id3 tags as I've had issues before but yeah, you might need a few hours to properly order and organize your music to get seamless navigation with the C3. And I've never had issues with the Sorter - I told you it removes the files to another folder and then starts to place them one by one in order in the original folder, so you have to wait for it to finish and you should make sure all your files are in there before closing it as bigger files will need more time to move back to it. 

Aug 5, 2013 at 7:43 PM Post #1,653 of 3,325
Quote:
It is drag and drop and if you already have your music folders and files sorted properly they will be sorted on the C3 properly. I just use Drive Sort for a second when I add new music to my sd card coz I'm used to keeping my music library in check and I never rely on id3 tags as I've had issues before but yeah, you might need a few hours to properly order and organize your music to get seamless navigation with the C3. And I've never had issues with the Sorter - I told you it removes the files to another folder and then starts to place them one by one in order in the original folder, so you have to wait for it to finish and you should make sure all your files are in there before closing it as bigger files will need more time to move back to it. 

it deleted the first 3 tracks....and i did wait.  

maybe it was just a blip or random error.  

just have way too many albums to do this.  

Aug 5, 2013 at 7:57 PM Post #1,654 of 3,325
Quote:
 it deleted the first 3 tracks....and i did wait.  

maybe it was just a blip or random error.  

just have way too many albums to do this.  

And all your albums have messed up track numbering? The only ones I had with messed up order were the one from HDtracks, so it didn't take me too much time to get them in line. I personally just put the folders I wanted on my sd card when I first got it and just enjoyed the music for a few days not worrying about the order and in the mean time step by step organized all the music in folders and sub-folders on my pc the way I wanted it to appear on my C3 - then I just deleted all the files from the sdcard and copied the new organised folders and[size=x-small] voila - my C3 was set to go. Yeah, it did take me few hours to organize everything but it was worth it.[/size]

Aug 5, 2013 at 7:59 PM Post #1,655 of 3,325
Not sure if this is going to help you, but I'll explain what I do...

I don't sort by song, artist, genre, doesn't interest me. All my albums are in folders on the sd card.

When I add new folders to the microsd, C3 sort them by date and for some reason anything new you transfer can be found by immediately scrolling up instead of down in the menu.

If you want to sort it into alphabetical order.

Transfer all your album folders onto the root menu of your micro sd. then create a folder in your cards root menu called MUSIC.

Drag all your album folders into that sub folder. By doing this you're transferring everything at the same time and the C3 will read them in alphabetical order it just doesn't start exactly at A when you turn it on, you need to scroll down a few folders.

Over time when you add more folders and they become out of order drag everything into a new sub folder again for example MUSIC2 and move everything again at the same time. Once everything is moved you can delete the original, now empty sub folder.

I don't use any programs, no drive magic fairy floss, just Windows and don't have a problem. If however you want to sort by song, genre, artist, etc etc.... this is not the player for you, it's purely for sorting by folder view.

Aug 5, 2013 at 8:11 PM Post #1,656 of 3,325
I personally have ordered everything alphabetically. I have main folder named, for instance A-F, G-L etc. and inside are the folders of the artists that correspond to the letters included in the main folders. The artists are ordered alphabetically in the main folders and then in them are the folders with their albums. So if I want to listen, for instance to Iron Maiden - I go to the G-L folder and to the Iron Maiden folder and choose the album I want to listen to.

H20, you should really try Drive Sort - no dragging and dropping, no creating new folders  - you just open the program, click on Disk and Open and choose your sd card. Then you'll see all the folders - and you just choose to organize them alphabetically and it does in a blink of an eye and then you choose Save and you're good to go. Open any of those folders if it has sub-folders in it and do the same. It takes like less than 10 seconds to do all that and you have them perfectly arranged in alphabetical order with the C3 starting exactly at A when you turn it on.

Aug 5, 2013 at 8:16 PM Post #1,657 of 3,325
Also, I should mention, when I say drag everything at the same time, I mean either by pressing CTRL + A highlighting all your folders then drag them, or by holding the CTRL key on your keyboard and highlighting by clicking then drag.

There is no need to drag each album folder separately into the sub folder.

Aug 5, 2013 at 8:19 PM Post #1,658 of 3,325
I personally have ordered everything alphabetically. I have main folder named, for instance A-F, G-L etc. and inside are the folders of the artists that correspond to the letters included in the main folders. The artists are ordered alphabetically in the main folders and then in them are the folders with their albums. So if I want to listen, for instance to Iron Maiden - I go to the G-L folder and to the Iron Maiden folder and choose the album I want to listen to.

