Chord Hugo
Aug 9, 2014 at 8:19 PM Post #7,382 of 15,694
By the way and iPod with Camera connection and a simple USB by passes the Internal inside the iPod.
The iPod issue is the CPU it's not good for the Hugo a iphone even a 4s is much better
I use an iphone 5 and it is very good with a hugo. A CPU is a little better and a caps is better yet. At that point the limiting factor is the Hugo itself
So try an iPad or an Iphone. Either one is better than an iPod.
Someone else should chime I. And help
Al

Aug 9, 2014 at 9:08 PM Post #7,383 of 15,694
And some people are never happy.  Others just want something to talk about incessantly.  Not happy, after 400 hours.  Move on.
Note:  I live darkwave.  I find the Hugo/Audeze LCD-X sublime.  Listening to This Mortal Coil, one of the remastered releases.

elviscaprice - how do you find the LCD x and hugo combo for other genres like classical, jazz, female vocals . I sold my LCD 2 and th900 before getting the Hugo so didn't have a chance to test. but knowing their soundsignuture I know they won't work for me. need a bit of lushness in the mids that the th900 didn't give me (they are a great set of cans for rock, electronica etc) and there ius no way the Hugo will properly drive the lcd2 well not the way a drove them with a burson soloist. I thought I'll go all portable but miss a full size can now.

by the way, Hugo, dx90 and fitear tg334 is just a fantastic combo for my ears.

Aug 9, 2014 at 10:08 PM Post #7,384 of 15,694
elviscaprice - how do you find the LCD x and hugo combo for other genres like classical, jazz, female vocals . I sold my LCD 2 and th900 before getting the Hugo so didn't have a chance to test. but knowing their soundsignuture I know they won't work for me. need a bit of lushness in the mids that the th900 didn't give me (they are a great set of cans for rock, electronica etc) and there ius no way the Hugo will properly drive the lcd2 well not the way a drove them with a burson soloist. I thought I'll go all portable but miss a full size can now.

by the way, Hugo, dx90 and fitear tg334 is just a fantastic combo for my ears.

Molika,
     I am big on classical (especially Opera) with a smattering of jazz.  New Wave 80's is my forte with dark wave being a preference.  Of course I am diverse with other genres.  I find the X's a good compromise for all my genre listening.
     Most importantly, I don't like my music loud, especially with cans on.  I find the Hugo/LCD-X a match made in heaven for my preferences.  As discussed earlier by many folks, the Hugo is a live music persons heaven and the LCD-X just amplifies that, I concur.  It's in your face, and if your like me, like your volume level just low enough to capture all the sonics/stage presentation but not too high to fatigue, then I think this match is very good, the Hugo/LCD-X, reference sound at it's best.
But if you like to hear your music very loud with your cans, then it will feel too harsh and fatiguing over time with the Hugo/LCD-X combo. 
Note:  Even at live events, if the music is too loud, it will have a fatiguing effect on me.  The Hugo is no different.
Molika,
I would think that with an impedance of 70 ohms on the LCD 2, that it would be driven well with the Hugo?  I don't know anything about it's sound signature.  But from what I've read the LCD-X or new LCD 3 are great choices over the LCD 2.
Listening currently to Cecilia Bartoli in Chant D'Amour, redbook.  Excellent sonics with the Hugo/LCD-X.

Aug 9, 2014 at 10:34 PM Post #7,385 of 15,694
  Currawong, the USB power supply question was taken out of context. 

Sorry about that. I thought the question was odd, but somehow missed where it came from.

Have you given sufficient time to burn in those LCD 2.2?  Or are you using them brand new, if so try burning them in for 200 hours or so before you judge them, same goes for the Hugo.  Most equipment needs time in use before they sound their best.

Burn-in doesn't change the sound signature. If he wants more bass, he has the wrong headphones.

Aug 9, 2014 at 11:03 PM Post #7,386 of 15,694
Hykrief, i think its more like your preference. I mean Hugo does have a in your face sound signature which you do not like, but thats just putting it in a bad way. Like i said before, i didnt like it in the beggining either but i assue you when you go back to more laid back dacs etc, you will miss the intimacy hugo brings to the table. In a positive sense, in your face really means you are sitting at the front row of a concert to the singer, lots of audiophilles look for this trait as a positive. Unfortunately, you do not like that.. your more like a middle row person.. like someone suggested, try listening at lower volumes... i dint get why you dont get enough bass with the hugo. I get it plenty with my speakers..

