Chord Hugo
Jun 12, 2014 at 7:39 PM Post #4,696 of 15,694
As my explaining stinks and this is all about opinions anyway , however you have a mytek right , a direct stream right . And any ore dac you have. . Are you saying the overall tone is the same . I am not claiming to know bright from dull . But I do claim to know the music I listen too. And when I hear voices and instruments sound at a almost another octave higher this makes me think it's bright. My wording portrays me in the wrong manner .
As I know you have these dacs do a simple listen and tell me they voice the same as Hugo. As it is much more
Directly with headphones , but it is still there even if using another amp. I tested my theory with all of the devices in the picture and the mytek that was not. All of them sound about the same and then the Hugo alone in it's presentation . But this is all just conjecture anyway.
Al

Going from a Tube like the Lampizator 7 or a DS that is being known to have a very "relaxed" sound, I can see why you said it sounds a bit bright.

Jun 12, 2014 at 7:41 PM Post #4,697 of 15,694
Hahaha I do not even own one yet. This is really funny.
Al

Jun 12, 2014 at 7:44 PM Post #4,698 of 15,694
It was about the structural strength of the case chord wanted to make it very strong and to protect the connectors and the headphone plugs too if it was dropped all their products are built to last this way look up QBD Dac being driven over by a Russian t54 tank it's amazing.

For me the inherent strength of the Hugo "ain't" a QDB by a long shot. If I were to design a pricy product such as the Hugo, I'd "wrap" the aluminum case with two slabs of G-10 textured material top and bottom; the two slabs fixed by two G-10 side panels through which six screws tighten the entire box down, penetrating the plates on top and bottom; providing rigidity and bulletproof armor for on-the-road ecstasy.  Check out how it can be applied...for the Hugo just cut out the windows and volume wheel - top and bottom for the ports are left open. Variations on a Theme by Paganini:

vz_grips_1911_g10_iphone_back_plate.jpeg

f2c3d7efa03840fdbeaf2834b57cd5a8.jpg

20131108090411_11238.jpg

ip4_sli_g10_01_bk_2__1.jpg

Jun 12, 2014 at 7:55 PM Post #4,699 of 15,694

Ok. I think it's time for some impressions. I have been listening to the Hugo for almost 20 hours since yesterday... and yes, world cup didn't even stop me.
redface.gif

First off, many thanks to Hugo and specially to Paul (maybe Mython too ;p) for letting demo this amazing piece of product. Really appreciated because I wished to listen to it long time ago.

In short, this is hands down one of best sounding DAC/AMPs I have ever heard. It really brings every single pair of my CIEMs to another level (there is no hiss for any of my CIEMs). The build quality is top class too.

Bass: very flat, well extended with super depth and control. Mython was right, the impact of the bass is crazy! it can surely make me feel the earthquake like bass line when paired with my K10, Roxanne, SE5, and even the NT6.  The rumble is so great without going over. I guess this might the advantage of using solid state-amp, so the bass feels really tight and solid. My K10 sometimes have slow bass which is a little uncontrolled on other portable sources, however I think Hugo almost solves this problem by providing a slightly quicker bass note.

Mid: very neutral and smooth. The vocal placement is actually a little more distant than neutral to my ears, but only very little maybe ~3-5%.  This resulted in a greater sense depth and space, making the vocals very smooth and evolving (and not in your face). I remember seeing someone mentioned that female vocals are incredible on Hugo, this is so true, but the male vocals are not lacking at all. I really can't stop playing all my favorite vocal songs with my SE5. It's really so far the best combo I have ever heard, period! 

Treble: very smooth and extended (obviously). I am actually with "Al" with this one, it's on the north of the spectrum, but I wouldn't call it bright, just super clear and clean. The treble combines with the mid and bass so effortlessly that it provide one of the most lively, dynamic and detailed sounding I have ever heard. The instruments are not only very clean, clear and layered, but also soooo separated.  I can really hear every single one playing on its own. The detail level is insane, the music is presented in such a clean and transparent way, that I don't even need to turn up the volume like I did for other sources. I am perfectly satisfied with low-medium volume on Hugo. And also, the soundstage.... is really big!!! It really make my SE5 about 20% more spacious compared to my Anedio D2, which really surprised me. Hugo has also brought back the magic of K10 that has been missing since the Bristol show! 

Overall I was truly amazed by how this small Dac/amp can produce such BIG, desktop-source level sound! It's very neutral with a touch of lively sound, and IMO all the portable sources I have used (DX100, 901, zx1, ak120 and etc) have troubles keeping up with it. I think Hugo pairs flawlessly with IEMs that are neutral or on the warmer side of neutral. You might get a sense of brightness if you pair with bright IEMs (specially with lifted lower-mid treble regions), but you still can not deny its technical ability and smoothness!! 

I think I am VERY close to ordering one myself!!!! 
Will update if I have more useful impressions. Now getting back to the Hugo!
gs1000.gif

Jun 12, 2014 at 8:22 PM Post #4,700 of 15,694

Ok. I think it's time for some impressions. I have been listening to the Hugo for almost 20 hours since yesterday... and yes, world cup didn't even stop me.:xf_eek:

First off, many thanks to Hugo and specially to Paul (maybe Mython too ;p) for letting demo this amazing piece of product. Really appreciated because I wished to listen to it long time ago.

