Chord Hugo
Jun 11, 2014 at 1:26 PM Post #4,472 of 15,694
All the comparison of one dac to this dac. While not so easy and yet it is, if you listen to very much live music, compare the sound and intensity to the overall feeling of live music. Which comes closer? I tend to listen to sounds, all sorts of sounds. Hear the sounds of live acoustical and mentally take notes.  Why compare reproduced to reproduced when you are trying to compare to real? Compare each to real and then how do they stack up?

Jun 11, 2014 at 1:26 PM Post #4,473 of 15,694
  Sorry, noob here when it comes to digital music but how does the iPhone store DSD music? I thot iTunes quality music was limited to lossy files or at best WAV? Appreciate the guidance..

You use Onkyo app, that is how you play DSD files on iphone, ipod touch.

http://www.intl.onkyo.com/downloads/applications/hf_player.html

Jun 11, 2014 at 1:33 PM Post #4,477 of 15,694
Onkyo hf And you add the files to there folder as it appears in the in iTunes when the device is connected. I have no music in my iTunes just in the onkyo fdlder
Al

Jun 11, 2014 at 1:33 PM Post #4,478 of 15,694

He may be comparing the Ayre to the older Chord DACs in the QB-9 DSD review, but you're incorrect about there being no comparison between the Hugo and QB-9 DSD.  

Moreover, you don't have to "read between the lines" since this is right from the Hugo review -  

Overall, I'd describe Hugo's sound as delicate and detailed with a very nice sense of fine-grained resolution and clarity that doesn't strip music of its timbral richness. You feel as if you're hearing everything the recording has to offer. That said, compared to the review Ayre QB-9 DSD, Hugo does sound more light weight, with less apparent body to the presentation. The Ayre DAC sounds bigger and beefier compared to Hugo's more nimble and quick sound. In terms of personal preference, I lean toward the Ayre which comes across as richer and more engaging but I can see how other listeners would prefer the Hugo's more sprightly sound. Of course you cannot take the Ayre on the road and it does not have a headphone amp or Bluetooth input capability.

Associated Equipment
Also on hand and in use during the Hugo review; Ayre QB-9 DSD

Audiostream prefers the Ayre and you think the Hugo is better, that's cool. 

If folks reading this thread are interested, they should go listen to both and decide for themselves.

I'm eventually going to do that and if the Hugo is better to my ears, the Ayre will go.  NBD

OK, let's take it once again, from another angle. Audiostream rated the HUGO in the same class as the $450 Halide. Does that tell you anything? I mean, anything at all? And the Benchmark. Does that say anything at all? Can you now take anything they say seriously? You can?

Maybe, YOU, can. I don't.

Jun 11, 2014 at 1:41 PM Post #4,479 of 15,694
I feel a ban or thread lock coming.
You cannot berate the sacred cow of finance

Lmao. Anyone who just uses IEMS can only hear so much
The DAC must be heard with speakers and headphones
It's fine to me with my CIEMS. I am willing to bet the Hugo and ak240 are not that far apart either
With them.
Al

Jun 11, 2014 at 1:41 PM Post #4,480 of 15,694

AGB100, I feel like I keep calling you out and that isn't my intention so I'll apologize in advance if you feel that way.  BUT your statement above is basically false as your key fact is wrong.
" I interpret the statement to refer to a rock solid soundstage and not something frequency/EQ related.  I can't find any other statements that seem to refer to weight or darkness of the sound.  
Just as an overall statement, Lavorgna is a highly respected reviewer with a proven track record of having "golden ears."  It is not to say he doesn't have his biases and obviously the his review is his opinion.  But I think we should have enough respect to take him at his word and meaning, and not try to reinterpret his statements to suit our own biases/opinions.  Personally, I am fine with his review of the Chord and resulting ranking as Class B.  I'll wait to see how the Chord desktop DAC turns out and, plus, I didn't notice any other DACs on the Class A, and Class B, for that matter, that I care to lug around with me aside from the Hugo which makes it unique.

