Chord Hugo
May 29, 2014 at 8:19 AM Post #3,661 of 15,694
I understand.
Regarding USB hub for power.. it is a "trick" that can be made to make the AP1/AP2 with PP work with iPad Mini's lightning / USB output.
Come to think of it.. I think I want the AP1 with PP and I would like to use them while on the go to..
biggrin.gif

I'm curious, would a USB converter that doesn't need an external power supply (Sonicweld Diverter) work with an iPhone and a lightning/USB output?

May 29, 2014 at 8:23 AM Post #3,662 of 15,694
Yep, but then (from what I know) ONLY the UAPP player will provide hi-rez music to the HUGO. All other player will down-sample 24/96 & 24/192 before passing it to the HUGO.   Is it correct ? 

Basically yes. DXD is being supported.

May 29, 2014 at 8:28 AM Post #3,663 of 15,694
Hi guys, wana check with some of you who owns the hugo chord with the original chassis as well as the silver widows. Does the recessed jack fit with the silver widow with oyaide 3.5mm termination?

I have a toxic cable with furutech plug and it fits because it has a narrower bit sticking out (circled red in the picture below). The other plug DID NOT fit the recessed Hugo jack. Hope the picture helps you!

May 29, 2014 at 9:10 AM Post #3,664 of 15,694
I find it hard to beleave a transport that uses a dc powered needs an USB converter. How ever if someone here has it and uses it with a true transport as phone or ak::::
I would like to read there view. Anytime we use a transport outside of the device as in a dap we chance jitter . But jitter is many types .,it all comes down to effect of timing .
But if all dc thus should be low enough. How ever everything seems to effect everything else .,so who has done it under what circumstance . Please post it.

Al

May 29, 2014 at 1:21 PM Post #3,665 of 15,694

+1 Would love to be able to audition first.

We are revving-up for the start tomorrows Newport Beach Show - California, USA in the meantime here are a few updates…

Chord Electronics have merged the Hugo & Chord ‘Facebook’ pages, you can hear about product updates first by ‘liking’ their page…

you can find them here:- https://www.facebook.com/chordelectronics  go on you know you want to ‘like’ their Facebook page.

A couple of imminent reviews about the Hugo are due… Hi-Fi World’s review is due out in tomorrow’s June publication… and the new Hi-Fi Choice review is out on 5th June… for those who missed this month’s 5-star Hugo review in What Hi-Fi, here’s the link:- http://www.whathifi.com/review/hugo

May 29, 2014 at 2:05 PM Post #3,666 of 15,694
Hey OK-Guy,
Where's the booth? I'll try to come by on Saturday. 
BTW I liked the FB page but I love the Hugo.

Quote:

We are revving-up for the start tomorrows Newport Beach Show - California, USA in the meantime here are a few updates…

Chord Electronics have merged the Hugo & Chord ‘Facebook’ pages, you can hear about product updates first by ‘liking’ their page…

you can find them here:- https://www.facebook.com/chordelectronics  go on you know you want to ‘like’ their Facebook page.

A couple of imminent reviews about the Hugo are due… Hi-Fi World’s review is due out in tomorrow’s June publication… and the new Hi-Fi Choice review is out on 5th June… for those who missed this month’s 5-star Hugo review in What Hi-Fi, here’s the link:- http://www.whathifi.com/review/hugo

May 29, 2014 at 2:16 PM Post #3,667 of 15,694
Originally Posted by Sam Edwards /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Hey OK-Guy,
Where's the booth? I'll try to come by on Saturday. 
BTW I liked the FB page but I love the Hugo.

You can find us on the Main Floor of the Hilton Hotel... look for T.H.E Marketplace/Headphone Too (in green on floor-plan), hth.

http://www.theshownewport.com/maps/main-floor.html

May 29, 2014 at 2:34 PM Post #3,668 of 15,694
I do plan on a purchase in the future but would like to see the interconnectivity issues addressed first. Too many sterling reviews on the sound quality out a Hugo to ignore. Plus the portability really helps too.

May 29, 2014 at 7:04 PM Post #3,675 of 15,694
You nuts! If you're going to carry that much, might as well get a battery powered USB hub then, and go nuts. 

