Chord Hugo
Oct 31, 2014 at 1:26 PM Post #8,687 of 15,694
was listening DSD files through Hugo and foobar. dsd sounds very very clean. some impressions for DSD vs pcm. DSD is kind of stay there sort of presentation, very quiet . pcm on the other hand is more energetic and lively. difference is very subtle though. I think it is some thing to do with the nature of pcm vs DSD. DSD has more samples of less resolution while pcm has better resolution albeit with less samples.

Nov 1, 2014 at 1:59 AM Post #8,690 of 15,694
I'd appreciate some feedback from anyone who is using their Hugo exclusively from a USB 3 port on a laptop or desktop - am having some fun and games with my current generation Mac and several of my USB DACs. Funny thing is that I recall the Hugo worked from the USB 3 port on my - now departed - Windowa 8.1 laptop. 

Nov 1, 2014 at 2:11 AM Post #8,691 of 15,694
The USB 3 ports on my 2012 MB Air and last-year's iMac 27" seem to work fine. They do have a bit of a reputation for being flakey though with USB2 devices. Maybe because of all the electronics on my desk, a couple of devices didn't work with sync or transfer if I used regular, cheap cables. I had to use my Black Dragon USB cable direct into a machine and away from other devices.

Nov 1, 2014 at 2:41 AM Post #8,692 of 15,694
  I'd appreciate some feedback from anyone who is using their Hugo exclusively from a USB 3 port on a laptop or desktop - am having some fun and games with my current generation Mac and several of my USB DACs. Funny thing is that I recall the Hugo worked from the USB 3 port on my - now departed - Windowa 8.1 laptop. 

I experimented with my desktop and found a somewhat more grounded sound from the USB3 port. I went back and forth from usb2 to 3 and liked the 3 better. I don't think it was my imagination, but I can't be sure. So the USB 3 port is where it stays permanently.

Nov 1, 2014 at 3:26 AM Post #8,693 of 15,694

I am using a MacBook Pro 15 using the RHS usb 3 port with no issues with Hugo

Nov 1, 2014 at 4:55 AM Post #8,694 of 15,694
I experimented with my desktop and found a somewhat more grounded sound from the USB3 port. I went back and forth from usb2 to 3 and liked the 3 better. I don't think it was my imagination, but I can't be sure. So the USB 3 port is where it stays permanently.

I also had done that and found USB 3 sound blurry and a bit brighter than USB 2. So I googled and found out why -- USB 3 produces more noise than USB 2.

Nov 1, 2014 at 5:53 AM Post #8,695 of 15,694
Thanks guys - went back to a generic printer cable and no problems thus far this afternoon. Looks like it may have been the Audioquest Cinnamon or some combination of that and my iFi stack - depressing if throwing more money at my USB connection actually nets me more problems ...... 

Nov 1, 2014 at 6:36 AM Post #8,697 of 15,694

iFi stack?

iUSBPower and these :

http://ifi-audio.com/products/accessory/

and this:

http://ifi-audio.com/portfolio-view/nano-idsd/

plug a Monster coax cable into the coax-out on the iDSD and you have a very effective - and cheap - USB-SPDIF converter. 

Nov 1, 2014 at 6:37 AM Post #8,698 of 15,694

iUSBPower and these :

http://ifi-audio.com/products/accessory/

and this:

http://ifi-audio.com/portfolio-view/nano-idsd/

plug a Monster coax cable into the coax-out on the iDSD and you have a very effective - and cheap - USB-SPDIF converter. 

Ahh, got cha. Do you find that an improvement over the Hugo's USB input?

Nov 1, 2014 at 11:12 AM Post #8,700 of 15,694

Ahh, got cha. Do you find that an improvement over the Hugo's USB input?

Absolutely, but it's not just the Hugo - all my DACs benefit from the stack. The big problem with the Hugo is that they went with the micro-USB input, but taking coax out of the nano completely removes the need for that cable. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back