Before I repeat my answer to another gent on this thread, possibly I was a reviewer of high end audio gear before Lavorgna purchased his first high end system. Second, I mean no disrespect to anyone here or at his site. My answer however is unwavering:

"OK, let's take it once again, from another angle. Audiostream rated the HUGO in the same class as the $450 Halide. Does that tell you anything? I mean, anything at all? And the Benchmark. Does that say anything at all? Can you now take anything they say seriously? You can?

Maybe, YOU, can. I don't."

If you actually believe that the Hugo is in the same class or design sophistication and has more or less the same sound quality as the Halide, I guess we can simply drop praising the first, for it certainly deserves no praise. In fact, given that classification, it deserves no listen but only a FOR SALE ad at Audiogon.

Given that I wholly do not agree with Lavorgna's ratings - which are plain wrong from the get go - I will go on listening to the Hugo while he can go on listening to the Halide and Benchmark with more or less the same satisfaction.

Jun 11, 2014 at 1:49 PM Post #4,482 of 15,694

That is not true.  Ayre went to the ES9016 as it let them control an aspect of the conversion process they wanted to which was to implement a Minimum Phase Apodizing filter.  Obviously, Chord has more control over the entire process than Ayre with a pretty much a completely customized solution, but to say Ayre is not customizing their solution is not correct.  Also, remember not all SABRE chips are created equal and vary fairly significantly in performance so say it is same chip as cheap dacs is not correct.

All SABRE dac chips are relatively inexpensive. So are its competitors. A commercial DAC component uses off the shelf dac chips because the application notes supplied by their manufacturers make it easy to design and assemble a DAC. One can even order complete dac assemblies requiring minimal support from surrounding regulation and power supplies.

Jun 11, 2014 at 1:52 PM Post #4,483 of 15,694
  It may be a little unnerving, but it's safe! The battery charger senses the battery voltage. If the batteries are fully depleted, then you need to charge with very low currents, a current level that is not enough to turn on the FPGA, so it takes some time to get its initial charge. Once the battery voltage is at a safe level, it will go into full charge mode, which is enough to power Hugo and charge the battery.

If it flashes red at you, turn off the unit, then re-charge, then it will not further deplete the batteries and you are good to go as soon as you start re-charging.

Rob

Thanks Mr. Watts, I understand.

Jun 11, 2014 at 1:56 PM Post #4,484 of 15,694
Just short while back android was ahead of apple in the hi Rez audio game. As apple only had 24/48 now apple is dsd and down and android is stuck on stupid. There must be little to no money in this for android .
If I can stream to my msb dac or direct stream from an iPad at dsd 128 and below why are we not doing it. I am going to check this out tonight if it works I cannot wait to post it many forums as a suitable transport method
Al

Some android phones are ahead of Apple just like before.  Apple products still can just play 16/48 while certain Android phones support much higher resolution.  What you are seeing is a third party (Onkyo) has made a separate app to stream DSD natively by avoiding what the Apple device's DAC and software.  The current ability by Apple devices to avoid its own capabilities doesn't mean it is ahead of Android as natively there are many Android devices that are much more capable than Apple.  On the Android, it shouldn't be difficult for an app to ignore the device's DAC (as Android puts less barriers up) and stream out bits (DSD or otherwise) natively to outside DAC as many Android phones have the correct hardware to do so.  Someone will update their Android music player to include DSD soon as there are Android music players that currently avoid the device's DAC and stream bits natively to outside DACs.

I think are seeing the Apple currently ahead of the Android in what it is currently able to do with outside hardware/software for two reasons.  One, Apple has larger base of users using it as music player given Apple's lead time and history as a music player.  Android's fragmented market means an app producer has to worry about the fact that a native DSD streaming feature would only work on certain Android devices etc.  Android and more recent Apple product users seem to be using streaming services such as Spotify or music in the cloud storage more than anything else.  Makes it hard for us "dinosaurs" who want our music pure and in high rez.  However, in spite of all that, I think you will see an Android app do so in near future.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back