Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Feb 26, 2017 at 2:17 PM Post #1,036 of 22,521
I used Elear, lcd4, eikon and AEON. surely it's not a Dave but it doesn't tread too far from the path. Similar house sound that I wasn't getting with the mojo. It carries over the magic chord sound the Dave has just with obvious less technicalities. The hugoTT also sounds similar to Dave imo just a little less of everything.

Feb 26, 2017 at 2:22 PM Post #1,037 of 22,521

It makes the sound to have more impact and dynamics, but that is with HD, which seems to be notorious in need of LPS. whether it will help 2Qute I cannot say.
I'd probably go with IFI's iPower for 2Qute.

I think that IFI's iPower has very strong noise reduction. But DC power noise reduction is already done in 2Qute with a new Bob's design.
In term of dynamic MCRU should be other league compared to iFi.

Feb 26, 2017 at 3:24 PM Post #1,038 of 22,521
  I think people need to stop worrying about DAVE. It IS better and it is a lot more expensive, end of story.

Dave is a poor comparison for sure...I own a Dave and have a pre-order on the new Hugo 2....I owned the original Hugo and loved it but didnt consider it in the same league as the Dave nor should it be....as far as i am concerned Dave is the best desktop option on the market and the Higo 2 the best portable version,simple as that

Feb 26, 2017 at 3:32 PM Post #1,039 of 22,521
  Dave is a poor comparison for sure...I own a Dave and have a pre-order on the new Hugo 2....I owned the original Hugo and loved it but didnt consider it in the same league as the Dave nor should it be....as far as i am concerned Dave is the best desktop option on the market and the Higo 2 the best portable version,simple as that

To me that doesn't make sense. Why not compare? It doesn't mean the II would be as good but it gives a reference to the difference to what some consider one of the best dacs on the market. I would prefer a comparison that is more clear cut like that than to something that is about the same. 

Feb 26, 2017 at 4:19 PM Post #1,040 of 22,521

To me that doesn't make sense. Why not compare? It doesn't mean the II would be as good but it gives a reference to the difference to what some consider one of the best dacs on the market. I would prefer a comparison that is more clear cut like that than to something that is about the same. 

You certainly have a point, if someone analysed the DAVE and Hugo using the same source (computer software and hardware), with the same headphones, the same cables, etc, they might come up with some perceived differences. The problem is that no one else will be using exactly the same setup, there is so much variation in terms of sources, cables, power conditioning, etc,. Differences in the source/cables/headphones might blur/change the perceived differences between DAVE and Hugo.

The comparison might be interesting in an academic sense but not of much practical use, since the reference is only done in the context of the equipment used in the test.

The bottom line is that DAVE has the potential to produce higher quality sound than a Hugo but ancillaries may serve to mask or enhance that difference.

This is pretty much a never ending story in the hifi world and the biggest victims tend to be speakers. They are sometimes judged to sound bad when all they are doing is showing the weaknesses of upstream components... 

Feb 26, 2017 at 4:33 PM Post #1,041 of 22,521
I think Hugo2 will be like a little Dave but portable.Not only that will sound exceptional,but it will be a real success better than Mojo in my opinion.
Hopefully in the final version battery will be more than 7 hours.Also i am hoping there will be a way to turn off all the lights or at least to dim them like you can with Mojo.

Feb 26, 2017 at 5:03 PM Post #1,042 of 22,521
I think Hugo2 will be like a little Dave but portable.Not only that will sound exceptional,but it will be a real success better than Mojo in my opinion.
Hopefully in the final version battery will be more than 7 hours.Also i am hoping there will be a way to turn off all the lights or at least to dim them like you can with Mojo.

Depends what success is judged on. It won't sell more than the £400 Mojo because of the universal appeal Mojo had, and the wider audience outside Head-Fi that Mojo appealed to. But it could be an outstanding buy like Hugo orig.

You not like the lights? I love them in the dark, great a company does something different in this day of dull rectangular boxes.

Feb 26, 2017 at 5:16 PM Post #1,043 of 22,521

The last figures that I read for the Hugo in What Hifi (admittedly probably 18 months ago) were that it had sold over 10,000 units and was Chords most successful product (at the time).
Now people experiencing buzzing with their Mojos are posting serial numbers in the 5xxxx range, so for the Hugo 2 to be even more successful than the Mojo, it will probably have to sell more than 4 times as many units as the Hugo.

That will be some achievement!

