CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Oct 24, 2015 at 2:29 PM Post #541 of 25,937
They are all speechless after hearing it. I am planning to stop by the Los Angeles one this afternoon.

Oct 24, 2015 at 8:24 PM Post #543 of 25,937
Hi sorry, I'm only visiting la. So no Internet when I was out. Here's the late address.

Los Angeles, CA - October 24, 2015

Brooks Berdan Ltd. - High Performance Event
Saturday October 24, 2015, 3pm to 7pm
110 West Olive Avenue, Monrovia, CA
Tel: 626-359-9131

I'm out with my friends. I'll post some pictures later

Oct 24, 2015 at 8:57 PM Post #544 of 25,937
Hi sorry, I'm only visiting la. So no Internet when I was out. Here's the late address.

Los Angeles, CA - October 24, 2015

Brooks Berdan Ltd. - High Performance Event
Saturday October 24, 2015, 3pm to 7pm
110 West Olive Avenue, Monrovia, CA
Tel: 626-359-9131

I'm out with my friends. I'll post some pictures later

Whe don't need more pictures, whe need impressions on the sound :yum:

Oct 25, 2015 at 5:50 AM Post #545 of 25,937
I got to try the Dave and the Mojo today. I liked the Mojo. It sounded more full and engaging then my AK120 with my UEs.

The Dave is a work of art. Its beautiful to see in person. I got to try it with my Audeze lcd3f with a silver double helix cable. But sadly not with my own music. They didn't have an optical cable for my AK120 and the iPhone apple camera connection kit doesn't work with the Dave. It says not enough power.

The center button works by turning it for volume or you can push it down to mute. If you plug a headphone in, it will cut the sound to the outputs and play only through the headphone out. Up and down scrolls through the menus while left and right change them.

WTA filter <> DSD filter
Phase Neg <> Phase Pos
HF Fil Off <> HF Fil On
Crossfeed 0 <> 1 <>2 <> 3

The USB 44.1khz part of the screen changes colors depending on the input. When you turn the volume higher the -db part changes and color changes to red, blue etc.
The Dave did heat up. It was only warm to touch and didn't get hot. There also a small sensor on top of the screen that turns off the screen if theres no movement after like a min.

The Sound

Most the songs I didn't know. But Dave sounded really good to me on my LCD3f. It sounded very engaging and detailed. The noise floor is 0. I can turn the volume down and not hear noise. The soundstage is pretty wide but guess harder to tell on LCD3 since only goes so wide. It was harder for me since I didn't know any of the songs, but everything sounded great. I heard every instrument clearly and could easily tell the differences. Even on the LCD3 they are clear and not blurry. I tested only about 3 tracks. I didn't want to hog the device since they were planning to play the Dave with the chord setup and speakers for other people and I had another event to go to afterwards with friends. Sorry if this isn't much help.

The full setup with speakers sounded great. Wish I had such a setup.

Oct 25, 2015 at 6:58 AM Post #548 of 25,937
Thanks for your thoughts as every contribution is useful in building a sonic `picture' of DAVE. 
beerchug.gif

Quote:

Yes I did. Sorry if it isn't as detailed.  I have a harder time telling differences with songs I am not familiar with.

Oct 25, 2015 at 10:13 AM Post #549 of 25,937
Whilst we wait for definitive reviews of DAVE I notice that Jon Iverson of Stereophile released a review of the HUGO TT this week. After extensive time with the TT and comparing it with 4 other well respected DACs he concluded: 

"Though I didn't have them on hand for a face-to-face, I'd put the Hugo TT in the same class as MSB Technology's Analog DAC ($6995) or the Antelope Zodiac Platinum, both of which I've heard at length in the same system."

This bodes well for the DAVE DAC I think.

http://www.stereophile.com/content/chord-electronics-hugo-tt-da-headphone-amplifier#WxfgmUqARRiEZsYq.97

Oct 25, 2015 at 11:19 AM Post #550 of 25,937
Great to hear that Rob.

Is that ISS (International Sound and Sight Ex) on Nov 27 to 29?
http://www.xtremeplace.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=207563.0

Will you bring Dave there?

