Chord Hugo
Jun 10, 2014 at 11:33 AM Post #4,351 of 15,694

The ZX1 is a beautiful product, but the instruction manual is in Japanese and it uses a proprietary connector you cannot replace in the US. What are your impressions, how does it sound, easy to load from iTunes?

You just opened a can of worms that I really think belongs in the ZX1 thread. Apparently the ZX1 doesnt measure very well, particularly in SNR making it highly unlikely that anyone is going to be able to realise the promise of 24-bit audio - its all in the thread - but my own ears tell me the ZX1 sounds great for a DAP. 

Jun 10, 2014 at 11:39 AM Post #4,352 of 15,694
Prices are all over the place on the Sony cable:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00FF086HE/ref=dp_olp_new_mbc?ie=UTF8&condition=new

Sony Australia carried this cable at one stage - or one very much like it - it would appear that it's now 'archived'. I'm going to try an adapter with the stock WM-Port USB cable - ticked off because I had a whole kit of USB adapters at one stage and every single one of them seems to have disappeared after working with a guy who was forever 'borrowing' various bits and pieces - lesson learnt. 

Jun 10, 2014 at 11:40 AM Post #4,353 of 15,694
  The miniaturization is amazing. Obviously. Yet there are smaller DACs, they're just not in the serious category.

Audioquest makes a 'dapter that will fit your USB to Hugo.
UK http://www.audiodestination.co.uk/audioquest-usb-b-tomicro-adaptor
US http://www.audioadvisor.com/Audioquest-USB-B-to-Micro-Adaptor/productinfo/AQUSBMIC%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20/

i want to buy that Audioquest USB B > Micro Adaptor
does anyone know where to buy it at Indonesia or Singapore.
i live in indonesia i can't find that adapter. i will go to singapore nextmonth anyone know the shop that sell this adapter
i dont want to buy online because indonesia import tax is very high (more than that adapter value)

Jun 10, 2014 at 11:52 AM Post #4,354 of 15,694
Im useing the iphone 5 I had left over its a 64 gig. I use the onkyo hf player it's really easy to,use . I have been using it for two days now. .
The wire is plenty long to hold it. The revision will,have a volume control as well. So in the end the hugo will not be touched just the iphone.
Loading 64 gigs takes some time though.
Al

Jun 10, 2014 at 11:53 AM Post #4,355 of 15,694
That adapter looks a whole lot more heavy-duty than the mini-to-micro adapter I managed to find in Fortune Town IT Mall in Bangkok a month or so ago. Even that was like finding buried treasure - even with a micro connector in one hand and my mini-terminated Furutech cable in the other I had the devil's own time trying to tell some of the shop owners what I wanted. 

Jun 10, 2014 at 11:58 AM Post #4,357 of 15,694

The ZX1 is a beautiful product, but the instruction manual is in Japanese and it uses a proprietary connector you cannot replace in the US. What are your impressions, how does it sound, easy to load from iTunes?

here's the user-guide for my old Walkman (Z1070), the ZX1/F887 is basically the same cept they do Hi-Res/DSD

http://docs.esupport.sony.com/portable/NWZZ1040-Z1050-Z1060/eng/index.html

loading anything onto a Sony is idiot-proof... I'm a good example.

The lead to connect to the Hugo is sold separately, I'd really recommend you buy it from Price-Japan, Ebay prices are seriously inflated.

Jun 10, 2014 at 12:06 PM Post #4,358 of 15,694

You just opened a can of worms that I really think belongs in the ZX1 thread. Apparently the ZX1 doesnt measure very well, particularly in SNR making it highly unlikely that anyone is going to be able to realise the promise of 24-bit audio - its all in the thread - but my own ears tell me the ZX1 sounds great for a DAP. 

don't believe everything you read... there are plenty of highly respected Head-Fi'ers who have owned the ZX1 since day-one... I don't see many selling them but you do see them selling more expensive DAP's after acquiring one.

At the end of the day all DAP's are irrelevant in the Hugo realm of things... they're just a source and nothing more.

Jun 10, 2014 at 12:09 PM Post #4,359 of 15,694
  I have two macs but they are not portable so the ak240 has its place

I would agree since I been using the Hugo and ak240 as a desktop rig for the most part.

----------------------

I answered to your statement that you are using the Hugo as a desktop. The Mac/Fidelia FHX module makes the Hugo sound better than any DAP will.

Jun 10, 2014 at 12:12 PM Post #4,360 of 15,694
Jun 10, 2014 at 12:16 PM Post #4,362 of 15,694
What player does native dsd ??
Al

Sansa Clip

evil_smiley.gif

It grieves me to say it, but the AK240 will play DSD natively (AFAIK, AK120 ii will play, but not natively). Dunno about actually getting it over to the Hugo, intact, without conversion, though, given bandwidth limitations of the D-O. I'm not the expert on such things, but my (limited) understanding is that to send very hi-res (in excess of 24/192) formats over digital, asynchronous USB is currently the 'only' viable option. Happy to be corrected/educated on this, though.

Jun 10, 2014 at 12:17 PM Post #4,363 of 15,694

here's the user-guide for my old Walkman (Z1070), the ZX1/F887 is basically the same cept they do Hi-Res/DSD

http://docs.esupport.sony.com/portable/NWZZ1040-Z1050-Z1060/eng/index.html

loading anything onto a Sony is idiot-proof... I'm a good example.

The lead to connect to the Hugo is sold separately, I'd really recommend you buy it from Price-Japan, Ebay prices are seriously inflated.

Thanks all for the Sony info. I'll consider it, unless Apple comes up with an iPhone soon that has some serious storage. ATC has the new Harman HTC1-M8, looking into that now.

Jun 10, 2014 at 12:24 PM Post #4,364 of 15,694
Could anyone please comment on the Chord Hugo DAC sonics compared to the Schiit Gungnir? 
(I realize one is portable and the other is like a piece of furniture, but if you could put that issue aside, I'd appreciate it. Thank you.)

Jun 10, 2014 at 12:24 PM Post #4,365 of 15,694

---------

I answered to your statement that you are using the Hugo as a desktop. The Mac/Fidelia FHX module makes the Hugo sound better than any DAP will.

Thats subjective and your opinion but Fidelia does not do DSD. ise aurdirvana which does dsd and amarra symphony for other stuff that does  use DSD. Thats formy  in home solutions.  You made it clear you opinion on Fidelia but I can't carry it easily a si only take my macbook when i have work to do on trips . Just not for my portable usage.  Have you heard or spent time with the AK240?

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back