Chinese / Asian Brand IEM Info Thread
Dec 9, 2016 at 1:35 PM Post #4,036 of 33,689
  Beware of ****.

Below are the frequency response of 4 **** UEs bought to NiceHCK along several months (raw measurements with source calibration, but not compensated; useful for comparisons, all were measured in a row, with exact same conditions; source: iBasso D14, calibrated; micro: Dayton Audio iMM-6; soundcard: Realtek ALC888).

The issues go across imbalance between left and right, lows and highs roll-off, and defective balanced armature (harsh peaks and excessive dips in highs and upper mids). This could suggest very low quality control of the drivers used (both dynamic and balanced armature); now I doubt the BA used is a true Knowles 30042 (and if it is, many are defective). And this could explain why some people find excessive harshness and sibilance in their **** (UEs, 4in1, DT2, etc.), while others don't.
First, comparison of 4 **** UEs (left and right averaged):

Now, individuals, left and right exposed.

**** UEs (camo):

Despite of the lows imbalance (sub-bass, 5dB at 30Hz, 2.5dB at 60Hz), these are my favorite. I love their sound.

**** UEs (blue 1):

No lows imbalance, but highs imbalance and roll-off, specially one driver (-10dB at 10KHz peak), and roll-off from that frequency (it is more than -20dB at 13KHz!). This is not very noticeable if you have difficulties to hear beyond 10KHz. No harshness in these ones, of course.

**** UEs (blue 2):

These are very similar to camo ones. Lows imbalance, but very good overall.

**** UEs (blue 4, clearly defective to my ears):

Note the horrible dip near 7KHz, and the excessive peak at 10KHz in one driver. 7KHz frequency is audible by everyone. I can't raise volume with these ones: although I'm not treble sensitive, highs are like knives to my ears, and sound strange.

When I ordered 1st ones, I received **** UE (only 1 dynamic driver, no BA) instead. Jim sent me the right ones later.
When the order of **** UEs (blue 1) arrived, after a month, they were missed in the package! I had to wait another month for them.
**** UEs (blue 3 and 4) took 66 days to arrive. And blue 4 is defective. If I want a replacement or a refund, I have to wait they check the defective one. I don't want to wait 2 months more.

So I'll never order to NiceHCK anymore (months ago, there were not problems, but pray to not get issues with them now: they use the fools and delay play -you have to repeat your story one hundred times-, they use the post carrier they like, regardless your choice, they mark your order as shipped when it's not, etc., etc.), and I'll never order a **** anymore (it's a lottery).

Now, when a Chinese seller starts calling me "my friend", like the banned seller and Jim use to do, i start shivering because i know it's the beginning of another horrible "friendship".

This explains so much regarding **** and the love/hate impressions we're seeing. 

I don't foresee myself buying any more **** products in the near future. Nor will I be purchasing from NiceHCK anymore since they're left me high and dry. I'm shipping my DT2+ off to another Head-fi'er today to have them take a listen and hopefully confirm my impressions of the pair I have.

Dec 9, 2016 at 1:48 PM Post #4,037 of 33,689
How's the mid bass presence on the Cello's compared to the Pro's?

To me the Pro's has too much mid bass before doing the bassport mod but pretty good with the mod........

Ok after a brief comparison between the Pro and Cello I noticed that it wasn't only mid-bass, bass in general is less pronounced. Bass is still there but not lacking like in the Vivo xe800. I'm not sure if the right word to use is warm so I'll explain with an example. While listening to Logic - Man of the Year; In the Pro the vocals ound lower and darker while the Cello is much more lush and neutral sounding.

Dec 9, 2016 at 2:46 PM Post #4,038 of 33,689
FWIW I received the LZA4 today. Only about an hour of listening. Very good. Will probably burn in 100 hrs and be done. They sound very good OOTB

@Lurk650 How would you describe the sound signature so far? And what's the soundstage/holographic presentation like?

Dec 9, 2016 at 2:53 PM Post #4,039 of 33,689
I'm looking for a new pair of IEMs, under US$10 and on Aliexpress perhaps?
Thought of KZ stuff, or perhaps an Awei ES800M.

I had a Kanen ip808 that now is dead in one ear, and a Gediao GD-1 that has a loose housing.

Dec 9, 2016 at 4:00 PM Post #4,040 of 33,689
@Lurk650
 How would you describe the sound signature so far? And what's the soundstage/holographic presentation like?

Been burning in over night and will be all day so I'll give a better early impression tonight but OOTB with the Black back and Red nozzle, it's well balanced with deep bass, detailed treble with great separation. With this setup the top peak I guess is 15khz before it rolls off. The Red Back and Black Nozzle it rolls off top end at 24000 so it appears to be a bit more vivid because above 15khz is more presented. I prefer the first setup but the second is also very good.

Stage is wide and had good imaging. Will have to pay attention more to depth but overall its very natural sounding.

Dec 9, 2016 at 5:39 PM Post #4,042 of 33,689
2-4 from the date you ordered is the general norm. Sometime is may run a bit longer. China shipping can be wonky and unpredictable. Yes epacket is cheapest. I paid for Express shipping to the USA for my LZA4, ordered last Saturday, arrived in the USA yesterday and I should have them by this Friday or Saturday. Cost me $15

Hmm well hopefully at least the isk's show up next week. Ill know for next time, i also saw alieexpress express shipping not sure who does that one but cost is around $13 usd

Dec 9, 2016 at 7:17 PM Post #4,043 of 33,689
My LZA4 arrived. Won't be home til tonight though
frown.gif

REALLY interested in hearing more about this... might be my first purchase from an Asian vendor, looking at Penon. Never really wanted to buy from outside the UK before in case of any build issues and potential long returns, but the LZ A4 just might be too tempting.... dare i say an end-game IEM.

Dec 9, 2016 at 8:12 PM Post #4,044 of 33,689

I had a Kanen ip808 that now is dead in one ear, and a Gediao GD-1 that has a loose housing.

I did promote the awei ES800M years ago but nowadays there are better options. If it has to be an in ear then go for KZ ATR - ZS3 - ED9 if you have a higher budget you can look for urbanfun.

Dec 9, 2016 at 8:47 PM Post #4,045 of 33,689
REALLY interested in hearing more about this... might be my first purchase from an Asian vendor, looking at Penon. Never really wanted to buy from outside the UK before in case of any build issues and potential long returns, but the LZ A4 just might be too tempting.... dare i say an end-game IEM.

It is very good. I need to find a way to hear at least one TOTL iem that isn't from China just to give me a point of reference personally

Dec 9, 2016 at 9:42 PM Post #4,047 of 33,689

hey you might want to head over to the KZ thread for KZ stuff. 

Increase your budget slightly and get the ZST. Been hearing good stuff about them. not sure about the rest tho

Dec 9, 2016 at 11:10 PM Post #4,049 of 33,689
the newer batches of ZST's are pretty consistent, prolly the earlier batch that is the problem. but well ive yet to cop one myself

Users who are viewing this thread

Back