Cayin N5 DAP - Product Info (Post #2), Resources (Post #3) and Discussion
Sep 20, 2016 at 11:03 PM Post #2,177 of 2,546
My first post to Head-fi...

After spending much of the last two days reading hundreds of posts on a number of sites, dozens of reviews, and lots of opinions, I placed my N5 order today. Given my research I feel pretty confident in my choice.

I started out leaning towards the X5ii but just couldn't see being happy with that scroll wheel. My $$ commitment wavered from $200 to $800 in hopes of finding a nice unit. With a deeper wallet I'd likely choose the PAW Gold but that's a moot point. On the other hand I’m not fully commited to spending >$500 on any player until I have converted my entire 250GB music library to HD, a not insignificant process. I prefer tactile buttons over a touch screen every day of the week. Thank you Cayin for making such a nice unit with analogue controls.

The thing which stands out regarding reviews for the N5 seems unique in comparison to reviews I read for other models. What I mean to say is the vast majority of users have good things to say about it, and the dislikes varied quite a bit (never major with the exception of the Balanced output hissing using sensitive IEMs). This tells me that Cayin has done a very good job of designing the physical unit as well as the combination of audio components, and successfully blending them into a winning package. Top that off with the sq improving over 200 hours and it just gets better. Throw in the not inconsiderable effort Cayin puts into continually upgrading firmware and it was a no brainer to choose the N5….. I was happy to part with my cash.

I look forward to posting once I’ve had some time to learn it. Having much of my sound library sitting in my hand and sounding this good seems almost a dream. Yay!

I’m also up for suggestions for tagging and playlist software for Mac.

Cheers All,
PJ

Sep 21, 2016 at 2:49 AM Post #2,178 of 2,546
My first post to Head-fi...

After spending much of the last two days reading hundreds of posts on a number of sites, dozens of reviews, and lots of opinions, I placed my N5 order today. Given my research I feel pretty confident in my choice.

I started out leaning towards the X5ii but just couldn't see being happy with that scroll wheel. My $$ commitment wavered from $200 to $800 in hopes of finding a nice unit. With a deeper wallet I'd likely choose the PAW Gold but that's a moot point. On the other hand I’m not fully commited to spending >$500 on any player until I have converted my entire 250GB music library to HD, a not insignificant process. I prefer tactile buttons over a touch screen every day of the week. Thank you Cayin for making such a nice unit with analogue controls.

The thing which stands out regarding reviews for the N5 seems unique in comparison to reviews I read for other models. What I mean to say is the vast majority of users have good things to say about it, and the dislikes varied quite a bit (never major with the exception of the Balanced output hissing using sensitive IEMs). This tells me that Cayin has done a very good job of designing the physical unit as well as the combination of audio components, and successfully blending them into a winning package. Top that off with the sq improving over 200 hours and it just gets better. Throw in the not inconsiderable effort Cayin puts into continually upgrading firmware and it was a no brainer to choose the N5….. I was happy to part with my cash.

I look forward to posting once I’ve had some time to learn it. Having much of my sound library sitting in my hand and sounding this good seems almost a dream. Yay!

I’m also up for suggestions for tagging and playlist software for Mac.

Cheers All,
PJ

Thanks PJ for your recognition and kind support, we are looking forwards to your impression and sharing.

Cayin is a new player in the portable audio market, we might not be as resourceful as other leaders in the field, and we might bump into "accidents" here and there, but we stand behind our products, that I can promised with confident. :beerchug:

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Sep 21, 2016 at 12:21 PM Post #2,180 of 2,546
I have tried turning this option on and off and it still will not work, i have my music set up as , artist,album,song and it wont go folder to folder unless i do it manually. On latest firmware, used win 10 for file mngt. Need help,

it goes page by page?

Sep 21, 2016 at 1:24 PM Post #2,182 of 2,546
Sorry, forgot to mention that this issue was in play mode, when i try to play all albums from one artist such as " The Alabama Shakes" it will only play one album as opposed to all albums.
Does the N5 not have play thru functionallity, if not, it should

i dont think it has. tried with mine currently

Sep 21, 2016 at 3:03 PM Post #2,184 of 2,546
Thanks PJ for your recognition and kind support, we are looking forwards to your impression and sharing.

Cayin is a new player in the portable audio market, we might not be as resourceful as other leaders in the field, and we might bump into "accidents" here and there, but we stand behind our products, that I am promised with confident.
beerchug.gif

All good to hear.

Many companies make claims of no mistakes, now that's a laugh. Nice to hear your more realistic approach and commitment to support your awesome products. Incidentally, I called your Canadian pro audio distributor and he was so surprised I had found Cayin gear in Canada...."How did you find out about Cayin???" he asked, and then continued, "Cayin products are built so well, you wil not regret owning anything they make." I thought you'd like to hear that. While I'm on the subect, who distributes the portable models in Canada?

And......do you have the manual available online? I was hoping to review the N5 UI before it arrives.

Sep 21, 2016 at 3:05 PM Post #2,185 of 2,546
  Hello all

Cayin N5 is great DAP you can buy. And support of different loseless formats is nearly perfect. But... It will be really great to add wv (wavpack) functionality. 

sound is really good

Sep 21, 2016 at 4:28 PM Post #2,189 of 2,546

All good to hear.

Many companies make claims of no mistakes, now that's a laugh. Nice to hear your more realistic approach and commitment to support your awesome products. Incidentally, I called your Canadian pro audio distributor and he was so surprised I had found Cayin gear in Canada...."How did you find out about Cayin???" he asked, and then continued, "Cayin products are built so well, you wil not regret owning anything they make." I thought you'd like to hear that. While I'm on the subect, who distributes the portable models in Canada?

And......do you have the manual available online? I was hoping to review the N5 UI before it arrives.

CTC audio has some Cayin stuff. C5 & N5 atleast

Sep 21, 2016 at 4:36 PM Post #2,190 of 2,546
my n5 makes clicks when it restarts playing? is it as it suppose to do? same clicks when it doesn't play from windows

Users who are viewing this thread

Back