Feb 26, 2017 at 6:12 PM Post #1,044 of 22,521

The last figures that I read for the Hugo in What Hifi (admittedly probably 18 months ago) were that it had sold over 10,000 units and was Chords most successful product (at the time).
Now people experiencing buzzing with their Mojos are posting serial numbers in the 5xxxx range, so for the Hugo 2 to be even more successful than the Mojo, it will probably have to sell more than 4 times as many units as the Hugo.

That will be some achievement!

I wouldn't worry about that.I think that will sell quite well,not that is a great Hi-fi product in the audiophile's world but is designed and built to last.
Movies and music will sound fantastic I think based on how good Hugo and Mojo already are.

Feb 26, 2017 at 6:14 PM Post #1,045 of 22,521
  I think people need to stop worrying about DAVE. It IS better and it is a lot more expensive, end of story.

It is not about worry; it is called a "reference point."

I think it is commonly known that Hugo 2 is not DAVE, just as Hugo is not Mojo.  

It is very helpful to hear comparisons, below and above, with Mojo and DAVE; both from the same company.

It is useful for descriptive purposes and prospective customers.  

Feb 26, 2017 at 6:37 PM Post #1,046 of 22,521
What's the difference between fake news and alternate truths?

Anyway, until someone does an A/B review of HUGO 1 vs HUGO2, vs MOJO vs DAVE and then with different TOTL headphones in a quiet space other than a noisy CanJam event, we are all waiting in suspense.

We need somone to do a FULL shoot out on this forum with all the variables
biggrin.gif

- Mojo vs Hugo

- Mojo vs Hugo 2 (Reference Filter)

- Mojo vs Hugo 2 (Mojo Filter)

- Hugo vs Hugo 2 (Reference Filter)

- Hugo 2 vs Hugo TT

- Hugo 2 vs Dave

- Hugo 2 vs Dave + MScaler

- Dave vs Hugo 2 + Mscaler

Now chord just needs to loan that somone all of the above lol...

Feb 26, 2017 at 7:01 PM Post #1,047 of 22,521

biggrin.gif

- Mojo vs Hugo

- Hugo 2 vs Hugo TT

- Hugo 2 vs Dave

You forgot Hugo 2 + Mscaler vs Dave + Mscaler  - based on Rob's description of the various pieces, I suspect these will be very very close (at least that's what I'm counting on, until the digital amps are available)

I have a Mojo and will be getting the Hugo 2, so I'll happily volunteer to get loaners of the other items and do this shootout :wink:

Feb 26, 2017 at 7:13 PM Post #1,048 of 22,521

biggrin.gif

- Mojo vs Hugo

- Hugo 2 vs Hugo TT

- Hugo 2 vs Dave

Yes, great idea,, they could start by comparing Mojo vs Hugo. I suggest they check them with all permutations, such as PC, Mac, hard drive running, hard drive off, solid state hard drive, dedicated music server from brand a, b, c...z, DAP from brand X, Y and Z, cable from various manufacturers, extra power supply from brand a, b or c, data purifiers and reclockers, singly and daisy chained, jitterbug, etc. etc. Who knows, the Mojo might even sound better than Hugo in 5% of the permutations while Hugo sounds better, in different ways in the other 95%... 

Once that is finished check the others. Once that is finished your conclusions will be useless since by then the products will be obsolete

Seriously, I would check these things myself in my own system and that would be useful to me. How they compare in someone else's setup isn't really going to help me a whole lot. 

This reminds me of a magazine review of a certain obscure amplifier. According to the reviewer it generally sounded average and was overpriced (of course he said this in a very polite and obscure way since this was a mainstream magazine that relies on advertising), but when you use a certain turntable with a certain tonearm and a certain cartridge that was adjusted just so and a particular phono preamplifier, then the thing was worthy of recommendation... Completely useless information...  

Feb 26, 2017 at 7:41 PM Post #1,049 of 22,521
I'll be able to test the Hugo2 with the Mojo and the DAVE when the Hugo2 arrives for the Canadian tour. Should be interesting comparing the filters on the Hugo2 to the actual devices.

Feb 26, 2017 at 7:49 PM Post #1,050 of 22,521
The lights make a cool show on the ceiling when lying in bed.  Everyone knows there are two intensity levels,right?  Bright is very bright when it hits you in the eye.

The Hugo2 and Dave are remarkably close to my ears (albeit with limited listening in less than ideal settings).  They have major separation from Mojo.  I think I'd have no problem blind picking either from the mojo, but I'm not so confident from each other.  I'd still buy a Dave (or more likely a hugo2 TT) as it is just better in a system, but I'm really interested to see what the scaler can do with the Hugo2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back