Chicago Meet Impressions - June 23rd
Jun 26, 2007 at 7:58 PM Post #77 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by swt61 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Who knew Krell ever made a headphone amp?

Quote:

Originally Posted by morphsci /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anybody have any comments on the Krell headamp (KAV-5?)? Thanks.

I had that Krell amp for 3 months and I thought it was wonderful. It is one of the nicest SS amps I've heard, but it is expensive $$$.

Different strokes for different folks
cool.gif

Jun 26, 2007 at 9:45 PM Post #79 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by recstar24 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Eh, its okay. I would take any of the current top amps over it. RSA, SP, Eddie Current, Meier, etc - all of their hi end amps to my ears are superior.

Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had that Krell amp for 3 months and I thought it was wonderful. It is one of the nicest SS amps I've heard, but it is expensive $$$.

cool.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by bhd812 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i tried one long time ago..
it was nice and clean, powerful and detailed as krell is.

its a great amp, not sure how much they went for though.

That's why I love head-fi, there's always a concensus
wink.gif
Thanks for the comments, looks like my wallet gets no relief
basshead.gif
. I may have one in the works.

Jun 26, 2007 at 11:54 PM Post #80 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif

cool.gif

Its a Krell Ksa-5,the one immtbiker had was mine on loan.But I had replaced all the caps in it(43 Blackgate NXs & some panasonic in the power supply) & added a Dack volume control.It is a very quick & detailed amp with great resolution.Stock it is a very capable amp,now its a contender againsts all comers.
Origional price was $1500.00.Only a 100 ever made.some without volume controls which mine origionaly came that way.

Jun 27, 2007 at 2:51 AM Post #81 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by bozebuttons /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Its a Krell Ksa-5,the one immtbiker had was mine on loan.But I had replaced all the caps in it(43 Blackgate NXs & some panasonic in the power supply) & added a Dack volume control.It is a very quick & detailed amp with great resolution.Stock it is a very capable amp,now its a contender againsts all comers.
Origional price was $1500.00.Only a 100 ever made.some without volume controls which mine origionaly came that way.

Mmmm ... now my wallet is crying. Not only do I have to buy one to listen to but I'll have to get it modded too.
wink.gif
I've had a line on one for a while but the owner is not sure he wants to sell because it has some hum. You guys have inspired me to drop him an email again. Thanks, I think ...

Jun 27, 2007 at 2:54 AM Post #82 of 90
The Krell KSA-5V headphone amp is unique and something different. Very few were made and were quite expensive back in the mid 1990's and retailed around the $1,500 mark. The KSA-5V was only made in 1995 and the KSA-5 was only made in 1994 (did not have a level control for the volume).

KSA-5V Specifications:

Power:
5 watts per channel @ 8 ohms
10 watts per channel @ 4 ohms

THD:
<0.5% @ 5 watts into 8 ohms
<0.03% with 100 ohm load

Frequency Response:
0.3 Hz to 200 kHz

Gain: 15 dB

Signal To Noise Ratio
>105 dB Unweighted

Power Consumption
30 watts

Connections:
Two 1/4" Locking Headphone Jacks
One set of 5 way Binding Posts

Build:
Like a Krell tank!

Sound:
Smooth, powerful, detailed Krell Sound!

Overall this was one of the top headphone amps back in the day. In comparison to modern SS amps, this amp still holds up, but I would have to favor newer higher-end SS headphone amp offerings today. Nevertheless it is a cool amp to have and makes great conversation!

Enjoy,
MSport911
rs1smile.gif

KrellKSA5VFront1.jpg

KrellKSA5VBack.jpg

Jun 27, 2007 at 3:05 AM Post #83 of 90
Quote:

Hard to say. Though it was feeding my amp, everything else was off spec for me. The combo was assembled late to give MSport911 the chance to hear the Zana Deux with his source. I listened to it with the GS-1000's, in meet conditions (people talking) so I really can't say. It was better than my XRAY v3 (duh!), but was it megabucks better? I can't say. Ryan listened for a bit with his own cans, and he knows the signature of the Zana, so maybe he can add his comments. I will say it was a damn fine sounding combo. And one I'm pretty sure my wallet will never afford!

A_Sr

With all the gear that I brought, and all the discussion I was in on, I only spent a little amount of time listening to some source and amp combos. Of course I can say that my Krell Evolution 505 was the best sounding source at the mini-meet, but I can also give recstar's Meridian G08 a "not too shabby" ratting as well. In the end, I look at it as the best source for your budget and the source that you like best with your amp and your headphones.

Enjoy,
MSport911

Jun 27, 2007 at 1:22 PM Post #84 of 90
I will say, the internals of that Krell amp are impressive. I didn't get to hear it, but my Krell pre-amp is a tremendously good sounding piece.

Jun 29, 2007 at 3:48 AM Post #85 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by swt61 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow! Some great looking gear. Who knew Krell ever made a headphone amp? Hope you guys had as much fun as it looks like you did. I'm saving my pennies for the Chicago HeadFest. Cute kids Skylab.

ditto, x2 -- wish I could have attended. My chance at redemption will likely be the Chicago HeadFest if I'm able to attend...keeping my fingers crossed.

Jun 29, 2007 at 4:28 AM Post #87 of 90
Yep.... Chicago has been announced, but no info yet... probably just a bit early for that....

Jun 29, 2007 at 1:20 PM Post #88 of 90
MSport911...Excellent info. We need more informative posts like yours these days.
cool.gif

Jan 28, 2008 at 3:42 AM Post #90 of 90
I run an event promotion company and am also President of Shadow Entertainment Chicago. I'm interested in running mini or full meets before any entertainment takes the stage on my events.

If anyone is interested, pm me

Users who are viewing this thread

Back