Chord Hugo
Aug 22, 2015 at 6:21 PM Post #11,716 of 15,694
the first 'Hugo-TT Tour' review has been posted by Head-Fier LFC_SL, great read and a thorough comparison with the Hugo, enjoy...
normal_smile%20.gif

Link: http://www.head-fi.org/products/chord-hugo-tt/reviews/13822

Aug 23, 2015 at 8:20 AM Post #11,718 of 15,694
I only noticed 846 hiss with HUGO after it was mentioned. And to me, its so slight that I would never hear it with even the softest music playing.

I will need to try some of them first. My ears are not young and so I may well have a greater tolerance through natural inability to hear hiss but I will need to check each kind with no music playing - that is the key test for me which will need to be passed.

Aug 23, 2015 at 9:42 AM Post #11,719 of 15,694
After further review I have concluded that 846 through USB 384 hertz and 32 bit has incredibly low hiss through 846. When using I phone 46 16 bit I here some hiss, not that it bothers me one iota. Even the word hiss sounds extravagant, maybe a background hum is more on point. Granted there are some acute ears out there that may have an alternate opinion, but I wouldn't let that stop someone from buying 846 because of it, or if they have 846, the Hugo.

Aug 23, 2015 at 6:04 PM Post #11,720 of 15,694
I have the 846 and the Hugo and have never had an issue with hiss and I am very sensitive to it in fact.

Aug 23, 2015 at 6:33 PM Post #11,721 of 15,694
I only noticed 846 hiss with HUGO after it was mentioned. And to me, its so slight that I would never hear it with even the softest music playing.

I should qualify i have been using in-ears and isolating monitors since my mid-teens. Since before joining head-fi. As such my hearing is on the more sensitive side. Long timer members may notice i frequently report my amazement at how loud people listen at shows and meets.

To illustrate this further, most of the headphone testing for the Hugo and Hugo TT comparison was done in the first red colour zone. With the Grado GS1000e it was occasionally necessary to move up to green, but this was album specific. My most difficult to drive headphone is the Sennheiser HD600 was in the second green/turquoise zone. I have no idea what other colours exist on the Hugo volume dial :D

Aug 23, 2015 at 7:05 PM Post #11,722 of 15,694
I get a hiss on my Westone UM Pro 30s, can't really tell once the music is playing though unless is is a really quiet part of the track, they more than make up for it though. Really pleased with how they sound from the Hugo.

Don't think I have taken the Hugo past the orange volume setting yet, not on purpose anyway, almost had a heart attack the other day when I just switched it on with the headphones on and music already playing, Roon switched the source to the Hugo automatically and almost blew my head off!

Aug 23, 2015 at 7:10 PM Post #11,723 of 15,694
I'll be calling my supplier and ask for a replacement power supply. Hopefully this is the only thing wrong with it.

Aug 24, 2015 at 3:13 PM Post #11,724 of 15,694
 ​
 ​
 ​

CanJam London
 ​
Date: Saturday 29th - Sunday 30th
 ​
Venue: Hotel Russell
Russell Square, London WC1
 ​
Nearest  Tube: Russell Square (Piccadilly-Line)
 ​
Chord Electronics is a proud Sponsor of the inaugural
CanJam-London Event
 ​
We will have the Chord Hugo, Chord Hugo-TT & Chord 2Qute on display with Headphones from Beyerdynamic, Grado Labs, Rhapsodio & Dita Audio
 ​
John Franks & Rob Watts will be in attendance along with the team from Chord Electronics.
 ​
 ​

Aug 24, 2015 at 7:20 PM Post #11,725 of 15,694
For anyone interested, I'm selling my Audioquest VODKA Optical cable 1.5M that I used with Hugo. As you guys know, due to optical port size of Hugo I shaved off the base on one end. Does not effect performance in any way.

Retailed for 250.00 at the time I purchased, selling for 135.00 -

Has great synergy with Hugo. Please PM. Thanks.

Aug 25, 2015 at 4:14 AM Post #11,727 of 15,694

​
 ​
 ​

CanJam London
 ​
Date: Saturday 29th - Sunday 30th
 ​
Venue: Hotel Russell
Russell Square, London WC1
 ​
Nearest  Tube: Russell Square (Piccadilly-Line)
 ​
Chord Electronics is a proud Sponsor of the inaugural
CanJam-London Event
 ​
We will have the Chord Hugo, Chord Hugo-TT & Chord 2Qute on display with Headphones from Beyerdynamic, Grado Labs, Rhapsodio & Dita Audio
 ​
John Franks & Rob Watts will be in attendance along with the team from Chord Electronics.
 ​
 ​

DAVE will not be here to listen ? :frowning2:

Aug 25, 2015 at 5:20 AM Post #11,728 of 15,694
Remember the Hugo TT and DAVE is more about Chord making noise (pardon the pun) about driving big home audio systems. The DAVE just happens to retain a headphone jack. It therefore makes perfect sense the DAVE will appear at the National Audio Show UK (per previous post). Whilst there is a 'headzone', the majority of the floor space is dedicated to speaker systems

Aug 25, 2015 at 9:36 AM Post #11,729 of 15,694
I wish European governments will buy the Hugo for all schools as a part of education program.  A few devices per class with a free digital music library.
People should become used to a good sound from young age. This will make the world better.

Aug 25, 2015 at 10:13 AM Post #11,730 of 15,694
  I wish European governments will buy the Hugo for all schools as a part of education program.  A few devices per class with a free digital music library.
People should become used to a good sound from young age. This will make the world better.

That will make the world a lot worse. Greece is making things bad enough already. :p
Just sayin'

Users who are viewing this thread

Back