Chord Hugo
Jun 11, 2014 at 9:43 AM Post #4,441 of 15,694

Thanks for the link. Just what I needed!
bigsmile_face.gif

You need to read between the lines. The review of the AYRE stated this: "In my experience, very few DACs convey this same sense of sonic roundness with PCM data. The Chord DACs do to some extent, the totaldac did, as well as a few others all costing considerably more than the Ayre QB-9 DSD. While this obviously isn't the only thing to talk about with the QB-9 DSD, it is to my ears what truly sets it apart. Sounds ring out true from a distinct place and they stay put making it very easy to feel the physical presence of the performers, in situ. In freakin' room..."

In other words, "it is to my ears what truly sets it apart." The weighty sound that is.

NOTE: The reviewer compared the latest DSD AYRE with EARLIER Chord DACS. According to the reviewer the AYRE almost reached the sonic plateau of EARLIER Chord DACS.

Personally I doubt it, but then other DAC makers assert similar nonsense.

The HUGO is a later and better design that owners of earlier Chord DACs are aware of and can hear; the Hugo's designer keeps asserting the same since he designed all of them.

I cannot speak for Lavorgna. It is clear however that in light of his own words the Hugo is superior to BOTH the AYRE and Chord's own earlier DACs.

It happens to be so unless one is resistant to logic and fact itself.

Besides, as I had shown earlier, the Hugo can be EQ'd to mimic the weighty sound of other DACs without the loss of detail and dimension the others will surely have if listened through a reference-grade system.

Jun 11, 2014 at 9:44 AM Post #4,442 of 15,694
  It does have a SABRE chip in it but, as I understand it, Ayre is also using FPGA to get the sound they want out of the chip.  Linn does the same thing in their DS players - uses FPGA in addition to a chip.

The FPGA does not have any role in the conversion processing. The SABRE that you'll find in cheap dacs does all the conversion. Same as in the PONO.

I didn't say that the FPGA does the conversion.  I can't speak for how Ayre uses FPGA, but Linn explains how they use it here: http://docs.linn.co.uk/wiki/index.php/Up-sampling

Jun 11, 2014 at 9:50 AM Post #4,443 of 15,694
  Never experienced that. I guess that Chord knows if you provided them your serial number.
Mine is serial number 209xx and as I said I have never experience anything like what you are describing. 

I had. It shut down after battery drain and would not boot until a time on charge. Initially connected to the AC it would not light up. Eventually, I assume some charge to the battery, it lit up. A little unnerving.

Jun 11, 2014 at 9:53 AM Post #4,444 of 15,694
  I noticed the same. But people in here that has heard both the AURALiC Vega and the Hugo, prefers the Hugo. The Vega is impressive in a way but it is said to give you listening fatigue.

I have not heard the Vega and can't say much other than that I would prefer a device that is impressive in the long run.

The VEGA and AYRE are very comparable and Lavorgna lists them as comparable. Those who have compared agree with notech's statement above. That, is a consensus. In this rare case I agree with the consensus.

Jun 11, 2014 at 10:03 AM Post #4,445 of 15,694

The VEGA and AYRE are very comparable and Lavorgna lists them as comparable. Those who have compared agree to notech's statement above. That, is a consensus. In this rare case I agree with the consensus.

I would consider the Ayre QB9 (I assume) more musical than the Vega but I guess they are in similar price/performance "brackets".

Jun 11, 2014 at 10:08 AM Post #4,446 of 15,694

I didn't say that the FPGA does the conversion.  I can't speak for how Ayre uses FPGA, but Linn explains how they use it here: http://docs.linn.co.uk/wiki/index.php/Up-sampling

I didn't make references to LINN. It too does not use the FPGA for conversion.

LINN: "All Linn DS products share the same custom-designed up-sampling engine, implemented in a Xilinx Virtex-4 FPGA. The up-sampler takes digital audio at any of the supported sample rates and up-samples it to a constant rate of 352.8kHz or 384kHz. This allows the up-sampling filters in the third party DAC to be bypassed, thus removing a potential source of noise and signal distortion."

In other words, LINN too, uses a THIRD PARTY dac chip of whatever make that does the conversion itself, limited in resolution, FIR, noise and whatever the third party dac chip is able to do.

A third party dac chip - what almost every DAC maker employs - is the easy, convenient and cheap way to get around creating a proprietary conversion design, the lazy man's way of building skyscrapers. It is the path of less-talented designers who have little understanding of the conversion process and an inability to get to a higher level of design.

I mean this to be blunt about it: Most DAC designers don't come out of a microwave, digital or aerospace design background, but from an analog background. Many believe that analog is the standard and have no confidence in the fact that it is not. That is the problem at the core. These guys self-limit their own designs for both a lack of skill and knowledge and a basic misunderstanding of digital's potential. That potential is theoretically limitless and DSP is where the future is.

Jun 11, 2014 at 10:11 AM Post #4,447 of 15,694

You need to read between the lines. The review of the AYRE stated this: "In my experience, very few DACs convey this same sense of sonic roundness with PCM data. The Chord DACs do to some extent, the totaldac did, as well as a few others all costing considerably more than the Ayre QB-9 DSD. While this obviously isn't the only thing to talk about with the QB-9 DSD, it is to my ears what truly sets it apart. Sounds ring out true from a distinct place and they stay put making it very easy to feel the physical presence of the performers, in situ. In freakin' room..."

