CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Oct 25, 2015 at 6:18 PM Post #556 of 25,969

I'm surprised that there's still people who believe their preference be universally valid.

My universe is preferentially valid; does that count?
biggrin.gif

Yes, no problem!
biggrin.gif
But how do you know there's only one? (Multiverse hypothesis...)

Ah, but I didn't say there is only one (though there might be only one).

In either case, whatever universe 'I' am 'experiencing' is precisely as I consciously+subconsciously prefer it to be, and is therefore 'valid' as, and in, my 'experience' of existing within it.

That does not mean that the same cannot also be true in alternative parallel universes, if the individuated experience of 'I - ness' also exists in those, too.

In seriousness, I think we both know that there is just no way either of us can possibly 'know'  'THE Answer' to any of this, and even if we could, the outrageous limitations of semantics would be unable to convey it, anyway! LOL

My guess is that there may turn out to be many 'individuals' who enjoy DAVE and consider it to be their preference in DACs, within their experiential universes, however many of those there might be.

PS: my head hurts !
biggrin.gif

Oct 25, 2015 at 7:08 PM Post #558 of 25,969
The truth is, there's no universal truth about sound quality. Sonic ideals vary to a large degree – and then there's component synergy... Even Rob Watts doesn't share your preference. I'm surprised that there's still people who believe their preference be universally valid.
I'm pretty sure Rob watts has never said that is preference is the Hugo tt over the QBD 76.maybe Rob watts would like to answer this question.

Oct 25, 2015 at 7:48 PM Post #559 of 25,969

The truth is, there's no universal truth about sound quality. Sonic ideals vary to a large degree – and then there's component synergy... Even Rob Watts doesn't share your preference. I'm surprised that there's still people who believe their preference be universally valid.

I'm pretty sure Rob watts has never said that is preference is the Hugo tt over the QBD 76.maybe Rob watts would like to answer this question.

I believe to remember that he considered the Hugo to be the best current Chord DAC (that was before the TT was out).

However, that's not the point.
wink.gif

Oct 25, 2015 at 7:52 PM Post #560 of 25,969
  PS: my head hurts !
biggrin.gif

Sorry, that wasn't my intention!
frown.gif
On the other hand, there might be an infinite number of Mython universes with deviating preferences, who knows!

But actually I'm sure DAVE will be the best Chord DAC. At least to the overwhelming majority of auditioners in all kinds of universes in which it's going to be produced.

Oct 25, 2015 at 8:41 PM Post #561 of 25,969
Not a single guy who can give us a small review ? Must be a high number of people who have heard it and can compare it to their own dac at home, because Chord don't seem to demonstrate it vs an existing DAC, and thats a weakness in my opinion if it the DAVE are truly that good they do not have anything be afraid off.

Oct 25, 2015 at 9:13 PM Post #562 of 25,969
Not a single guy who can give us a small review ? Must be a high number of people who have heard it and can compare it to their own dac at home, because Chord don't seem to demonstrate it vs an existing DAC, and thats a weakness in my opinion if it the DAVE are truly that good they do not have anything be afraid off.

c'mon give Chord a break... as Rob iterated he took the finished Dave to LA for a 'first time' unveiling... I daresay some reviews will soon start filtering through in the near future, it may not be the answer you want but it's the best I can do until I'm updated on a release-date.

Oct 26, 2015 at 1:02 AM Post #563 of 25,969
I believe to remember that he considered the Hugo to be the best current Chord DAC (that was before the TT was out).

However, that's not the point. :wink:
No 1 from chord including Rob watts have ever said that the Hugo sounded better than the QBD 76,In fact i remember when people were asking that very question,and John franks said the QBD 76 was still CHORDS best dac.Read the QBD 76 thread on here before making statements like that,or better still,listen to a QBD 76.thats the point.

Oct 26, 2015 at 4:32 AM Post #564 of 25,969
Ok-guy
Do you know why the Dave cradle has grown longer legs for the HiFi News outing?

