Cheap stock cables still sound good
May 3, 2007 at 5:42 AM Post #76 of 149
Quote:

Originally Posted by Black Stuart /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I presented my arguments based upon actual experiments that I have conducted, so have others. These are the personal opinions that we have found. I like to discuss differences with others who have contrary views to mine based upon their experience, not theories, that surely is the whole purpose of forums like these.

Well, that may have been one of the purposes, but lots of good ideas have externalities associated with them that are somewhat negative. In this instance, the forum that provides an opportunity for discussion by hobbbyists and an exchange of ideas about what sounds good and doesn't sound good, also provides a "platform" for certain folks to advance their anti-audiophile agenda. Just look at the previous posts of some of these guys. Their entire, often brief, posting history is 90% "it's all snake oil," "audiophiles are idiots," "no wire or digital media can sound different," etc., and that's the whole reason they are here. That's the ONLY thing they care about. And a new one comes around every month, acting as if they have something new to present. And they also don't give a hoot about the anti-DBT rule. They violate that with impugnity -- as the rule interferes with the advancement of their agenda.

As a consequence of all this, you find a lot of pretty cool long-time members who used to populate this sub-forum don't even bother anymore. They're just sick of it. It's a shame, but that's life.

Quote:

Too many threads end up as some kind of pathetic pseudo intellectual warfare - and what is learned from this - nothing at all - what a waste of time, the most precious commodity of all.

Absolutely, and the only way to avoid the waste of time is to stop arguing with certain folks. You have to accept the fact that some folks are here not to have fun with the hobby and share things about different listening experiences, but to advance their particular brand of dogma, start arguments, and criticize the folks that they have decided are self-deluded "audiophiles." That's how they get their jollies, as pathetic as that may seem.

So the best thing to do at some point is to let the cucarachas have the run of the house. It's hard to help yourself sometimes, and I have to admit, it's fun to debate these issues with certain folks who are able to present their point of view -- be it "pro" or "con" -- in a somewhat open-minded and non-condescending manner. There are some folks like that. But arguing with a few of these other guys is indeed a waste of time, because they are not interested in an exchange of ideas. They only want to throw pies at your face and laugh.

Be cool, my brutha.
cool.gif

May 3, 2007 at 8:06 AM Post #77 of 149
I've bought my share of cables and I've gotten rid of my share of cables. I bought some Blue Jeans interconnects, but sold them because they made my source sound thin (less bass). I bought some sliver Van der Hul speaker cables and got rid of them because they also made my system sound thin. (And the friend I sold them to got rid of them as well, saying it made his system sound anemic). Now I'm talking immediately hearing the change in the sound switching between cables. I don't understand how people can say there is no difference. I'm not an audio snob (I think you'd have to be insane to spend more than $30 on a set of audio connects), but I have a good revealing system (Spica TC-50 speakers) and the difference in some cabling was immediately and obviously there. But it's not a magical event. I think some cables just transmit more or less lower frequencies more effectively ( or perhaps more or less high frequencies). A couple of my good cables came free in the box with equipment. So I'm no snob, that's for sure. But I do believe upgrading cables can make a difference, even though stock cables may just sometimes be perfect.

May 3, 2007 at 10:23 AM Post #78 of 149
If you're purely audiophile, you will still enjoy your music from a merely, adequate set-up.. but if you start to refuse to listen to music if it is not going thru a thousands-of-dollar priced amp and hundreds and hundreds of dollars of cabling, you've become what is called a TECHNOPHILE!!

In conclusion, if you enjoy it, then stick with it.. If you want something more, then spend some more, or less.. but don't take it as if you need high-end hundred- or thousand-dollar cables and interconnects to enjoy your music.. but then again, if you've got the money, why not?
tongue.gif

PS. there's nothing wrong with technophiles, but i think many head-fiers agree that this forum is for audiophiles (music lovers)

May 3, 2007 at 2:27 PM Post #79 of 149
Quote:

Originally Posted by chadbang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But it's not a magical event. I think some cables just transmit more or less lower frequencies more effectively ( or perhaps more or less high frequencies).

If the wire itself has not been changed by adding capacitance and or inductance, then how can it be anything other than magic that changes the sound. Plain wire of a good gauge does not have enough capacitance and or inductance to change the audio frequencies going thru it. I have no doubt that some wire people do added capacitance to the wire to change the sound, and the big word is Change, that is not the idea behind HI-FI.

TheOnlyOne

May 3, 2007 at 4:40 PM Post #81 of 149
Common sense is not an "anti-audiophile agenda".

An audiophile is someone who knows how to get great sound out of equipment, not someone who knows how to spend five times too much on stuff that makes absolutely no difference at all.

See ya
Steve

May 3, 2007 at 5:44 PM Post #82 of 149
Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnFerrier /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The topic is stock cables. What is your experiece with stock versus aftermarket cables?

Tell me what you'd like to know and I'll be happy to answer. The initial topic references IC's. Are you asking for my experience with stock interconnects only, or with all types of stock cables? And if you're asking about stock IC's, do you mean the cheap interconnects come in the box with your DVD player, or something more substantial (e.g., Radio Shack IC's)?

May 3, 2007 at 6:04 PM Post #83 of 149
Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Tell me what you'd like to know and I'll be happy to answer.

