Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Feb 26, 2017 at 7:23 AM Post #1,021 of 22,537
:ok_hand:Yes I realised a few post on but surprisingly we had a few of our distributors phoning in to us wanting to know about it. They were seriously saying we shouldn't do this. So we were initially mystified where this rumour had come from, it just shows the power of fake news in our connected world.
Yes john i totally agree with you about the power of fake news,now who told me the original blu would be upgradable to the blu 2.Fake news really sucks☺

Feb 26, 2017 at 7:46 AM Post #1,022 of 22,537
I'm curious what you guys think about the the Hugo 2 vs Hugo. Do you feel they made enough advancements with the Hugo 2 to spend extra on it vs the Hugo which is now on sale for around 1500.

I was also wondering how these handle high impedance headphones. I will be getting the zmf eikons which are 300 ohm headphones.

Initial listenings suggest this is a portable 'Dave', which is quite exciting.

Stay tuned and check out some recent posts...and....

Welcome.

Feb 26, 2017 at 7:50 AM Post #1,023 of 22,537
I was also in Bristol today. I was slightly disappointed in that I didn't notice the step change between Hugo and Hugo 2 that I notice between Mojo and Hugo or between Hugo and Dave especially. Even though, as you mention, the standard filter is called Dave Emulation. Interestingly I did prefer the orange filter which I was told is "Mojo".

Findings today in a difficult environment with open back headphones make me even more keen to participate in the upcoming Hugo UK tour so I can sensibly A/B the Hugos.

Did you have the Hugo there to A/B it (despite environment), or were you going off memory?

That it wouldn't be as big a leap between the Hugo to Hugo 2 as the Mojo to Hugo isn't super surprising due to the price brackets from one company. I would imagine it would be noticeable but you would have to concentrate very hard on the details that let you know this. I experienced this when I A/B auditioned the Qute vs the 2Qute on a hi-fi system. I wouldn't rate my chances at picking the difference between the two though from memory alone listening to one system and being asked to identify it (especially if I was just caught up in enjoying the tune). But it was noticeable enough for me to pull the trigger. For many the difference wouldn't have been worth the money, for me it was the psychological satisfaction I was getting that bit more realism for a figure where the addage "in for a penny, in for a pound" made sense. It cemented for me the idea that the law of diminishing returns was at play though, the first chunk of money gets you the pretty close to the audio ideal you are looking for and each number of several hundreds of dollars more seems it is squeezing up in smaller steps than those several hundreds would have gotten you away from mediocre sound at the base price. Extrapolating info and thoughts from others comments is still an interesting past time :)

Also, I am a layman. The Mojo filter is emulating a desirable aspect of the Mojo, whilst still sounding as much better than a Mojo that a Hugo deserves to for its extra wizardry, right? What desirable aspect of the Mojo would that be? Because for me the sound signatures sounded like they came from the same family that realism and fullness of sound seemed the only differentiators. If you preferred the Mojo filter to the Dave one (which is intended for the same neutral reference as far as I understand that the Hugo was aiming for too), then shouldn't the Mojo filter be reason enough to consider the Hugo 2 a noticeable step up from the original Hugo?  

I am toying whether to pull the trigger now, or wait to hear the two side by side, given my thoughts on diminishing returns vs the psychological satisfaction of squeezing a few steps. 

Feb 26, 2017 at 8:37 AM Post #1,024 of 22,537
:ok_hand:Yes I realised a few post on but surprisingly we had a few of our distributors phoning in to us wanting to know about it. They were seriously saying we shouldn't do this. So we were initially mystified where this rumour had come from, it just shows the power of fake news in our connected world.

There is BIG excitement about Hugo2.
A London distributor is naming a shipping date at the begin of March.
Your partner is talking loud about finishing production code "right now". 
And voila some cannot handle it and you have your "fake news" even your partner said there is only one production code.
I can tell you exactly where this happened because i have written sth to this topic but that was reported and deleted and got a message from the moderators. 
So i stay calm. Preorder is out since 3 weeks and i can just support you in taking all the time Hugo2 needs to be ready and proudly establish made in England.

Feb 26, 2017 at 10:52 AM Post #1,026 of 22,537
Did you have the Hugo there to A/B it (despite environment), or were you going off memory?

That it wouldn't be as big a leap between the Hugo to Hugo 2 as the Mojo to Hugo isn't super surprising due to the price brackets from one company........

I took my Hugo and a pair of portable headphones (B&W P7) which I am very familiar with to Bristol and spent the evening in the hotel listening to some of my favourite tracks. At the show I connected to Hugo2 and listened to the same tracks through my headphones for about 45 mins. I was lucky that the Hugo Stand was not very busy first thing on Friday. Later on in the day Chord had connected up some LCD-2 headphones so I used those to approximate to my regular LCD-XC headphones. So I took this exercise quite seriously.

While some people are saying this is a portable Dave I think that sets expectations too high. Dave's headphone output blows me away. My first impressions were that Hugo2's Mojo filter is a big step up from Mojo but an incremental one from Hugo.

The rest of your post seems to be trying to convince either you or me to pull the trigger now so I have no comment on that.

Edit: Apologies. I just read your lengthy post again and you seem equally uncertain. My recommendation would be for a Hugo owner to wait until you have had an A/B comparison. Mojo users can jump in with gay abandon.

Feb 26, 2017 at 11:35 AM Post #1,028 of 22,537
What's the difference between fake news and alternate truths?

Anyway, until someone does an A/B review of HUGO 1 vs HUGO2, vs MOJO vs DAVE and then with different TOTL headphones in a quiet space other than a noisy CanJam event, we are all waiting in suspense.

Feb 26, 2017 at 12:46 PM Post #1,032 of 22,537
What's the difference between fake news and alternate truths?

Anyway, until someone does an A/B review of HUGO 1 vs HUGO2, vs MOJO vs DAVE and then with different TOTL headphones in a quiet space other than a noisy CanJam event, we are all waiting in suspense.

ah yes...'in a quiet space', key part there.

Feb 26, 2017 at 1:57 PM Post #1,033 of 22,537
I stand by what I said about the Hugo2 being a portable Dave. it goes about reproducing sound in the same fashion just smaller. Tube like expansion of the image, SMOOTH textures and the unique thing about them is how they seem to tone down the macro dynamics and bring forward in a caressing manner the micro dynamics and details.

Feb 26, 2017 at 2:06 PM Post #1,034 of 22,537
I stand by what I said about the Hugo2 being a portable Dave. it goes about reproducing sound in the same fashion just smaller. Tube like expansion of the image, SMOOTH textures and the unique thing about them is how they seem to tone down the macro dynamics and bring forward in a caressing manner the micro dynamics and details.

What headphones are using or IEM's and have you compared back and forth with the DAVE? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back