Mav

Quote:
  Yes actually I am pretty busy in Singapore - I don't have the details to hand so going on my memory, but will be at a show around 27th Nov. Then back for the headphone show around the 12 Dec. At the moment I don't know about CanJam Singapore, it clashes with our half term school holidays.

Rob

Oct 25, 2015 at 12:49 PM Post #551 of 25,937
I got to try the Dave and the Mojo today. I liked the Mojo. It sounded more full and engaging then my AK120 with my UEs.

The Dave is a work of art. Its beautiful to see in person. I got to try it with my Audeze lcd3f with a silver double helix cable. But sadly not with my own music. They didn't have an optical cable for my AK120 and the iPhone apple camera connection kit doesn't work with the Dave. It says not enough power.

The center button works by turning it for volume or you can push it down to mute. If you plug a headphone in, it will cut the sound to the outputs and play only through the headphone out. Up and down scrolls through the menus while left and right change them.

WTA filter <> DSD filter
Phase Neg <> Phase Pos
HF Fil Off <> HF Fil On
Crossfeed 0 <> 1 <>2 <> 3

The USB 44.1khz part of the screen changes colors depending on the input. When you turn the volume higher the -db part changes and color changes to red, blue etc.
The Dave did heat up. It was only warm to touch and didn't get hot. There also a small sensor on top of the screen that turns off the screen if theres no movement after like a min.

The Sound

Most the songs I didn't know. But Dave sounded really good to me on my LCD3f. It sounded very engaging and detailed. The noise floor is 0. I can turn the volume down and not hear noise. The soundstage is pretty wide but guess harder to tell on LCD3 since only goes so wide. It was harder for me since I didn't know any of the songs, but everything sounded great. I heard every instrument clearly and could easily tell the differences. Even on the LCD3 they are clear and not blurry. I tested only about 3 tracks. I didn't want to hog the device since they were planning to play the Dave with the chord setup and speakers for other people and I had another event to go to afterwards with friends. Sorry if this isn't much help.

The full setup with speakers sounded great. Wish I had such a setup.

And if you for just fun can describe the diffrence to Mojo vs DAVE on your LCD 3f would be very intresting.

Was it a huge clarity / space / bass definition in difference?

Oct 25, 2015 at 5:00 PM Post #552 of 25,937
Whilst we wait for definitive reviews of DAVE I notice that Jon Iverson of Stereophile released a review of the HUGO TT this week. After extensive time with the TT and comparing it with 4 other well respected DACs he concluded: 

"Though I didn't have them on hand for a face-to-face, I'd put the Hugo TT in the same class as MSB Technology's [COLOR=000000]Analog DAC[/COLOR] ($6995) or the Antelope Zodiac Platinum, both of which I've heard at length in the same system."

This bodes well for the DAVE DAC I think.

http://www.stereophile.com/content/chord-electronics-hugo-tt-da-headphone-amplifier#WxfgmUqARRiEZsYq.97
Sometimes i get a bit bemused by some of these people that review hifi.If he thinks that about the Hugo tt,then what about the QBD 76?It sounds alot better than a Hugo tt.The question people should be asking is,will Dave sound alot better than the QBD 76,and if so,by what margin?Can Dave sound better than the blu transport in daul data mode with the QBD 76?

Oct 25, 2015 at 5:48 PM Post #553 of 25,937
Sometimes i get a bit bemused by some of these people that review hifi.If he thinks that about the Hugo tt,then what about the QBD 76?It sounds alot better than a Hugo tt.The question people should be asking is,will Dave sound alot better than the QBD 76,and if so,by what margin?Can Dave sound better than the blu transport in daul data mode with the QBD 76?

The truth is, there's no universal truth about sound quality. Sonic ideals vary to a large degree – and then there's component synergy... Even Rob Watts doesn't share your preference. I'm surprised that there's still people who believe their preference be universally valid.

Oct 25, 2015 at 5:54 PM Post #555 of 25,937

I'm surprised that there's still people who believe their preference be universally valid.

My universe is preferentially valid; does that count?
biggrin.gif

Yes, no problem!
biggrin.gif
But how do you know there's only one? (Multiverse hypothesis...)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back