Not sure I like that

Oct 26, 2015 at 5:00 AM Post #565 of 25,969
I'd assumed that the DAVE cradle was an integral part of the design and included in the £8,000 price, but no, it's a £1,500 accessory instead!  
eek.gif

Quote:
Ok-guy

Not sure I like that

Oct 26, 2015 at 5:52 AM Post #567 of 25,969
Found this: http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f11-software/hq-player-20293/index148.html

A bit off-topic, but I had a chance to listen to Chord's new Dave DAC at a launch event last week (they also launched Mojo, essentially the Hugo electronics in a package the size of a pack of cards). There was also a short presentation by Rob Watt, the independent designer Chord use for their digital devices. Dave is using a 28nm Xilinx FPHA that gives RW 166 DSP cores with which to do interpolation, filtering, etc. Alas, I don't have any copies of the slides, but I do remember that 17th order noise shaping was used and there was a very interesting configuration on the output amp that I hadn't seen before. RW is in the "it's most important to get the transient timing right", also following the path other UK manufacturers hold to which is that the ear can discern timing differences equivalent to 250khz sampling rates, and it's this that's important, more so than frequency range. He has also produced a device (approx $13,000 BTW) that has some of the lowest noise figures I've ever seen, with a basic device noise floor down at -150 db and an extremely clean-looking -127db A weighted result with a 1 kHz signal at 2.5 v output. RW was adamant that removing music modulations appearing in the sound floor is crucial as it's this that greatly contributes to opening up a 3D level of imaging. RW is also working on an A to D box for Chord that runs at 768khz and so Dave also offers that sampling rate too, the hope being that, a bit like MQA, there's the chance of really pulling together the entire recording-to-reproduction chain, offering the listener a chance to hear what the performer (or recording engineer, at least!) really wanted to have conveyed.

Sound? The most impressive thing was a) sound staging, b) detail retrieval, and c) image depth. On every recording (even the bad ones), you could hear deep into the acoustic space it was recorded in, be it live or studio. Instruments set back on a stage in, say, a classical concert, really were set back there! The system also extracted detail I'd previously missed in tracks that I thought I knew extremely well, and did so with 44.1k RBCD.

I've heard quite a few very high end systems over the years (and this was paired by Chord amps and Estelon speakers, call it $100k total) but have never heard a sound stage quite like it. Now, this was one incredibly revealing system, perhaps more than was comfortable at times. However, I would say that I've never really gelled with the big Chord amps and would love to hear the same set up but with something different in the middle. The Estelon XAs are neutral and fast, but the amps just seem to squeeze the color out of some tracks, which for me is a bit too much of a trade off in return for huge reserves of power.

Oct 26, 2015 at 7:26 AM Post #568 of 25,969
Ok-guy

Not sure I like that

I'll be speaking to The Pump in the next hour or so and I'll ask & report back

I'd assumed that the DAVE cradle was an integral part of the design and included in the £8,000 price, but no, it's a £1,500 accessory instead!  
eek.gif

Chord have never included the price of stands with any of their products, so not really a shocker to those familiar with the Brand... also, there's a couple of different stand options available if memory serves me right, hth...
normal_smile .gif

Oct 26, 2015 at 8:33 AM Post #569 of 25,969
....However, I would say that I've never really gelled with the big Chord amps and would love to hear the same set up but with something different in the middle.

I've had Chord amps for over 15 years and I agree with you, the larger amps (SPM14000) do seem to rob the music of something, hard to pin down what is missing. It is apparent that the noise floor with the large amps is very low though so it may just be that we are unused to uncoloured amplification.

I am quite excited by Dave, I currently have the Chord Indigo with HDSD upgrade, better than the QBD76 :) as it has the analogue volume control from the CPA5000 pre-amp. I bought it and sold the QBD76/CPA4000 saving a box and improving the sound. And it has a headphone out...

H.

Oct 26, 2015 at 8:43 AM Post #570 of 25,969

However, that's not the point.
wink.gif

No 1 from chord including Rob watts have ever said that the Hugo sounded better than the QBD 76,In fact i remember when people were asking that very question,and John franks said the QBD 76 was still CHORDS best dac.Read the QBD 76 thread on here before making statements like that,or better still,listen to a QBD 76.thats the point.

Even if I had auditioned the QBD 76 and liked it better, I would never state it be better. That's the thing you don't seem to understand: There are no absolutes in music reproduction. Different people have different sonic ideals and preferences. «Better» is purely subjective.

You may know that John Franks isn't Rob Watts – except maybe in some alternative universes we don't have to take into account here.

Here are some hints that Rob prefers the Hugo to the QBD 76:   link   link   link

Users who are viewing this thread

Back