H20, you should really try Drive Sort - no dragging and dropping, no creating new folders  - you just open the program, click on Disk and Open and choose your sd card. Then you'll see all the folders - and you just choose to organize them alphabetically and it does in a blink of an eye and then you choose Save and you're good to go. Open any of those folders if it has sub-folders in it and do the same. It takes like less than 10 seconds to do all that and you have them perfectly arranged in alphabetical order with the C3 starting exactly at A when you turn it on.

I've been doing it this way for about a year now it's just so natural to me. It takes me about 35 seconds to create the folder hit CRTL-A moving everything at once then delete the old sub folder.I don't want to change as I'm just immune to it, very easy 30 second fix.

Aug 5, 2013 at 8:24 PM Post #1,659 of 3,325
Quote:
I've been doing it this way for about a year now it's just so natural to me. It takes me about 35 seconds to create the folder move everything at once then delete the old sub folder.I don't want to change as I'm just immune to it, very easy 30 second fix.

Well, it's your choice but if you don't have sub-folders to go to and organize separately DriveSort takes like 2 seconds to do that and the C3 will always start at A. You know you want to try it http://www.anerty.net/dl/DriveSort_en.zip 
size]

Aug 5, 2013 at 8:24 PM Post #1,660 of 3,325
Takes no time at all. I do it the same way as H2O just habit by now for me also. 
Haven't bothered to look for linux drive sorter type thing.
 So long as it is a new folder on the same card cut and paste in then cut and paste out is near instantaneous.
Sometimes I have to do this to reorder within an album folder also, but that's a case by case thing.
Either way works.

35 seconds... that's sloooow
ph34r.gif

Aug 5, 2013 at 8:33 PM Post #1,661 of 3,325
It's like that old wives tale where you she simply won't change her recipe. I believe the drive sort could possibly work faster, but it's much of muchness to me.

Still love my C3, been a great companion to my IEM's and even some headphones. Still impresses me.

I heard a rumour Colorfly are bringing out a new DAP soon, just a rumour for now through someone I know.

Aug 5, 2013 at 8:50 PM Post #1,662 of 3,325
Quote:
Takes no time at all. I do it the same way as H2O just habit by now for me also. 
Haven't bothered to look for linux drive sorter type thing.
 So long as it is a new folder on the same card cut and paste in then cut and paste out is near instantaneous.
Sometimes I have to do this to reorder within an album folder also, but that's a case by case thing.
Either way works.

35 seconds... that's sloooow
ph34r.gif

well using linux it takes about 25 seconds to sort almost 60 gb of music using the tool fatsort it also helps that your catalog is already in pretty good shape before the sort.

Aug 5, 2013 at 9:05 PM Post #1,663 of 3,325
And all your albums have messed up track numbering? The only ones I had with messed up order were the one from HDtracks, so it didn't take me too much time to get them in line. I personally just put the folders I wanted on my sd card when I first got it and just enjoyed the music for a few days not worrying about the order and in the mean time step by step organized all the music in folders and sub-folders on my pc the way I wanted it to appear on my C3 - then I just deleted all the files from the sdcard and copied the new organised folders and[COLOR=444444] voila - my C3 was set to go. Yeah, it did take me few hours to organize everything but it was worth it.[/COLOR]

With the c3 yes.

Everything is fine with rockbox.

But I did the whole cut and paste and at least the folders are in order.

Aug 5, 2013 at 10:22 PM Post #1,664 of 3,325
Using a Mac, I can't use the app mentioned.  I have everything in individually named folders (either a single CD or a compilation), often as a single WAV/CUE file set.  I also have a folder named zzzzzzzzz.   When I add or change something, I simply drag and drop ALL the folders into the zzzzzz folder, and then drag and drop them back out (using select all).  That's it, takes about 15 seconds.  This works both on my microcard and on the built-in  Colorfly hd. No muss, no fuss.

This thing sounds great, just a pain to see in bright sun (tiny screen).  If, while out walking I want to change folders, I have to find or create shade so I can see what I'm doing.  But, with the C&C amp, I can walk and change volume, and I can also reach into my carrying pouch and advance to the next track as well without looking.  Pretty barebones, but I knew that before I purchased it, after reading this thread.  '

Now, if my Chris_Himself cord would just arrive (more than a week to wait) and if bumblebees515 receives my broken silver plated connector in HK and a new one is dispatched within the next month, I'll be a happy camper.  :)

Aug 6, 2013 at 2:26 AM Post #1,665 of 3,325
Quote:
Gotta love new C3 owners, I must of seen this pattern repeat itself several times in this thread.

I'll let Sir Kova work with you. But don't worry, after a few days, you'll be loving your C3.
wink_face.gif

Lol! I'm glad I had my pattern before I bought it though. That allowed me to mentally prepare myself and have zero expectations for it's functionality. I still had 100% expectations for the SQ though, and happily it has lived up to that :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back