In short, this is hands down one of best sounding DAC/AMPs I have ever heard. It really brings every single pair of my CIEMs to another level (there is no hiss for any of my CIEMs). The build quality is top class too.

Bass: very flat, well extended with super depth and control. Mython was right, the impact of the bass is crazy! it can surely make me feel the earthquake like bass line when paired with my K10, Roxanne, SE5, and even the NT6.  The rumble is so great without going over. I guess this might the advantage of using solid state-amp. The bass feels really tight and solid. My K10 sometimes have slow bass which is a little uncontrolled on other portable sources, however I think Hugo solves this problem by providing a slightly quicker bass note.

Mid: very neutral and smooth. The vocal placement is actually a little more distant than neutral to my ears, but only very little maybe ~3-5%.  This resulted in a greater sense depth and space, making the vocals very smooth and evolving (and not in your face). I remember seeing someone mentioned that female vocals are incredible on Hugo, this is so true, but the male vocals are not lacking at all. I really can't stop playing all my favorite vocal songs with my SE5. It's really so far the best combo I have ever heard, period! 

Treble: very smooth and extended (obviously). I am actually with "Al" with this one, it's on the north of the spectrum, but I wouldn't call it bright, just super clear and clean. The treble combines with the mid and bass so effortlessly that it provide one of the most lively, dynamic and detailed sounding I have ever heard. The instruments are not only very clean, clear and layered, but also soooo separated.  I can really hear every single one playing on its own. The detail level is insane, the music is presented in such a clean and transparent way, that I don't even need to turn up the volume like I did for other sources. I am perfectly satisfied with low-medium volume on Hugo. And also, the soundstage.... is really big!!! It really make my SE5 about 20% more spacious compared to my Anedio D2, which really surprised me. Hugo has also brought back the magic of K10 that has been missing since the Bristol show! 

Overall I was truly amazed by how this small Dac/amp can produce such BIG, desktop-source level sound! It's very neutral with a touch of lively sound, and IMO all the portable sources I have used (DX100, 901, zx1, ak120 and etc) have troubles keeping up with it. I think Hugo pairs flawlessly with CIEMs that are neutral or on the warmer side of neutral. You might get a sense of brightness if you pair with bright CIEMs (specially with lifted lower-mid treble regions), but you still can not deny its technical ability and smoothness!! 

I think I am VERY close to ordering one myself!!!! 
Will update if I have more useful impressions. Now getting back to the Hugo!:gs1000smile:  

Nice review, Hopefully you'll get the 8 pro, while you still have the Hugo.

Jun 12, 2014 at 8:27 PM Post #4,702 of 15,694
Jun 12, 2014 at 8:35 PM Post #4,703 of 15,694

Got only one feedback from nOtEcH saying that he never experienced any hang-up.  It hapend to me 1 time per month !

-->   Am I the only one ?  Is my HUGO defective ??

It happened to mine once. In the beginning, maybe after the 3rd or 4th day but never again. I think it was when I connected my headphones into one socket, took them out and put them in the other one. For some reason it cause the Hugo to go quiet, like a protective circuit. I had to shut it down and restart but it hasn't occurred again. 

Jun 12, 2014 at 8:44 PM Post #4,705 of 15,694
I believe this is the battery used in Hugo and u need two of these
http://www.allbatteries.co.uk/enix-700001-1s1p-icr-18650-gp-2-2-3-75-v-2-2-ah-li-ion-battery-pack-mgl2811.html

Jun 12, 2014 at 8:53 PM Post #4,707 of 15,694
James Taylor's laidback album 'Hourglass' (16/44.1) also sound superb on the Hugo.

You might also like Ruth Moody's 'In The Garden'

And don't forget Van Morrison's 'Enlightenment', 'Poetic Champions Compose', 'Avalon Sunset', 'The Healing Game', 'Back On Top' etc. These all sound decent, even in humble 16/44.1

Thanks! Will go and get them ASAP.

Jun 12, 2014 at 8:54 PM Post #4,708 of 15,694
For George Michael Symphonica,
I found the high res rips from Pure Audio Blu-ray Audio better than the flac rip from CD (I tried, since quite a number prefer low res over high res feed to hugo).

Damn! I didn't see that. Just ordered the CD. Have to return it now...

Jun 12, 2014 at 9:02 PM Post #4,710 of 15,694
My Hugo was just delivered!  However, I'm unable to get optical to work from my AK240 using the included 3.5mm to TOSlink optical cable.  Any suggestions?

Until that one's figured out, I'm using coaxial from my DX90.  Works well and the Hugo drives my HD800's even a very low volume.  However, the coaxial connection is very loose - even using the included coaxial adapter.  It's very easy to lose the connection with a little movement.  How tight do other folks find their coax connection?

Order the specific Hugo to AK240 optical connector from sysconcept. It works very well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back