Cayin N5 DAP - Product Info (Post #2), Resources (Post #3) and Discussion
Oct 10, 2015 at 3:29 AM Post #782 of 2,546
One thing that is annoying about the Cayin is that if I improperly tag a file and want to change it, it won't let me.

I cannot delete the file and put the properly tagged one in.  It just says "File Deletion Failed" (it won't let me delete files period even though it has a trash button????) if I do it on the player.  

And when I delete the file manually from the SD card, it STILL shows up.

Whats going on?

It is very strange.  You'd think deleting the file all together would solve the issue.

The only way i've been able to rectify this issue is by reformatting the card all together.

Just takes a lot of time just to get ONE song tagged properly.

@Andykong
 and company's help would be appreciated.

But other than that....amazing player.

EDIT:  I'm going to try "erasing the free space" on the micro sd  but i'm guessing that won't solve it either

Need to clarify some detail before I comment. When you said properly tagged, do you mean tag the song as "My Flavourite"? I don't have N5 with me right now not be completely accurate, but from what I recall, N5 do not edit the metadata in the music file, it just add a My Flavouite tag which in fact is a simple list stored somewhere in the machine.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Oct 10, 2015 at 4:42 AM Post #783 of 2,546
@Andykong

I'll put it more simply:
When I delete songs on the N5, they still show up. 

Even when I update the library.
The trash can function doesn't work eaither. But thats not important right now.

Oct 10, 2015 at 9:43 AM Post #784 of 2,546
@Andykong

I'll put it more simply:
When I delete songs on the N5, they still show up. 

Even when I update the library.
The trash can function doesn't work eaither. But thats not important right now.

I see, will report this to after sales and Engineering to follow up, if they can repeat the problem, we should be able to fix it in through firmware update. :wink_face:

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Oct 10, 2015 at 3:40 PM Post #785 of 2,546
Doing some listening this afternoon. I like the tightness and control the N5 has with EDM and Gaga.

20151010_142755_zpsbw6wtuv4.jpg

Oct 10, 2015 at 7:27 PM Post #787 of 2,546
I've read this sounds bright, engaging and detailed but is it not artificially bright and fatiguing? I need a dap that I can listen to for extended periods without hurting my ears even if I turn the volume a bit more. i like well extended treble but not peaky and plasticky in sound. Most of all, bass must be present if needed with that slam and punchiness.

Oct 10, 2015 at 8:40 PM Post #788 of 2,546
I've read this sounds bright, engaging and detailed but is it not artificially bright and fatiguing? I need a dap that I can listen to for extended periods without hurting my ears even if I turn the volume a bit more. i like well extended treble but not peaky and plasticky in sound. Most of all, bass must be present if needed with that slam and punchiness.

I do not hear it as bright, it's more neutral smooth, leaning a bit toward warmish.  As a matter of fact, N6 sounds brighter in comparison to N5.

For those who are used to budget warm daps or rockboxed mp3 players with darker sound sig or "warmer" smartphones, a more revealing/detailed nature of N5 sound will be brighter in comparison.  But when you put it against other quality mid-fi and summit-fi DAPs, N5 is not bright
wink.gif

Oct 10, 2015 at 8:47 PM Post #789 of 2,546
Yeah, Twister is probably right. There has to be brighter-sounding DAPs out there. Personally, I have never heard a DAP that is brighter than the N5. Both the X5 and AK120ii are warmer, by far.

I have not listened to the N5 for extended periods, but I do fear fatigue. When you compare it to the X5 Classic, it is a notably harsher. Compared to the AK120ii, both the X5 and the N5 are a LOT harsher. :)

Oct 10, 2015 at 9:08 PM Post #790 of 2,546
Yeah, Twister is probably right. There has to be brighter-sounding DAPs out there. Personally, I have never heard a DAP that is brighter than the N5. Both the X5 and AK120ii are warmer, by far.

I have not listened to the N5 for extended periods, but I do fear fatigue. When you compare it to the X5 Classic, it is a notably harsher. Compared to the AK120ii, both the X5 and the N5 are a LOT harsher.
smily_headphones1.gif

AK120ii is neutral-warm, a more analog thicker sound.  And of course, your headphones sound sig and synergy with your DAP (in conjunction with impedance matching) will play a big role in what you are hearing.

Here is a big problem, all the headphones and DAPs with their sound signature are NOT how a sound actually supposed to be but rather how manufacturer interprets it with their sound signature tuning.  When you go to the concert to hear acoustic performance of orchestra in auditorium with natural acoustics/reverb and no PA system with their amps and speakers - you hear a natural timbre of instruments.  That is a natural organic sound which is so far away from all these bright revealing headphones and audio sources which supposed to have an audiophile quality with their micro-details to reveal ever single nuance, while in reality making sound more artificial.  Thus, it makes it so hard to find a natural reference for comparison...  That is why you hear so much lately about Dr Olive at Harman and his research about natural frequency response: http://seanolive.blogspot.com/2014/10/at-recent-137th-convention-of-audio.html , and why Tyll at Innerfidelity constantly references it in his measurements.  But anyway...

I'm testing now Luxury & Precision L5 Pro DAP and ran into a similar issue where it sounds very similar to AK120ii, so I'm scratching my head if it's a neutral sound, or neutral-warm or warm in comparison to my other brighter DAP.  All our reviews and impressions are highly subjective, leaving it up to our own interpretation
wink.gif
  Thus, I would pay more attention to relative comparison, at least if you have one DAP (and intimately familiar with it) and someone says the other one is brighter or warmer in comparison - you will have a better idea how it sounds

Oct 10, 2015 at 9:34 PM Post #791 of 2,546
Yes. I'm writing my review of the N5, and I find it much easier to talk about by comparing it to the X5 Classic. That's a solid reference point, since they share so much in common and I'm so very familiar with it. Against the AK120ii, the N5 doesn't make much since. So I'll write only a little bit about that comparison in the final review.

Oct 11, 2015 at 12:10 AM Post #792 of 2,546
Is cayin able to enable balance line out? As I intend to hook it up to my alo continental dual mono. Currently I'm using volume 90 in balance to hook up to the amp as any higher will cause distortion

Thanks

Oct 11, 2015 at 7:48 PM Post #794 of 2,546
How does the n5 compare to the colorfly c4 in terms of sound quality. I mean even though it is a few years older which one is superior just in sound quality?????

I would fully expect the Colorfly to beat the Cayin N5. I haven't heard the C4, but the reviews (and price) put it in a different class altogether.

My experience with the N5 is that it performs quite squarely within its price range. It's competition is the X5 and DX90, with which is stands neck and neck. Don't buy this DAP expecting it to outperform devices in the $500-$1000 range.

I mean, you can, if you want, but it will disappoint you. The N5 is not a miracle, just a really decent audio player for the price.

Oct 11, 2015 at 10:05 PM Post #795 of 2,546
Hi,

I'm new to this high quality audio thing.  I just purchased the N5 through Amazon and now I need to buy a SD card for the player.

Can someone send me a link to the SD card I should buy (preferably Amazon or Ebay link).

All these different class cards, transfer speeds, etc.....  Too much crap to figure out which one to buy.

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back