NOTE: The reviewer compared the latest DSD AYRE with EARLIER Chord DACS. According to the reviewer the AYRE almost reached the sonic plateau of EARLIER Chord DACS.

Personally I doubt it, but then other DAC makers assert similar nonsense.

The HUGO is a later and better design that owners of earlier Chord DACs are aware of and can hear.

Consequently, I cannot speak for Lavorgna, it is clear however that in light of his own words the Hugo is superior to BOTH the AYRE and Chord's own earlier DACs.

It happens to be so unless one is resistant to logic itself.

Besides, as I had shown earlier, the Hugo can be EQ'd to mimic the weighty sound of other DACs without the loss of detail and dimension the others will surely have on a reference-grade system.

He may be comparing the Ayre to the older Chord DACs in the QB-9 DSD review, but you're incorrect about there being no comparison between the Hugo and QB-9 DSD.  

Moreover, you don't have to "read between the lines" since this is right from the Hugo review -  

Overall, I'd describe Hugo's sound as delicate and detailed with a very nice sense of fine-grained resolution and clarity that doesn't strip music of its timbral richness. You feel as if you're hearing everything the recording has to offer. That said, compared to the review Ayre QB-9 DSD, Hugo does sound more light weight, with less apparent body to the presentation. The Ayre DAC sounds bigger and beefier compared to Hugo's more nimble and quick sound. In terms of personal preference, I lean toward the Ayre which comes across as richer and more engaging but I can see how other listeners would prefer the Hugo's more sprightly sound. Of course you cannot take the Ayre on the road and it does not have a headphone amp or Bluetooth input capability.

Associated Equipment
Also on hand and in use during the Hugo review; Ayre QB-9 DSD

Audiostream prefers the Ayre and you think the Hugo is better, that's cool. 

If folks reading this thread are interested, they should go listen to both and decide for themselves.

I'm eventually going to do that and if the Hugo is better to my ears, the Ayre will go.  NBD

Jun 11, 2014 at 10:11 AM Post #4,448 of 15,694
For those using the Hugo on the desktop (non-portable), are you using a separate amp, or using the Hugo amp?
How does using the Hugo's amp directly vs. a separate amp sound?
(I'm thinking of using it with Oppo PM1s, Fostex TH900s, HD800s, LCD3s.)

Also, do you use the Hugo's volume control or use your computer for this? Is the Hugo's volume control easy to use?
Thank you again.

Jun 11, 2014 at 10:13 AM Post #4,449 of 15,694

I didn't make references to LINN. It too does not use the FPGA for conversion.

LINN: "All Linn DS products share the same custom-designed up-sampling engine, implemented in a Xilinx Virtex-4 FPGA. The up-sampler takes digital audio at any of the supported sample rates and up-samples it to a constant rate of 352.8kHz or 384kHz. This allows the up-sampling filters in the third party DAC to be bypassed, thus removing a potential source of noise and signal distortion."

In other words, LINN too, uses a THIRD PARTY dac chip of whatever make that does the conversion itself, limited in resolution, FIR, noise and whatever the third party dac chip is able to do.

Using a third party dac chip - what almost every DAC maker does - is the easy and cheap way to get around things, the lazy man's way of building a skyscraper. It is the path of designers who have little understanding of the conversion process and an inability to get to a higher level of design.

again, I never said either Ayre or Linn use FPGA for conversion.  you need to quit jumping to conclusions.

Jun 11, 2014 at 10:57 AM Post #4,450 of 15,694
Thanks
I feel that it is something I need to do.
Not sure how to get the DSD out of the ak240
I have hi end coax and optical spidif

I also have balance cables for the headphones regarding the ak240
Is there any adaptor I need to do balance out from the ak240
??

If you have the latest firmware, AK240 will output DSD to Hugo via optical. Personally, I find the AK240 and Hugo complement each other well.

They sound fantastic!

Jun 11, 2014 at 11:09 AM Post #4,451 of 15,694

I had. It shut down after battery drain and would not boot until a time on charge. Initially connected to the AC it would not light up. Eventually, I assume some charge to the battery, it lit up. A little unnerving.

It may be a little unnerving, but it's safe! The battery charger senses the battery voltage. If the batteries are fully depleted, then you need to charge with very low currents, a current level that is not enough to turn on the FPGA, so it takes some time to get its initial charge. Once the battery voltage is at a safe level, it will go into full charge mode, which is enough to power Hugo and charge the battery.

If it flashes red at you, turn off the unit, then re-charge, then it will not further deplete the batteries and you are good to go as soon as you start re-charging.

Rob

Jun 11, 2014 at 11:09 AM Post #4,452 of 15,694
How does the Hugo fare with lowly 320 kbit ie Spotify premium?  Now that I am consulting out of client's offices I'm looking at Hugo as a transportable solution, fed out of DX90 and Macbook Pro (ALAC files on external HD and Spotify)

Jun 11, 2014 at 11:18 AM Post #4,453 of 15,694
If you have the latest firmware, AK240 will output DSD to Hugo via optical. Personally, I find the AK240 and Hugo complement each other well.

They sound fantastic!

AK240 converted DSD to PCM before output, can anyone confirm this?

Jun 11, 2014 at 11:33 AM Post #4,455 of 15,694
Ok I have the ak240. I'll post something as a comparison
If thus is ok. Not sure where to post it though.
Also I will connect it as transport and see about that as well.
Later.
Al

Users who are viewing this thread

Back