Cayin RU7: 1-Bit Resistor Network Dongle DAC /Amp
Mar 13, 2024 at 8:11 PM Post #2,086 of 2,133
Well my ibasso splitter cable got here and luckily it fits. Was not sure because the battery sticks a bit out from the bottom of the iphone but luckily it works. Not sure how long the cable will last though since the ru7 is hanging off of it. But it seems pliable enough. The sound to me seems to be louder more dynamic and more impactful. Have only tried with 64 setting.
Really looking forward to trying this with the arya organic in a few months.
Greetings, Anouk,

Mar 14, 2024 at 5:24 PM Post #2,090 of 2,133
I just bought RU7 and while I love it, I have a question... does the setting get lost when I disconnect ? I primarily use its LO (line out) to feed to a desktop amplifier, but whenever I reconnect RU7 to the source (thus powering on again), the previous setting of Lo is lost and it is set to PO (phone out). Does anyone have the same experience ? Is there a way to make LO permanent?

Mar 14, 2024 at 5:41 PM Post #2,092 of 2,133
I just bought RU7 and while I love it, I have a question... does the setting get lost when I disconnect ? I primarily use its LO (line out) to feed to a desktop amplifier, but whenever I reconnect RU7 to the source (thus powering on again), the previous setting of Lo is lost and it is set to PO (phone out). Does anyone have the same experience ? Is there a way to make LO permanent?
I don't believe it's possible to have it stay in LO mode, to prevent anyone damaging their hearing if they plug in IEMs forgetting that it is in LO mode. You could just leave it in HP mode at a suitable volume level. It wont harm anything.
Is the RU7 worth as a Desktop Dac combined with a powerful headphone amp?
It's going to be about as good a DAC as anything in that price range can be. It'll just be somewhat smoother-sounding than typical, cheap ESS or AKM-based DACs at that price are.

Mar 14, 2024 at 5:54 PM Post #2,093 of 2,133
I don't believe it's possible to have it stay in LO mode, to prevent anyone damaging their hearing if they plug in IEMs forgetting that it is in LO mode. You could just leave it in HP mode at a suitable volume level. It wont harm anything.

It's going to be about as good a DAC as anything in that price range can be. It'll just be somewhat smoother-sounding than typical, cheap ESS or AKM-based DACs at that price are.
Thank you very much for your response! I'm in the situation of looking for a suitable Dac that has everything I need for my stationary headphone setup without spending a lot of money and thought this one, paired with a separate amp, would be a good alternative. Otherwise, could you think of a better stationary Dac for $400?

Mar 14, 2024 at 7:13 PM Post #2,094 of 2,133
Is the RU7 worth as a Desktop Dac combined with a powerful headphone amp?
I use it as my desktop DAC and amp. Then I unplug it to bring with me to use on the go / traveling if I don't feel like bringing my Sony DAP or FiiO BTR7.

Mar 15, 2024 at 8:18 AM Post #2,095 of 2,133
Thank you very much for your response! I'm in the situation of looking for a suitable Dac that has everything I need for my stationary headphone setup without spending a lot of money and thought this one, paired with a separate amp, would be a good alternative. Otherwise, could you think of a better stationary Dac for $400?
It'd definitely work if you need more power than the built-in headphone amp. I think @Click has the right idea in that he's using it where it's most convenient.

Arguably as you don't have to pay for a large metal case etc. a good dongle DAC like the RU-7 could potentially be better value. It has been a while since I compared, but an RU6 is somewhat equivalent to a Schiit Modi Multibit, both in price (last I checked) and sound quality. I should compare them, now I think of it.

Mar 22, 2024 at 7:10 PM Post #2,097 of 2,133
My second RU-7's 4.4mm Balanced female plug has bit the dust. I will not be buying another RU-7 until something is fixed here.

When my first one bit the dust, I was told it was because I use primarily Pentaconn connectors and they are just a tad larger than Sony/all other plugs. I have multiple other devices that use 4.4mm plugs and this is the first that has had issues, multiple issues across different units.

Beware buyers. SERIOUSLY beware if you plug a Pentaconn 4.4mm into it, the female plug has a very high chance of failure.

I love Cayin products but this one is a no go for me anymore. 2/2 failure :frowning2: :frowning2:

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2024 at 8:45 PM Post #2,098 of 2,133
My second RU-7's 4.4mm Balanced female plug has bit the dust. I will not be buying another RU-7 until something is fixed here.

When my first one bit the dust, I was told it was because I use primarily Pentaconn connectors and they are just a tad larger than Sony/all other plugs. I have multiple other devices that use 4.4mm plugs and this is the first that has had issues, multiple issues across different units.

Beware buyers. SERIOUSLY beware if you plug a Pentaconn 4.4mm into it, the female plug has a very high chance of failure.

I love Cayin products but this one is a no go for me anymore. 2/2 failure :frowning2: :frowning2:
Isn't Pentaconn / Sony implementated 4.4 balanced standards? If Pentaconn made 4.4 had issues, then the rest of 4.4 is not standard?!
Don't makes any sense.

Mar 22, 2024 at 8:55 PM Post #2,099 of 2,133
Isn't Pentaconn / Sony implementated 4.4 balanced standards? If Pentaconn made 4.4 had issues, then the rest of 4.4 is not standard?!
Don't makes any sense.
It is the gold plated casing that is inside the RU7 4.4mm female plug. It is thin and is susceptible to cracking. My first one cracked on both sides and could be pulled out. My current RU7 just cracked and now there is a piece rattling inside the unit. It took a fair bit of finagling to actually get my Effect Audio cable plug out. I was quite concerned for a bit.

Not anymore. I will not be buying a 3rd, this is an issue with the how it is constructed unfortunately.

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2024 at 8:58 PM Post #2,100 of 2,133

I had 2 fail as well.
First one lasted about a month. Second one lasted 4 days.
I’m curious what your failure symptoms were?
Mine just stopped powering on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back