Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Feb 25, 2017 at 12:33 PM Post #1,006 of 22,537
  guys...help me to understand something please on desktop vs 'regular' DACs.

my friend (has the wadia 122 dac) isn't interested in the hugo2 as it's more portable and desktop oriented
than, i presume, a wall wart based DAC with it's own power supply...i'm just trying to understand the diffs between buying a hugo2 vs, say, a benchmark dac3 or sim 280D.
i have only powered speakers as desktop (focal alpha 50) ....might get the Kef LS 50 wls...so i presume I have no need for a more robust DAC....

or am i missing something? still trying to understand the pros and cons of each before i make a purchase.

You are asking about 2 different characteristics:

Power source - battery versus direct AC. Both can deliver clean power to the DAC circuitry. Just because a DAC is battery powered doesn't mean it's only meant for portable. Chord TT is an example of this.

Form factor - there are no official industry standards, but generally speaking you have the following:
  1. Desktop - anything that is not portable or transportable
  2. Portable - runs on it's own power and can fit in a pocket
  3. Transportable - runs on it's own power but too large to fit in a pocket

Neither of the above can be equated to "quality". You have desktop DACs that are under $100 and you have battery powered DACs that costs thousands. At the end of the day, you have to decide how you want to use the DAC and most importantly how does it sound to your ears.

Feb 25, 2017 at 12:52 PM Post #1,007 of 22,537
@Maru10 what sources were you using when comparing Mojo and Qute HD? I believe Qute HD has galvanic isolation and it has the added benefit of running off of mains power. If you connect both units to a top source the gap might shrink in favor of one unit or the other. There is also a huge possibility that the mains power is what's responsable to the more dynamic lively sound you hear from Qute HD. It is also inevitable that Chord will eventually replace the 2Qute with a more updated version so you could just get that at a later date.

I believe that the galvanic iso was introduced to Qute ex, HD is unisolated. I have actually never tried it off the usb.

But back to your queston, I feed my Qute hd by coax from smsl x-usb (nifty little upgrade actually) and power it by MCRU LPS. Mojo is being fed off the battery either by iphone or optical in. In both cases i believe i had quite minimzed the noise introduced to both of my systems.

Feb 25, 2017 at 1:00 PM Post #1,008 of 22,537

Mike, that's bad luck for you: The first few silver Hugo²s have an old FPGA code lacking the revision with the dual-data mode.
eek.gif

No that is incorrect all units will have the correct production code.

Yeah, I know, John... It was just a joke at miketlse's expense.
wink.gif

Feb 25, 2017 at 1:52 PM Post #1,009 of 22,537
I believe that the galvanic iso was introduced to Qute ex, HD is unisolated. I have actually never tried it off the usb.

But back to your queston, I feed my Qute hd by coax from smsl x-usb (nifty little upgrade actually) and power it by MCRU LPS. Mojo is being fed off the battery either by iphone or optical in. In both cases i believe i had quite minimzed the noise introduced to both of my systems.

I'm interested in the SMSL X-USB; never heard of it until you mentioned it but I have seen SMSL products before. This is one of the cheapest usb to optical converters I have seen, it can also do coax and i2S.
How is the audio quality through coax and optical for Mojo and Qute HD? Why have you chosen coax over optical for your Qute HD?

Feb 25, 2017 at 2:41 PM Post #1,010 of 22,537
I'm interested in the SMSL X-USB; never heard of it until you mentioned it but I have seen SMSL products before. This is one of the cheapest usb to optical converters I have seen, it can also do coax and i2S.
How is the audio quality through coax and optical for Mojo and Qute HD? Why have you chosen coax over optical for your Qute HD?

For what I know, SMSL does not have star reputation, but I cannot say a word against X-USB. I originally bought it because of the IIS to use it with Gustard x20pro, but when I returned Gustard and bought the Qute HD for a smile, I start using it with that.

The sound is very good, using standard xmos drivers. It is stable and reliable. UNit is being powered from pc (with al pros and cons of such design), and the display shows the bitrate, which is another plus for me.

The only problem I have with XUSB is the fact it is small and light; it actually floats above desk being held in space by stiff coax cable.

Other than that, I can only recommend it as reliable USB Spdif converter.

Feb 25, 2017 at 2:59 PM Post #1,011 of 22,537

Does MCRU LPS make a difference?

Feb 25, 2017 at 3:08 PM Post #1,012 of 22,537
We will produce as many as possible as quickly as we can but there will always be a production ramp up and filling of the distribution channels and it's likely that demand will exceed production in the initial weeks so please understand.

We all,well most of us, understand. Its just the old waiting game we are playing now. I'm playing two right now.

Feb 25, 2017 at 6:01 PM Post #1,014 of 22,537

I know we're all excited about the release date for H2.  But, if we get impatient, just take a look at the GeekWave thread and enjoy the wait.

Hey! That is unfair. I have been waiting for ages for that, and would happily exchange it for a Hugo 2.

My sympathies.  I follow the thread to punish myself for getting impatient with something I'm looking forward to.  i.e. the QP1R.  

Feb 25, 2017 at 6:18 PM Post #1,015 of 22,537

Dear Rob Watts,

I guess that my question is answered. I will ask it anyhow. 

Does production units in March, mean that the Hugo 2 is also in stores around the world (Europe) at march 11th and forth? Ready for sale. 

Thanks. 

We will produce as many as possible as quickly as we can but there will always be a production ramp up and filling of the distribution channels and it's likely that demand will exceed production in the initial weeks so please understand.

Is there some sort of allocation ratio for foreign buyers?  Just a canuk asking.

Feb 25, 2017 at 11:19 PM Post #1,016 of 22,537
I'm curious what you guys think about the the Hugo 2 vs Hugo. Do you feel they made enough advancements with the Hugo 2 to spend extra on it vs the Hugo which is now on sale for around 1500.

I was also wondering how these handle high impedance headphones. I will be getting the zmf eikons which are 300 ohm headphones.

Feb 26, 2017 at 12:45 AM Post #1,017 of 22,537
I'm curious what you guys think about the the Hugo 2 vs Hugo. Do you feel they made enough advancements with the Hugo 2 to spend extra on it vs the Hugo which is now on sale for around 1500.

I was also wondering how these handle high impedance headphones. I will be getting the zmf eikons which are 300 ohm headphones.

Have you actually read anything on this thread, because your questions suggest otherwise.

Feb 26, 2017 at 7:11 AM Post #1,020 of 22,537
Yeah, I know, John... It was just a joke at miketlse's expense. :wink:
:ok_hand:Yes I realised a few post on but surprisingly we had a few of our distributors phoning in to us wanting to know about it. They were seriously saying we shouldn't do this. So we were initially mystified where this rumour had come from, it just shows the power of fake news in our connected world.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back