Cayin N5 DAP - Product Info (Post #2), Resources (Post #3) and Discussion
Sep 1, 2016 at 11:32 PM Post #2,146 of 2,546
To determine whether this is a battery (hardware) problem or a software problem, I'll suggest you perform a battery life test, then we'll figure out the more appropriate solution to your case.

While Lithium battery does not have memory effect, you do need to calibrate the gauge occasionally. I normally do this after 15-20 charging cycle (2 times 50% charging is count as one cycle) An inaccurate gauge can lead to the fact that the the battery capacity values are are wrong. The battery may report that it still has reasonable capacity when in fact it has a much lower value, and this causes the computer to shutdown unexpectedly. You can google the terms "Calibrate Gauge" on Lithium Battery.

To calibrate the gauge of a lithium battery, you simply need to do a full discharge followed by a full charge, so this is what I advice:

(1) turn on the LED screen to maximum brightness and set the screen to "always on", keep it running until the player turn off itself.
(2) Charge the battery overnight, till you see 99% or 100% on the meter
(3) Set the screen to minimum brightness and 30sec duration only, set it to playback on any CD quality files (Wav or FLAC) continuously til the player power off again. Keep the screen off and check the battery reading every hour, and drop down the battery readings for record.

Hopefully the duration and accuracy of battery reading will go back to an acceptable level after the calibration. If not, we'll have some data to determine if this is a hardware problem or a software problem.

Thank you for a suggestion. I will try this over the weekend.

Sep 2, 2016 at 4:42 AM Post #2,147 of 2,546
With great pleasure, we would like to announce MusicTeck from New Jersey as our new US authorized seller. They will carry the complete Personal Audio products from Cayin, including the N5 DAP. We have dispatched their first order already and Musicteck will update their website as soon as they have received our products. US customers who are interested in N5 DAP can contact Musicteck for more detail. :beerchug:

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Sep 2, 2016 at 9:56 AM Post #2,148 of 2,546
This is great news. Nice to see a US authorized seller. Looks like it is already up in their online store: https://shop.musicteck.com/collections/cayin/products/cayin-spark-n5-hifi-portable-music-player-dsd-lossless-music-player

Sep 2, 2016 at 12:13 PM Post #2,149 of 2,546
Hi Headfiers,
Just wanted to know if anyone else has a problem with playing thru folders ( Artists,Album,Songs) on the latest FW, yes I have the " folder operation" option on. It does nothing, all I get is when I select an artist it just plays thru the first album and to play the next I have to do it manually. I have tried from the music folder as well as the side bar with the same results,nada. Did there use to be a bottom bar as well ? If so I have seen to have misplaced it or it found its way to another DAP. This is a real curmudgeon ( yes I  said it) for me.
Some help or alot of help would be appreciated and I will name my next pet in your honor. Woo- hoo!!
Thanks
Bruce

Sep 5, 2016 at 2:02 PM Post #2,150 of 2,546
  Hi Headfiers,
Just wanted to know if anyone else has a problem with playing thru folders ( Artists,Album,Songs) on the latest FW, yes I have the " folder operation" option on. It does nothing, all I get is when I select an artist it just plays thru the first album and to play the next I have to do it manually. I have tried from the music folder as well as the side bar with the same results,nada. Did there use to be a bottom bar as well ? If so I have seen to have misplaced it or it found its way to another DAP. This is a real curmudgeon ( yes I  said it) for me.
Some help or alot of help would be appreciated and I will name my next pet in your honor. Woo- hoo!!
Thanks
Bruce

there is no problem for me

Sep 6, 2016 at 9:11 PM Post #2,153 of 2,546
Hello all. I'm really interested in this dap and i've read most of the thread.
But i still have a question.
For instance, when you play a live album (flac 16 44.1) it's totally gapless or it's possible to hear anything/gap in transitions between the tracks?
Thank you in advance.

Sep 7, 2016 at 2:59 PM Post #2,154 of 2,546
Hello all. I'm really interested in this dap and i've read most of the thread.
But i still have a question.
For instance, when you play a live album (flac 16 44.1) it's totally gapless or it's possible to hear anything/gap in transitions between the tracks?
Thank you in advance.

If I don't mistake, Cayin N5 has gapless but you may hear a "click" when it changes track (the sound does not come from the earphones but from the player itself, so you may also not hear it).

I do not own the player myself so I cannot confirm, but please see that page in the same thread.

Sep 7, 2016 at 4:41 PM Post #2,155 of 2,546
If I don't mistake, Cayin N5 has gapless but you may hear a "click" when it changes track (the sound does not come from the earphones but from the player itself, so you may also not hear it).

I do not own the player myself so I cannot confirm, but please see that page in the same thread.

Thank you very much for your reply.

Sep 7, 2016 at 6:16 PM Post #2,156 of 2,546
I just bought N5 from a headfier here. I am enjoying it, and learning as well. The operation interface isn't as straight forward as it can be, but that is what I anticipated before the purchase. To me, as long as it plays music to its spec, I don't mind a learning curve

Just a quick questions to those who might know, during playback, is there a quick one-button-click way to return to the home page, where one can navigate between category, library, playing now, etc?

Thanks.

Sep 7, 2016 at 6:40 PM Post #2,157 of 2,546
  I just bought N5 from a headfier here. I am enjoying it, and learning as well. The operation interface isn't as straight forward as it can be, but that is what I anticipated before the purchase. To me, as long as it plays music to its spec, I don't mind a learning curve

Just a quick questions to those who might know, during playback, is there a quick one-button-click way to return to the home page, where one can navigate between category, library, playing now, etc?

Thanks.

Yes. Just press and hold the return button. Its the top button on the front above the forward and back buttons.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back