You are right! I guess that Hifi-Nutter and I have something in common as I have been pretty nuts myself over the years. :D

But because of my way of life these days I have focused more on head-fi rather than speaker systems.

(I even have to build me a listening room before I can put up my speaker system.. and it will be some time to get it all finished)

So to my liking I found top of the line head-fi systems to be much more affordable than top of the line speaker rigs.

I waited a long time for something like Hugo to show up in the portable market, and I must say that I was very glad when Chord talked about the coming Hugo for the very first time. And I am glad that it exceeded my expectations of how good it could be.

So now I want to optimize around Hugo. And I have comed up with a plan..

First step will be headphones that are top of the line and ultra portable. The T5P's are not that portable I'm afraid, and the HD800's are not that practical beeing open and all.. not perfect for every type of music either, but impressive in many ways.

So I will put my faith in Noble's Kaiser 10. The K10's are described as a very musical CIEM, and that they can play whatever you throw at them, and make every music type sound exceptionally good. They are super detailed and musical at the same time and got all the stuff I would ever want in a headphone sound wise. Pretty much the same could be said about the Hugo, so I guess it is not a coincidence that Chord and Noble are doing stuff together these days.

Next would be the Audiophilleo1 with PurePower, to optimize the signal chain and get the best possible feed for Hugo while still beeing portable. I guess the AP1 (with 384kHz and DSD128 over DoP support) together with PP it would be a perfect fit for the Hugo, but the "power draw feature" (for the iPad Mini) must be implemented in the AP1 to make this work as a compact setup. And Philip Gruebele has said that it is doable.

Everything is supposed to be in this little bag from Kangaroo Kingdom (size M):

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/New-Free-shipping-kangaroo-kingdom-Men-s-Genuine-Leather-PU-Shoulder-bag-Black-M154/109215_548175467.html

It fits the iPad Mini Retina perfectly (but not an iPad Air).
And it is allmost enough room for this thing, a Cocoon GRID-IT (Small):

http://store.apple.com/us/product/H9269LL/A/cocoon-grid-it-organizing-system-small?fnode=0d68fc7eb3b2c7ea37fec31206f4f4ba34a6955a9c838850040660342e9599ccef6d599ad083d52ff9b4b78659cb5cd99dcbb6f8829f914d187c4c8231d19511bb50102c2a9c5c9bb139bea04cc730f74fc0d6018b6d2cfb57c92ae2ea77b8e3

It will not fit so I have to modify it, or make my own.

The plan is to hook in Hugo in the rubber net, directly coupled to the AP1 and with PurePower nicely placed beside attached to the board, and on the back a spot for a rugged little case for the K10's while not in use, and also room for all chargers and extra cables needed.

It looks like I need an angeled Micro USB plug and a angeled mini jack plug for the K10's to fit everything perfectly. So while in the bag there will be no strain to any contact points and no contact to the bottom or the sides. This way I don't have to be so overly careful with it.

(And at last I will opt for the better K10- and USB-cable)

With this setup I can have an extremly good audio experience while on the go and in a very compact package. And it will last about 10 hours with continous play before some of the components might need a recharge.

And I can watch movies and series lying on a hotel bed, in a tent, or wherever.

And it will be an end game portable setup for me, and only upgrade when stuff breaks.

Why?

I don't listen to my desktop rig anymore. The Hugo has made me more focused on the music. I have spent a lot of time listening to eqipment and not to the music.

Most of my music is in 16/44.1 and Hugo plays 16/44.1 extremly well, as it gets me drawn into the music while at the same time make all the details of the recordings available for me.

And with the K10's and AP1 with PP in the setup, it should achieve something pretty close to audio nirvana for me, and in a very compact package.

If something a little bit better would appear one day, I would not feel any urge to upgrade..
And that is my compliments to the Hugo. It has my urge to upgrade tamed. I enjoy music instead.

It will be a while before I can afford everything, but it is nice to have something to look forward to isn't it, and doing so while enjoying music at the same time? :)

Edit (beside typos):
I even enjoy music I don't even like.. if that makes any sense at all?! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back