Chicago Meet Impressions - June 23rd
Jun 24, 2007 at 7:56 PM Post #31 of 90
Sounds like everyone had a great time. Sorry I missed it, but I'm hoping for a late summer meet
wink.gif

Jun 24, 2007 at 8:49 PM Post #32 of 90
Ryan, awesome job hosting. The place was perfect, food was great - an excellent meet.

Todd, I take it the on again - off again love affair with the 701's is now off again? Quote:

I'm going to to get myself an iModed iPod & the ALO iMod cable real soon (as soon as the K701's sell).

I was most impressed with khbaur330162's modded offerings. The hugely woodied CD3000's were pretty astounding for a closed can. And the Ebay special ATH-2's made several people go "what the hell are these???". Humble little cans, mildly modded and delivering an amazing sound. I was pretty astounded.

MSport911 collection of Grado's was pretty cool. It was also his Krell and my Zana that was teamed to make the "he-man" rig at the end of the night. Using the GS-1000 with this setup convinced me I need a pair. Please contribute to the Absorbine_Sr needs expensive cans fund so that my dream can come true!
biggrin.gif

I took some pics, though I know I missed a lot of stuff. Still, I did take more than Ryan....

Skylabs's stash:

623-1.jpg

Can hound! Plus, I think Steve Jobs forgot to mention the paper iPod in his last keynote address....

623-2.jpg

Todd R's toys:

623-3.jpg

Ryan's Moth & Meridian combo - Wet One's provided for drool cleanup!!

623-4.jpg

Gil Schwartzman's dinged but excellent sounding Melos - The K701's loved this amp.

623-5.jpg

Audio Addict's Toys. There's a Raptor hiding back there, and you can also see the impressive new Lunchbox Two.

623-7.jpg

Anyone for Krell? There were Krell & Grado aplenty thanks to MSport911.

623-8.jpg

Skylab and his two wonderful kids. Skylab is finding things to like about Eddie Current tube amps....

Hey, you do realize those kids are gonna be asking for RS1's and GS-1000's and stuff for their birthdays soon, right??

623-9.jpg

Krell + Zana Deux = some damn fine sound. Plus, if you look closely I think we captured that "Roundabout" moment that khbaur330162 mentioned in his earlier post.

623-10.jpg

And finally, I think we can now define overkill - "Will the cell phone drive them?"

623-11.jpg

Once again, it was an excellent meet. I had a blast talking with everyone, listening to their gear and letting them listen to mine.

A_Sr.

Jun 24, 2007 at 9:19 PM Post #33 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by Absorbine_Sr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Todd, I take it the on again - off again love affair with the 701's is now off again?

Between keeping the 701 or getting the iMod, my choice is clear. I'm not rich enough to have that many toys around.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Absorbine_Sr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Skylab and his two wonderful kids.

Hey, you do realize those kids are gonna be asking for RS1's and GS-1000's and stuff for their birthdays soon, right??

Yeah,
His girl told me "I like tubes and want to hear your amp". How many other kids her age would say that?
You're going to be broke!
icon10.gif

BTW, they were polite & well behaved, a real pleasure to have at the meet. Good job dad.
TR

Jun 24, 2007 at 9:19 PM Post #34 of 90
I'm really, really sad that I wasn't able to make it to this meet. Gil was about ready to drive up here and grab me! Looks like you guys had a really fun time, though.

Maybe we'll do something up here in Wisconsin again
wink.gif

Jun 24, 2007 at 9:45 PM Post #36 of 90
That last one is just a bizarre picture. Why am I sedated, chewing on walnuts, and pinching my palm?

Jun 24, 2007 at 10:44 PM Post #40 of 90
Thanks for all the nice comments about my kids, and thanks to all of you for being so accommodating of them. My kids have a genuine love of music, and a real respect for hi-fi gear. But you're all right - they are going to definitely add to the head-fi wallet problem!

As we were heading to the car leaving the meet, my daughter said "daddy, you have GOT to get a giant tube amp". I was so proud I shed a small tear
biggrin.gif

Jun 24, 2007 at 10:58 PM Post #41 of 90
Quote:

Between keeping the 701 or getting the iMod, my choice is clear. I'm not rich enough to have that many toys around.

Hey ToddR, I've been listening the 701s and really couldn't find a good amp for them until a couple of weeks ago when I got a Larocco amp. They are a very good match. My current set up for them is IPOD 5G 60GB Video -> ALO custom Vampire Dock to RCA -> Larocco -> AKG 701. The sound is excellent and I can hear things I never noticed before from my IEMs which I use everyday (UM2s and M5s). Listening right now to the "Once" soundtrack and am really enjoying the music.

Jun 24, 2007 at 11:02 PM Post #42 of 90
A Larocco amp that has the variable bass boost can do WONDERS for the K701.

And actually I was able at the meet to directly compare a K701 with stock cable, and one recabled with ALO audio cable. The recabled K701 sounded MUCH better. SO much so that I could almost live with them
biggrin.gif

Jun 25, 2007 at 1:12 AM Post #43 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As we were heading to the car leaving the meet, my daughter said "daddy, you have GOT to get a giant tube amp". I was so proud I shed a small tear.

Oh my, that is precious.
biggrin.gif
[It's also true, what are you waiting for!?]

Sounds like you guys had a great time. Lots of Grado and Eddie Current love... which sounds about right to me. I would love to hear 003's sextets on the Zana Duex. I'd also have to agree that the Melos was most certainly underdriving the K1000's... not that you can *really* hear them proper at such a large [and I imagine loud] meet.
wink.gif

Jun 25, 2007 at 1:16 AM Post #44 of 90
Yeah, I was so impressed with the little Lunchbox II I just ordered one
biggrin.gif

Jun 25, 2007 at 1:19 AM Post #45 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by acidtripwow /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey ToddR, I've been listening the 701s and really couldn't find a good amp for them until a couple of weeks ago when I got a Larocco amp. They are a very good match. My current set up for them is IPOD 5G 60GB Video -> ALO custom Vampire Dock to RCA -> Larocco -> AKG 701. The sound is excellent and I can hear things I never noticed before from my IEMs which I use everyday (UM2s and M5s). Listening right now to the "Once" soundtrack and am really enjoying the music.

Hey Al,
(Where were you BTW?)
Thanks for the advice, but I've spent enough on the Extreme that I'm done amp hunting for now.
I'd rather find a phone that suites the amp, rather than the other way around.
TR

Users who are viewing this thread

Back