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

Aug 9, 2014 at 11:05 PM Post #7,387 of 15,694
  Molika,
     I am big on classical (especially Opera) with a smattering of jazz.  New Wave 80's is my forte with dark wave being a preference.  Of course I am diverse with other genres.  I find the X's a good compromise for all my genre listening.
     Most importantly, I don't like my music loud, especially with cans on.  I find the Hugo/LCD-X a match made in heaven for my preferences.  As discussed earlier by many folks, the Hugo is a live music persons heaven and the LCD-X just amplifies that, I concur.  It's in your face, and if your like me, like your volume level just low enough to capture all the sonics/stage presentation but not too high to fatigue, then I think this match is very good, the Hugo/LCD-X, reference sound at it's best.
But if you like to hear your music very loud with your cans, then it will feel too harsh and fatiguing over time with the Hugo/LCD-X combo. 
Note:  Even at live events, if the music is too loud, it will have a fatiguing effect on me.  The Hugo is no different.
Molika,
I would think that with an impedance of 70 ohms on the LCD 2, that it would be driven well with the Hugo?  I don't know anything about it's sound signature.  But from what I've read the LCD-X or new LCD 3 are great choices over the LCD 2.
Listening currently to Cecilia Bartoli in Chant D'Amour, redbook.  Excellent sonics with the Hugo/LCD-X.

thx mate, much appreciated. yeah i like my goth/dark wave stuff as well and assumed the lcd x will be good (i was listening to dead can dance sacd earlier today and just fantastic). Like you i dont like my music to loud. re lcd 2, LCD2 need high current which im not sure the hugo and deliver. i've never heard a portable amp and ive tried a few drive them like the soloist or the v200 which are a few mid tier amps. again, i haven't heard the lcd 2 with the hugo but if i go on whats been said in the last few pages of this thread i dont think its a good match. cheers

Aug 9, 2014 at 11:14 PM Post #7,388 of 15,694
ted have you tried a caps server with the hugo , in a usb connection ?? and if so what improvements were noted.

also regarding the 24/7 power cycle . Are the facts you claim from something we can measure or from listening.
al

Al, for the past year I have been running a dual CAPS Zuma WS2012 setup, each using AO (with slightly different signatures) and JRiver/Jplay.  My audiopc is an Asus motherboard and a JCAT USB card running core mode, and I use one of three USB cables (JCAT, TotalDAC D1 or Paul Pang's older statement cable).  The Hugo/JCAT cable (using JCAT USB card in powered but unfiltered mode) is my favorite combo.

Several folks told me the digital clock settling time years ago, including Ed Meitner and Alex Peychev.  I never seriously listen (for eval, reviews, serious late night listening) unless the 48 hours is observed, but since I run them 24/7 I;m seldom in that quandry.

Aug 9, 2014 at 11:21 PM Post #7,389 of 15,694
Damn this forum...

Been sat here all night (currently 0420hrs) listening to my Cyrus CD player through Hugo (optical) wondering why it sounded a little harsh...

Realised I was using my budget QED cable, swapped in my glass cable, much better :)

Only Head-Fi could make me swap out an optical cable and actually hear the difference :wink:

Aug 10, 2014 at 12:52 AM Post #7,390 of 15,694
Has anyone paired the Chord Hugo with a Fischer Audio's FA-002W High Edition? I don't have my easy to drive JVC HP-DX1000 with me at the moment; I work overseas and took my amazing Fischers with me.

These Fischer Audio's are an Impedence of 200-Ohms and a Sensitivity of 105-Db. Can the Hugo's amp section handle this?

Aug 10, 2014 at 1:23 AM Post #7,391 of 15,694

thx mate, much appreciated. yeah i like my goth/dark wave stuff as well and assumed the lcd x will be good (i was listening to dead can dance sacd earlier today and just fantastic). Like you i dont like my music to loud. re lcd 2, LCD2 need high current which im not sure the hugo and deliver. i've never heard a portable amp and ive tried a few drive them like the soloist or the v200 which are a few mid tier amps. again, i haven't heard the lcd 2 with the hugo but if i go on whats been said in the last few pages of this thread i dont think its a good match. cheers

Very nice, my friend, Dead Can Dance.  Can't say I have any of their SACD but I have plenty of their promo videos along with live selections.  Promo videos is my time consuming passion.  Guess that make me a videophile just as much as an audio. 
redface.gif

Don't know of many dark Australian bands.   The Church are probably the closest to darkwave in their early days.  But after seeing them rock out a couple times I can never view them as dark anymore.  Wow, what a band, probably one of the greatest live rock shows I ever seen in the 80's.

Aug 10, 2014 at 1:39 AM Post #7,392 of 15,694
Of late I have been listening to Hugo and B&O H6 on the go and Sennheiser HD800 at home. It really makes both of those headphones shine no matter what I throw at them. My experience with both those headphones have been that they are very alike and very picky with the components attached to them. Hugo has been fantastic with them. I got an analytical ear and always gravitated towards components that make the music sound analytical. Hugo is NOT analytical and may be this is the first non-analytical component I fell in love with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back