Chord Hugo
Jun 10, 2014 at 12:25 PM Post #4,366 of 15,694
64 gig is a lot of music to carry around. Once a week I rotate the music. I have about 7 TB of music so why do we fixate
On storage capacity .
Apple is the best player to use or one of the best. An iPod 64 is 400 where can you get a player of that quality for that price. No where. So just by the apple already hahahaha.
Al

Jun 10, 2014 at 12:27 PM Post #4,367 of 15,694
because its easier not to reload the player or the phone i  yur case. I dotn like to rotate besifdes I use my player and my phone is not an iphone buy a samsung galaxy 4 with 16GB storage so that why I like the ak 240. You like 64GB I like 256GB plus my ini cards.

Jun 10, 2014 at 12:34 PM Post #4,369 of 15,694
I also have a note 3 , it has removable chips and does 128 cards. But it does not play dsd as yet. . I know I am being pompus about wanting dsd. But it's my choice too. If inMplYing a dsd file inwantnthe light to be white it makes me feel better . I would very much like to hear the ak240. But it's a no go as player . I would not walk around with 5 k plus CIEM,s
As it is I am up to 4500 with CIEM,s. This hobby is just crazy and I as an individual am way out there .
Al

Jun 10, 2014 at 12:35 PM Post #4,370 of 15,694
What player does native dsd ??
Al

Your iphone, ipad, touch with Onkyo player can do DoP, stream native dsd to Hugo via CCK. Just make sure you enable the DoP function in Onkyo settings. I'm waiting for delivery of the just launched QLS360 which will also do DoP through coax. Hope to get it within 1 - 2 weeks.

Jun 10, 2014 at 12:38 PM Post #4,371 of 15,694
I am playing native dsd over dop with the iphone. The chord sounds very good. I just wish I would get to hers the ak240 . Although from what've read the hugo,is better.
I may go buy a ak240 to try out as long as it has a 30 days return .
Al

Jun 10, 2014 at 1:56 PM Post #4,373 of 15,694

Hmmm.... really?

Well, then, I guess Chord should be 'flattered'...
confused.gif
[/end sarcasm]

So why hasn't the so-called 'amazeballs' AK240 been moved here, too, then?

Either the AK240 isn't as 'amazeballs' as some are saying it is, or perhaps someone doesn't like Chord getting so much publicity in the Portable Source Gear thread?

The Hugo costs roughly 70% of the price of the AK240, yet the AK240 doesn't get moved?

I suspect that there is much less traffic in the High-end Audio forum than in the Portable Source Gear forum, so forgive me if I can't help contemplating if the reasons for the move might be more political than what you have stated, Cosmic, and by all means feel free to call me a cynic. The thread has been doing just fine, for a huge 290 pages, in the Portable Source Gear section, up until now, and I believe the relocation is unwarranted, unless, for reasons not made public, Chord have perhaps specifically requested it.

I'm not trying to rile anyone, here, least of all the moderators, but I feel it's legitimate to question this 'peculiar' thread relocation, when there was absolutely nothing wrong with the thread for the past 290 pages, in the Portable Source Gear forum.

You may wonder why.. I do too.. but anyway.. Hugo belongs in the Summit-Fi, High-end Audio forum as well as in the Portable Source Gear thread. And that is what the Hugo is.. a summit-fi high end portable device that makes you happy wherever you go. 
wink.gif

Jun 10, 2014 at 1:58 PM Post #4,374 of 15,694
Has anyone done a SQ comparison of the Hugo to the less expensive Schitt Gungnir/Mjolnir or comparable stack? Given that the Hugo is not very portable for me, the answer would be very relevant in my case in deciding the value of the Hugo given the form factor is irrelevant. I did search the thread and didn't find a good answer.

Jun 10, 2014 at 2:54 PM Post #4,375 of 15,694
Has anyone done a SQ comparison of the Hugo to the less expensive Schitt Gungnir/Mjolnir or comparable stack? Given that the Hugo is not very portable for me, the answer would be very relevant in my case in deciding the value of the Hugo given the form factor is irrelevant. I did search the thread and didn't find a good answer.

Also very interested in a compare between the M/G stack as that is what I have also. What would be the best [same size] source device to go with the Hugo? I had thought about the AK240 but it is also a dac which with the Hugo is just not needed. iPod touch or something similar? My iPhone is only 16 gB of which I have only around 12 gB available on it. Not enough storage. Which device is accepted to run as seamlessly and efficiently as possible with the Hugo is the question; best sound and simplicity of use. I have gone thru about two thirds of all the posts on thread and there are many devices mentioned but have not yet seen a consensus as to a "best fit" type of device overall yet.

Jun 10, 2014 at 3:01 PM Post #4,376 of 15,694

Also very interested in a compare between the M/G stack as that is what I have also. What would be the best [same size] source device to go with the Hugo? I had thought about the AK240 but it is also a dac which with the Hugo is just not needed. iPod touch or something similar? My iPhone is only 16 gB of which I have only around 12 gB available on it. Not enough storage. Which device is accepted to run as seamlessly and efficiently as possible with the Hugo is the question; best sound and simplicity of use. I have gone thru about two thirds of all the posts on thread and there are many devices mentioned but have not yet seen a consensus as to a "best fit" type of device overall yet.

I haven't seen any comparison either.
Regarding sources there are a lot of things to choose from, but none is like perfect. It depends a lot of how you would like to use the source. Me.. I like to watch movies as well as listening to music, and I am very happy with the iPad Mini Retina, as it has 128GB storage, can have a portable wireless hdd (I've got the 1TB Seagate Wireless Plus), and have a lot of options (apps) for streaming music, movies and series as well as the iTunes universe for the same (music, series and movies).

Jun 10, 2014 at 3:03 PM Post #4,377 of 15,694
I don't think the thread should have been moved and do not understand why it has. If high-end then the AK240, HM901, DX100 and a few others, regardless of price. But the portable source seems a great place for all of them. 

Jun 10, 2014 at 4:10 PM Post #4,379 of 15,694
I agree. Hugo is first and foremost a 'portable source gear'. I do not want to get involved either, but my thoughts do wander a bit and I am thinking that maybe . . . * c e n s o r e d * . . .
paranoia aside it does seem strange that Hugo has been pushed aside for being good enough as a mobile product to rival larger desktop systems. You'd think the mobile guys of headfi would have applauded that fact and not taken the view that Hugo belongs into be aligned with the high end products. I hope they reconsider this Hugo is a mobile unit for music wherever you go... It's in the name after all.....

Jun 10, 2014 at 4:23 PM Post #4,380 of 15,694
Here is my question. How are the Chord Hugo DAC sonics compared to those from companies that offer some DACs that are not crazy-expensive:
1. Schiit
2. Audio-GD
3. Ayre
4. Bryston
5. Bel Canto
6. Benchmark
7. PS Audio
8. Meridian
9. Grace
10. Antelope Zodiac
11. Musical Fidelity
12. Mytek