How about headphone cables, say stock Sennheiser versus Zu cable. You've already agreed that the stock Sennheiser cable is more flexible, less microphonic, and more reliable, correct? (New members may have missed that you sent your aftermarket Zu cable back for repair, and have since sold the cable.) Without vague notions, how specifically does an aftermarket headphone cable sound differently than the stock headphone cable?

May 3, 2007 at 6:06 PM Post #84 of 149
Quote:

How about headphone cables, say stock Sennheiser versus Zu cable. You've already agreed that the stock Sennheiser cable is more flexible, less microphonic, and more reliable, correct? (New members may have missed that you sent your aftermarket Zu cable back for repair, and have since sold the cable.) Without vague notions, how specifically does an aftermarket headphone cable sound differently than the stock headphone cable?

Voltron has done an excellent write up on the different Sennheiser replacement cables:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=155077

all you need is search
wink.gif

May 3, 2007 at 6:52 PM Post #86 of 149
Quote:

I never owned the Zu. I had the Silver Dragon cable for the HD650. I never had any problems with microphonics. As to flexibility, it was not an issue for me. Frankly, the thickness of the cable made it easier to deal with than the thin, wiry Senn stock cable. As to reliability, I can't make a judgment one way or the other based on my experience, as the "sample size" is, of course, much too small to conclude anything.

However, I preferred the sound of the stock cable in my setup to the Silver Dragon. The sounds was a little bit richer or fuller at the bottom end up to the lower mid-range, and I did not lose any detail on the top end as I suspected I might. That is why I sold the Silver Dragon. Frankly, if it was just up to ergonomics and the "cool" factor, I would have kept the SD. But several trials made it clear to me that the stock Senn cable sounded better in my setup.

May 3, 2007 at 7:53 PM Post #87 of 149
Quote:

I never owned the Zu. I had the Silver Dragon cable for the HD650. I never had any problems with microphonics. As to flexibility, it was not an issue for me. Frankly, the thickness of the cable made it easier to deal with than the thin, wiry Senn stock cable. As to reliability, I can't make a judgment one way or the other based on my experience, as the "sample size" is, of course, much too small to conclude anything.

However, I preferred the sound of the stock cable in my setup to the Silver Dragon. The sounds was a little bit richer or fuller at the bottom end up to the lower mid-range, and I did not lose any detail on the top end as I suspected I might. That is why I sold the Silver Dragon. Frankly, if it was just up to ergonomics and the "cool" factor, I would have kept the SD. But several trials made it clear to me that the stock Senn cable sounded better in my setup.

My mistake. I think it was JaZZ with the Zu cable (and that was sent back for repair because of a bad channel). Your Silver Dragon was sent back to be repaired for another reason. I'll admit doing listening comparisons are tricky. I think that it is too easy to be fooled. When I read other people's reviews, I don't see anything quantitative, something beyond the imagined. Fellow "cable believer" Hirsch indicates that he can not rule out that the differences aren't merely imagined. http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showth...19#post2418819

May 3, 2007 at 8:11 PM Post #88 of 149
Quote:

Absolutely, and the only way to avoid the waste of time is to stop arguing with certain folks. You have to accept the fact that some folks are here not to have fun with the hobby and share things about different listening experiences, but to advance their particular brand of dogma, start arguments, and criticize the folks that they have decided are self-deluded "audiophiles."

On the other hand, there are many people here who are here to have fun with the hobby and to share things about their listening experiences, who happen to have a good faith belief that (a) cables do not make a difference, and/or (b) to the extent that cables make a difference, the difference that they make is not significant enough to justify spending a substantial sum on the cable rather than on some other part of the system. Those people should be able to express their opinions without being attacked on a personal level, or having those opinions tagged with loaded phases like "dogma."

Quote:

To ask someone if they have ever had a professional hearing test seems eminently sensible and rational for someone who can detect no difference in cables when so many can.

No. I that very same run-on sentence, you put his character into question and attacked his "mentality." That is simply uncalled for. If you disagree, say so. Ad hominem attack does not advance your argument or make his any more or less persuasive.

May 3, 2007 at 8:24 PM Post #89 of 149
Quote:

Originally Posted by meat01 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is funny coming from the guy who chose to ignore my post and later make fun of it when I actually tested something and posted my real world results. If this isn't the pot calling the kettle black, I don't know what is.

Meat, the reason why I said I will ignore your comment is because I was afraid that, the thread that I started will be turn into another heated "cable makes a difference, or not" thread. Because there are simply way too many similar thread like this one that give OP almost no info besides the first few pages. The rest is just the same old debate.

May 3, 2007 at 8:32 PM Post #90 of 149
Quote:

Originally Posted by Febs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
On the other hand, there are many people here who are here to have fun with the hobby and to share things about their listening experiences, who happen to have a good faith belief that (a) cables do not make a difference, and/or (b) to the extent that cables make a difference, the difference that they make is not significant enough to justify spending a substantial sum on the cable rather than on some other part of the system. Those people should be able to express their opinions without being attacked on a personal level, or having those opinions tagged with loaded phases like "dogma."

I agree, and I'm not talking about those folks, or suggesting that they are being "dogmatic." I was ONLY referring to certain people.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back