Cayin N5 DAP - Product Info (Post #2), Resources (Post #3) and Discussion
Aug 24, 2015 at 2:46 PM Post #376 of 2,546
So exciting.

Aug 25, 2015 at 12:12 AM Post #378 of 2,546
Looks like everyone here wants to catch up with the N5 status. No problem, lets take a look at the latest progress:

These photo were taken when the first batch of N5 were going through the assembly line:

The FIRST N5 under aging and QA procedure before we pack it up

The FIRST N5 batch ready to dispatch:

The first batch of N5 was out of our factory yesterday afternoon, most of them were store demos, with only a handful to customer directly. I am keeping an eye on the Unit 001 as it is on its way to a very special customer in Hángzhōu, will keep you all posted when the Unit 001 arrived at the doorstep of the first N5 owner, so please stay tune. :D :D

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Aug 25, 2015 at 12:46 AM Post #379 of 2,546
I can add some more pictures, coz one of those babies at Andykong's photo was mine and after 5 days of unpatient waiting I've got it today

At the first impression N5's appearance is outstanding, it looks much better in reality in comparing with the pictures view.
Also It feels really nice and very comfy.

Short unboxing
It comes in a black box, front side has no any content except the Cayin logo

There is some common information about release on the back side (which you can see above also)

My serial here is edited coz i am an paranoid i do know why, sorry,
Anyway it is not numero uno.

This thread hero itself

Front view (there is factory protection film on the screen)

Back view

Some embedded manual on the screen

I must say the screen is really good, i still have no idea about how it is good under sunlight, but first feelings are very positive.

There is another small black box laying inder N5

Here we can find some additional stuff, few accessories, like silicone case, flat USB 3 cable, SPDIF adapter, protection film for display, few papers, like manual etc

In addition, small size battle with iRiver H340, which i use before really a lot of time

Inspite of Cayin N5 looks bigger, and actually it really is, however it feels totally different coz it is twice thinner and also it's lighter.

All i can say right now i am almost happy.
I got what i want.

As for now there is missing the only one teeny tiny detail, which is everybody's concern - the sound quality.

Aug 25, 2015 at 1:13 AM Post #382 of 2,546
@Andykong

any info regarding the 2.5mm balanced pinout for N5? and what happens with the white version

this one

The pin definition of N5 Balanced HO out are as follows:

This is compatible with AK's 2.5mm headphone output, so you should be able to find aftermarket cable to change your headphone to take advantage of N5's balanced headphone feature ... that is if your IEM are cable changeable design to start with.

Our initial plan was to produce N5 in Titanium Gray and Champagne Gold, but after we reviewed the final CNC sample, we designed to go for Titanium Gray immediately and put off the Champagne Gold for the moment. I have seen the sample in person and I must say that is a good decision as the Gray does look exceptional improved when compare to previous photo/sample.

Aug 25, 2015 at 2:01 AM Post #383 of 2,546
I can add some more pictures, coz one of those babies at Andykong's photo was mine and after 5 days of unpatient waiting I've got it today

At the first impression N5's appearance is outstanding, it looks much better in reality in comparing with the pictures view.
Also It feels really nice and very comfy.

Short unboxing

It comes in a black back, front side has no any content except the Cayin logo

There is some common information about release on the back side (which you can see above also)

My serial here is edited coz i am an paranoid i do know why, sorry,
Anyway it is not numero uno.

This thread hero itself

Front view (there is factory protection film on the screen)

Back view

Some embedded manual on the screen

I must say the screen is really good, i still have no idea about how it is good under sunlight, but first feelings are very positive.

There is another small black box laying inder N5

Here we can find some additional stuff, few accessories, like silicone case, flat USB 3 cable, SPDIF adapter, protection film for display, few papers, like manual etc

In addition, small size battle with iRiver H340, which i use before really a lot of time

Inspite of Cayin N5 looks bigger, and actually it really is, however it feels totally different coz it is twice thinner and also it's lighter.

All i can say right now i am almost happy.

I got what i want.

As for now there is missing the only one teeny tiny detail, which is everybody's concern - the sound quality.

Good for you, so the first ever N5 open box happened in HeadFi, and we put all those China local forums in dust, very interesting.

For the record, this is what you should received with N5 package, if anything is missing, drop me a line and I'll see what I can do.

Aug 25, 2015 at 3:10 AM Post #387 of 2,546
It's available on shenzhenaudio for $350 with free shipping now, and damn if it isn't looking amazing, I wasn't in the market for a dap, but I might be now. Bal out at that price is sweet.

Aug 25, 2015 at 5:02 AM Post #388 of 2,546
Good for you, so the first ever N5 open box happened in HeadFi, and we put all those China local forums in dust, very interesting.

For the record, this is what you should received with N5 package, if anything is missing, drop me a line and I'll see what I can do.

Thanks for your concern, this is exactly what i got.
Actually, even one thing is missing at your picture - it's micro sd card which goes with default package.
Maybe it is not permanent proposition, and just for beginning promotion.
From other side the Cayin store personell was implying as for small gift to first buyers, so i am wandering if it is true and what ever it could be.

Small update.
Device is perfectly working with San Disk Ultra card 64GB, content navigation is really easy, control button are pretty sensitive, and there is no any delay to respond to the action.
Due to form factor of N5, the player easily can be placed in a pants pocket with no big issues after
Display and sun are not best friends. So it demands some efforts and kind of shadow to see what is on the screen under direct sunlight.

Aug 25, 2015 at 12:01 PM Post #389 of 2,546
Thanks for your concern, this is exactly what i got.
Actually, even one thing is missing at your picture - it's micro sd card which goes with default package.
Maybe it is not permanent proposition, and just for beginning promotion.
From other side the Cayin store personell was implying as for small gift to first buyers, so i am wandering if it is true and what ever it could be.

Small update.
Device is perfectly working with San Disk Ultra card 64GB, content navigation is really easy, control button are pretty sensitive, and there is no any delay to respond to the action.
Due to form factor of N5, the player easily can be placed in a pants pocket with no big issues after
Display and sun are not best friends. So it demands some efforts and kind of shadow to see what is on the screen under direct sunlight.

Interesting, I believe Cayin's standard 2099 RMB package only comes with 32GB TF card, did you purchase from Cayin's taobao shop or from a TB shop near where you are stationed?

Both N5 and N6 use 2.4" IPS screen at 400x360, this is considered as High Resolution for 2.4" screen size as the more popular choice is 320x240 only, and non-IPS at that resolution. You can turn up the brightness of the screen at the setup menu, at full power, the screen is readable at outdoor, but it will consume more batter, and you'll have a hard time to adjust the setting under direct sunlight, that is kind of a common problem to all TFT LED screen.

Aug 25, 2015 at 2:13 PM Post #390 of 2,546
Andykong

My choice was another package for 2339 RMB which goes with 32+64.

As for brightness, yes, i did level up to the max, but summer in Shenzhen is very cruel and sun is pretty harsh.
Since it is hot outside and player gets warm during playback, i prefer do not keep it under direct sunlight at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back